Beatles strike video game deal ahead of iTunes distribution

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Negotiations to bring the music of the Beatles to iTunes or any other digital download service appear to have taken a back seat to a landmark deal that will see the legendary rock band's catalog form the foundation of a new video game from the makers of Rock Band.

The triangular pact announced Thursday morning has record label Apple Corps licensing the band's vast music collection for an interactive video game that will be developed by Harmonix, creators of the Rock Band and Guitar Hero titles, and published by MTV Games.

When it hits the market ahead of the 2009 holiday shopping season, the title will offer an "unprecedented, experiential progression through and celebration of the music and artistry of The Beatles," according to the three companies, who declined to offer additional details.

Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, along with Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, have each given the project their blessing and are collectively providing creative feedback on the game. Giles Martin, co-producer of The Beatles LOVE project, will serve as the project's music producer.

"People are having so much fun playing Rock Band. Combined with The Beatles tracks, it is a great way to either listen or participate," said Olivia Harrison, widow of the late Beatles guitarist and song writer, George Harrison. "If you like the music, it doesn't take much persuasion to get you to play."

"The project is a fun idea which broadens the appeal of The Beatles and their music," added McCartney. "I like people having the opportunity to get to know the music from the inside out."

Although the game will draw upon the underlying principles and technology of Harmonix's ever-popular Rock Band title, it will be released as a brand new offering and won't share the Rock Band brand.

During a conference call covering the game's announcement Thursday morning, Apple Corps chief executive Jeff Jones was repeatedly pressed for an update on digital distribution of the Beatles' catalog through download services like iTunes, which he deferred to the end of the call.

The Beatles remain one highest profile hold-outs on the digital music scene but have been rumored (1, 2, 3) to be in negotiations regarding iTunes distribution ever since Apple and Apple Corps ended their bitter, three-decade old trademark dispute early last year.

The most recent report on the matter suggested that remastered versions of the Beatles' catalog were unlikely to crop up on iTunes until sometime in 2009, though similar claims were being made about 2008 a year earlier. Even then, they won't be exclusive to the Apple download service, an Apple Corps official said last year.

At the end of Thursday's conference call, Jones returned to the subject of digital distribution but provided no new color on the situation. "All I can say is that we're still working out the details, we have no announcement to make, no date or any information," he said.

In June, AppleInsider reported (on its blogs) rumors that the Beatles' first digital music releases would arrive through video games rather than direct downloads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"All I can say is that we're still working out the details, we have no announcement to make, no date or any information," he said.

Fine... While you're still working out the details, we'll be downloading your music illegally and probably will never need to buy your records anymore, ever!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Fine... While you're still working out the details, we'll be downloading your music illegally and probably will never need to buy your records anymore, ever!

It's borderline ridiculous at this point, I agree, but piracy really isn't the answer =P

K
  • Reply 3 of 26
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I'm still surprised how big the market for these games is. It's an industry worth $1.2bil a year. For comparison, the whole of iTunes is only worth $2bil!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    As timeless as the Beatles are, they still better hurry. They are in danger of losing their potential audience. The prime music buying demographic is approaching the age where they have no idea who the Beatles are.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I'll definitely be buying this; especially if there's a Monkees expansion disc in 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I feel sorry for the self-confessed Beatles fanatic- Steve Jobs. I guess he won't enter a stage anymore to "Revolution".

I guess that's payback for stealing their name.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Rock Band.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    The revenge of Yoko!
  • Reply 9 of 26
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    This is pretty shocking. It would be nice to fill in some holes in my Beatles collection. My two-year-old loves singing Beatles stuff.

Where's that Sergeant Peppers branded iPod Classic?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

As timeless as the Beatles are, they still better hurry. They are in danger of losing their potential audience. The prime music buying demographic is approaching the age where they have no idea who the Beatles are.

That could be why they are waiting. That younger demographic doesn't already own

every single Beatles track, like most of us old geezers.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Where's that Sergeant Peppers branded iPod Classic?

Same place as that Monkees Zune.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

It's borderline ridiculous at this point, I agree, but piracy really isn't the answer =P

K

All we are saying is... give piracy a chance.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Bah who cares. If someone really wants The Beatles in digital format, just buy the CDs and rip them to MP3s or AAC or whatever using iTunes or whichever ripping program you prefer.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    You've gotta give to the Beatles. They manage to convince people of this free-lovin' peaceniks but in reality they are run-amuck Capitalists to the nth degree. The group makes more per year in revenues than most groups in their prime do. Not bad for a group done over 30 years past.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Bah who cares. If someone really wants The Beatles in digital format, just buy the CDs and rip them to MP3s or AAC or whatever using iTunes or whichever ripping program you prefer.

Problem solved.

It's not what we want- it's what Steve wants -and he wants to sell you the Magical Mystery tour.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You've gotta give to the Beatles. They manage to convince people of this free-lovin' peaceniks but in reality they are run-amuck Capitalists to the nth degree. The group makes more per year in revenues than most groups in their prime do. Not bad for a group done over 30 years past.

Hey- they're not the only ones around here who've convinced people that they're not in it for the money.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I don’t doubt for a second that the Beatles want to make money; but nevertheless, they could have easily dumped their 1987 CD masters into digital channels years ago and made money hand over fist. I find it admirable that they are waiting until their newly remastered catalog is ready for release to sell it digitally. That way, none of those prime music buying demographic kids will feel cheated when an almost identical (yet superior) product is offered to them within a such a short period of time.

As for the prospect of purchasing those remasters digitally… if they are going to be worth buying, they are going to offer some kind of high definition option, such as SACD or DVD audio, and the packaging is going to far outclass the original CDs. Assuming this is the case, why on Earth would I consider purchasing a low quality digital version of said remasters (and -- best case scenario -- a PDF of the cover art) for close to the same price?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Hear yea hear yea... Beatles songs for free at MP3.com
  • Reply 19 of 26
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Keep it.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The triangular pact announced Thursday morning has record label Apple Corps licensing the band's vast music collection for an interactive video game that will be developed by Harrisongs, creators of the Rock Band and Guitar Hero titles, and published by MTV Games.

The developer of Rock Band & Guitar Hero is Harmonix, not Harrisongs. Harrisongs is the publishing company that late Beatle George Harrison started in 1968; that company has nothing to do with game development.