First Apple sign, Woz' s toolbox hit the auction block

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Those eager to capture a slice of Apple's early history will soon have the chance to bid in an auction for the company's first official signage and a toolbox belonging to one of its co-founders, both of which are estimated to command a high bidding price.

Of the items up for grabs through auction house Alexander Autographs, the most significant is the very first trade sign for "Apple Computer Inc." ever used by the company now famous for its Macs, iPhones and iPods.

The 100-inch Plexiglas sign was one of the first public displays of Apple's now-famous rainbow logo and was reportedly first used in a lit display at the first trade show ever attended by founders Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak in late 1976, when the company had the Apple I as its only product. It also served as the company's logo on various buildings until a more elaborate, permanent fixture was ready.

"That sign hung for over one year in front of the 10260 Bandley Dr. location, then in front of one of our two Bubb Rd. buildings," says early engineering worker M. Thomas Liggett Jr., who is selling both of the auction items. "When Steve Jobs' brass sign turned out not to be what was hoped for... [it] went back up... until the then new-style redwood sign arrived."

Liggett had asked to hold on to the sign as a keepsake when it was finally replaced and has held it since. That move may prove fortunate at auction: Alexander Autographs estimates that final bids will come in between $15,000 and $20,000, either of which would sit well beyond its initial value.

Apple's original trade show sign.

A more personal connection comes from Steve Wozniak's toolbox.

The rusted, scratched blue kit was also saved from the scrap heap by Liggett Jr. and was a company-issue toolbox given to Woz and other employees sometime before 1978. While it's hard to date the box, Alexander reckons that the box may have been given to Wozniak not too long after the company's 1976 founding.

And while the co-founder had left the toolset to the side out of lack of interest, it like the sign should carry a premium with its historical significance: Alexander believes the box should result in a bid between $3,000 and $5,000.

The auction will take place between November 6th and 7th and is due to include other historic relics ranging from a signed photo of Oskar Schindler to General and Enola Gay pilot Paul Tibbets' flight suit worn when he dropped the first atomic bomb.

One of Steve Wozniak's early toolboxes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those eager to capture a slice of Apple's early history will soon have the chance to bid in an auction for a sign and a toolbox that are estimated to command a surprisingly high bidding price.[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

If it's estimated it will bring high bids, how is that a surprise?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, i guess that's better than Steve Jobs' 'fresh' Depends on eBay.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Jesus.

Who the feck would want to own the jumpsuit?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Why doesn't Woz come back to Apple? That old dog still has some new tricks, he tried to convince Apple to get in the mobile-phone industry back in 2002 (Wheels Of Zeus).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Um...the sign might be of some worth, but a frickin toolbox?

Does this toolbox have anything to do with programming, or is it just a run of the mill toolbox?

What's next, Woz's toilet seat?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Woz is as good as they get in the tech industry and asset to what is left of its morals and ethics...which isn?t much these days.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Woz is as good as they get in the tech industry and asset to what is left of its morals and ethics...which isn?t much these days.

You obviously don't know Woz.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Why doesn't Woz come back to Apple? That old dog still has some new tricks, he tried to convince Apple to get in the mobile-phone industry back in 2002 (Wheels Of Zeus).

I think Apple knew about what they had to do in regard to the phone business back in 2002, they just needed the tech and the time to get it right.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I've read woz's book and he has done some revolotionary stuff in his time, if it wernt for him u probs wouldn't be here. If I could I would buy em. He is still on apples pay roll as the lowest payed employee so he still works there.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ap780 View Post

I've read woz's book and he has done some revolotionary stuff in his time, if it wernt for him u probs wouldn't be here.

He still doing revolutionary things- most recently dating Kathy Griffin!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

He still doing revolutionary things- most recently dating Kathy Griffin!

Oh please, she's had a freight train run through that thing.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Oh please, she's had a freight train run through that thing.

You mean she's had a Mac, a PC , and everything else in between? Now that's a toolbox.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ap780 View Post

I've read woz's book and he has done some revolotionary stuff in his time, if it wernt for him u probs wouldn't be here. If I could I would buy em. He is still on apples pay roll as the lowest payed employee so he still works there.

Steve Wozniak is not Apple's lowest paid employee. That honor is shared by him and Steve Jobs. They both draw an "official salary" of $1 a year from Apple, as Apple's cofounders.

Note that "salary" is different from "compensation." Jobs may be the company's most highly compensated employee, but his salary is still only $1 a year.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Noticed this piece on the auction market. It is an Apple ][ plus cover with both Steve and Woz's signature. Should probably fetch a good price https://doyle.com/auctions/20bp02-rare-books-autographs-maps/catalogue/37-jobs-steve-and-steve-wozniak-signed-lid