clean install

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
someone said on here that i should a clean install with 10.2. if i do clean install, do i have wipe the entire as well

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    the real question seems to be :

does a archive and install give you all the benefits of a clean install plu s the bonus of keeping your orig. files?

anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    well i was checking the apple messageboards, some people said archive and install is bad, one guy said it works fine<a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bb96e91/0"; target="_blank">check this link</a>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:

<strong>well i was checking the apple messageboards, some people said archive and install is bad, one guy said it works fine<a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bb96e91/0"; target="_blank">check this link</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

I have done both installs Archive and then just an upgrade!

My Observations:

Upgrade install: Took too long, have numorous problems after installing:

-Programms freazing

-Sherlock taking FOREVER to open

-Control Panels not opening

-Applications not responding

-Airport config not happening (Possibly just a coincidence as opposed to a Jag error)

Clean Install:

-Fast Install(Didnt install lingo support)

-kept all my configs

-Everything is faster

-Havent had a single problem now!

-Things are much quicker!!!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    MacWorld has just published an install article from their upcoming October issue. Here's the link to it: <a href="http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install.html"; target="_blank">http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install.html</a>;

Migrate to OS X 10.2 with a Clean Install

DATELINE: October 2002 Issue

By Dan Frakes

"Before you can enjoy the benefits of OS X 10.2, you first need to install it -- which may not be as easy as it sounds. Although you can update your existing OS X system to 10.2, you may encounter several problems (including crashing applications) after doing so.

To avoid this, we suggest using the installer's new Archive And Install option, which installs a complete version of 10.2 and saves everything from your previous OS X system. (Once you've chosen your destination volume for installation, click on the Options button, select Archive And Install, and then select Preserve Users And Network Settings.) The best part is, this option moves your Users folder -- retaining your accounts and settings -- as well as the contents of your Applications folder to the new system. There is still work to be done to get everything back to the way it was; however, we're here to help with the manual labor..."
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I upgraded and it only took 35m on my Dual 533. No problems at all!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Where's the option to do a clean install??

I don't seem to have a choice. I select destination disk and it says "You have chosen to upgrade on this disk" there is never an "options" button or anything. Unless it comes after you click "Upgrade" but I didn't want to do that and start the install.

Please help!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by SledgeHammer:

<strong>Where's the option to do a clean install??

I don't seem to have a choice. I select destination disk and it says "You have chosen to upgrade on this disk" there is never an "options" button or anything. Unless it comes after you click "Upgrade" but I didn't want to do that and start the install.

Please help!</strong><hr></blockquote>

i didn't see it at first either. you should see an options button (lovwer left corner) somewhere along the process (early on)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    Just did the mother of all clean installs. Took a little over an hour, but that included installing the extra hard drive I bought for 10.2. Of course, I'll have to configure it from scratch, but that's fine since I wasn't too clear on the process when I first installed OS X. Maybe I'll get it right this time. Just spent enough time in 10.2 to confirm one thing - on my dual 800/GeForce3 it's definitely snappier.