Apple releases iLife Support 8.3.1 update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released iLife Support 8.3.1 [11.7MB], which provides system software components shared by all iLife ?08 applications. The update is recommended for all users for iLife ?08 running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, as it improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues.

The patch also addresses three similar security issues where viewing a maliciously crafted TIFF or large JPEG image may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution on systems running Mac OS X Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I wonder how one creates a maliciously crafted TIFF or JPG? Additional code added to the file somehow? All that scratchin' is makin' me itch!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wonder how one creates a maliciously crafted TIFF or JPG? Additional code added to the file somehow? All that scratchin' is makin' me itch!

One such method is embedding a regular .jpg with javascript instructions to install a "Keylogger". (Leads to the Wikipedia article)

EXTREMELY common in Windows forum communities. Like the World of Warcraft forums. People will post seemingly normal screenshot URL links of their "customized desktop", only to infect others who click the link to see it. The keylogger then records their keyboard inputs, looking for passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal information. Very dangerous stuff.