Would a DVD from a different region be able to play on the computer?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Would it? I want to watch a foreign DVD that has little chance of coming to DVD in US of A. I bought a DVD set from dvdsetshop.com, i guess it is region 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Here's the big picture for you. Region protection can come in at two levels.

The way it used to be was that the player software (like Apple's DVD Player) checked from the DVD drive what region it was, compared to what region the disc in the drive was, and refused to play if those were different. This was simple to bypass by using VLC or another player that doesn't care about regions.

Apple took a more anti-consumer stance and began equipping computers with DVD drives that check - in hardware - whether the newly loaded disc is from a different region, and if so, will refuse to read the bits off the disk altogether.

So it depends on what drive you are using. Some drives also have hacked firmware available that you can replace the original firmware with, and which alternately stop the region check, define the drive as region 0 (can read all disks) or enable you to change the region infinitely. The thing about loading 3rd party firmware is that you run a risk of bricking the drive.

For example, my Macbook has one of the drives that do a hardware check, and there is no alternate firmware available for it. So it won't be able to read different region DVDs, no matter what.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Not quite Gon, you can change the Apple DVD Players' region code up to five times before you're locked into one setting. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2397

But you are correct that the region code setting is now done in the hardware and can't be bypassed by software. To do what Hero wants to do I would suggest getting an external DVD drive and setting it to region 2.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Not quite Gon, you can change the Apple DVD Players' region code up to five times before you're locked into one setting. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2397

I assumed he already knew how things work "officially" and explained the workarounds. It's not like using those charges is a good idea for him, anyway. He could only watch the movie twice - assuming he went back to R1 in between - before he'd need to stay in R1 permanently.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I assumed he already knew how things work "officially" and explained the workarounds. It's not like using those charges is a good idea for him, anyway. He could only watch the movie twice - assuming he went back to R1 in between - before he'd need to stay in R1 permanently.

I wasn't making that assumption. With this being Heroes first post I am assuming he's a newbe and gave a link to where he could get the straight information.

Like you say, changing regions is a problem. That's why I recommend getting a second, external DVD drive. He can leave his internal drive set for region 1 and set the external drive to region 2.