xp on macbook multitouch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i am thinking of buying a macbook in near future, and would like to know, if i dual boot xp along with OS X, will the multitouch track pad functionality work in xp or not, atleast the two finger touch for right mouse click?

also what virtualization software are available to boot into xp and how will xp perform under virtualization software as compared to dual boot???

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Not at the moment. Apple has not released windows drivers for the new trackpad.

As for virtualization, there are Parallels and VMware. Parallels will work with the boot camp portion. I'm not sure about VMware.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I'm running xp on a new macbook pro with Fusion 2.0 and the double finger right click works. I installed xp with bootcamp and use that volume to run a virtualized XP and I have to admit that it is quite fast (faster than I expected). I'm sure the new parallels 4.0 is just as fast now that they've optimized it and it runs SMP (my wife uses 3.0 and it's a little slow and a resource hog). I guess it's a matter of preference which VM you chose. Fusion has better ratings (on the apple store) and is developed by a larger company. On the other hand, Parallels seems to do just fine for my wife on a 2007 Macbook, we'll be updating to 4.0 soon.

Also, I'd bookmark the link I've included, when it comes time to load win xp in bootcamp, a lot of people (including myself) run into problems loading service packs. You have to edit the registry to point the boot volume to C: or you get an error that there is not enough space".

http://www.windowsreference.com/gene...nstalling-sp3/

I was a little worried about running a virtualized XP on Mac OS X, and how it would affect the speed of my machine, but now that everything is humming along, I'm thinking about loading Ubuntu and running all of the Operating Systems simultaneously.

Hope this helps....

Machead