How to access newly installed HD?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The 160GB HD on my 2x2GB G5 has only got 7.9GB left due to memory intensive software: FCP, Logic 8 etc. I therefore installed a 2nd drive, a 500GB HD, bought from an Apple store. Its icon sits on the desktop, so everything is fine.

I am self-taught with everything computer and usually find answers in my computer books, but not this time.

How can I now utilize the new 500GB disk as my working disc?/Startup disc? I believe, the OS + other software must be installed on the new drive, or can it be transferred from the nearly depleted 160GB drive. I do not have much content in photos or other files on this drive, its mainly software.

I edit FCP on external LaCie drives (300+500GB)

The newly installed disc does not show up on in preferences/startup disc panel, probably because it does not contain the OS.

My question again: How can I access the newly installed 500GB Harddrive as my working/startup disc? http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1oyvey.gif

Comments

• Reply 2 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310?viewlocale=en_US

try this

That won't help. He'll need to install OS X on the 500 GB drive if he wants to boot from it.

My question to Camman is: why do you want to boot off the 500 GB drive? Why not just use that as additional storage?

Anyway, if you really want to boot off that 500 GB drive, grab yourself Carbon Copy Cloner and use it to "clone" your 160 GB drive to the 500 GB drive. Then set the 500 GB drive as your boot volume and make sure everything is working OK from that drive before erasing the 160 GB one.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That won't help. He'll need to install OS X on the 500 GB drive if he wants to boot from it.

My question to Camman is: why do you want to boot off the 500 GB drive? Why not just use that as additional storage?

Anyway, if you really want to boot off that 500 GB drive, grab yourself Carbon Copy Cloner and use it to "clone" your 160 GB drive to the 500 GB drive. Then set the 500 GB drive as your boot volume and make sure everything is working OK from that drive before erasing the 160 GB one.

The article clearly states you need to to have and operating system already installed in order to boot off of the drive
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

The article clearly states you need to to have and operating system already installed in order to boot off of the drive

Exactly. So it won't help him, will it? He needs to know how to get his current system from the 160 GB drive to the 500 GB drive. CCC is the answer.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Exactly. So it won't help him, will it? He needs to know how to get his current system from the 160 GB drive to the 500 GB drive. CCC is the answer.

Sure it will, Step 1) install OS X Step 2) select the appropriate drive. Simple, free. So, either solution will work.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Hi all,

Thank you for your help, guys. I do not necessarily want to boot off the 500GB HDD, but linking the two together will mean, in case of a crash they both go, thus double the risk.

How can I start using the new HDD without this risk factor. Anyway, I also do not know how to link 2 HDD's together.

I am using FCP with a 300 and 500 external (LaCie brand). When the 300 ran out of space, I added the 500 in the scratch disc box and suddenly added it to my available memory total.

If I could do that somehow with the second inbuilt HDD, without the re-installation of the same software, that would be ideal. Having the same software programs on both inbuilt HDD's perhaps could also cause a conflict.

Many thanks again, cheers, Camman
  • Reply 7 of 14
    to Mr. H,

Your suggestion, to use the second newly installed HDD (500GB) as additional storage, is my wish.

How do I do that? What menu in the OS deals with that? It's probably done with a click, if you know where.

Your help Is very much appreciated Mr. H. Thanks.

Camman
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Camman, you seem to be very confused. So much so that now you're confusing me!

You mention "linking" your two HDDs together. Presumably you are talking about the two internal HDDs? In any case, you can't do this.

I guess that what you are thinking of here is an internal RAID, but to do that the two HDDs have to be the same capacity. RAID 0 can take two disks and make them "look" like one large disk of twice the capacity and higher data throughput, but as you say if one disk fails you lose everything. Anyway, this is an aside because as I said your drives aren't of equal capacity so you can't RAID them together.

In terms of using the 500 GB drive as extra capacity, just save your video files in FCP to the 500 GB drive. I've never used FCP so I can't give specific directions. Are you working on one giant project with many source video files or several projects? If the latter, just start saving your projects to the 500 GB drive.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Hi Mr.H,

Thank you for your response. Sorry to confuse you, it wasn't intended.

I try to convey my situation again as clearly as possible:

I have a G5 twin 2GB with 2GB memory/160GB HDD.

As I have some space-intensive software programs installed (FCP, Logic8, Photoshop etc.),

most of the 160GB is taken up by that.

With only 10GB left I installed a 500GB HDD in the extra drawer. Everythink seems fine, the icon for it is on the desktop.

Ideally, I would like the computer to start using these 500 GB as storage, once the 160 GB are depleted. What should I do to affect that?

If that is not possible, how can I drag over the total content of the existing 160GB HDD to the newly installed 500GB?

When I encounter problems, I usually look for a remedy or advice in my computer books. But in this case I found no solution in any of my books.

A suggestion to solve my task is very much appreciated.

Have a nice day! Camman
  • Reply 10 of 14
    You should keep your system and applications on the 160 GB HDD, and move data you have (e.g. video files, music files, jpgs) from it to the 500 GB HDD until you've got about 20 GB HDD space free on the 160 GB drive (you need to keep a decent amount of free space on your start-up drive for temporary files and virtual memory).

From then on, any new files you import from a camera or create in logic, etc., you should save to the 500 GB drive.

If you don't know how to do either of those things it's probably best to get someone familiar with FCP and logic to come to your house/office to show you how (or to make an appointment at a genius bar and take your G5 with you), I don't know how FCP or logic keep track of files in projects. It could be that it's best to move entire projects rather than trying to split sources across disks, or having source files on multiple disks could be no problem at all.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Hello Mr. H.,

And thank you again for your information. I will take your advice and try to find a Mac expert to analyze my situation.

Cheers, Camman
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Hi all,

I finally found the answer to my question, given by the computer!

When loading 'Leopard' on the recently installed 500GB HDD I was asked whether I would like all volumes in the computer transfered to the new location. Now I have another 330GB available and made this HDD my startup. The 160GB MacHDD I will eventually reformat and use it for music generation only. The transfer of the approx. 140GB took about 2 hours. This is exactly what I wanted, but did not know how to go about it.

Just thought I share with you what I did.

Cheers, Camman http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1smile.gif
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camman View Post

Hi all,

When loading 'Leopard' on the recently installed 500GB HDD I was asked whether I would like all volumes in the computer transfered to the new location. Now I have another 330GB available and made this HDD my startup. The 160GB MacHDD I will eventually reformat and use it for music generation only. The transfer of the approx. 140GB took about 2 hours. This is exactly what I wanted, but did not know how to go about it.

Glad you've got it how you want it. Thanks for coming back to let us know.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camman View Post

Hi all,

Yup, glad to hear it worked out. This was probably one of the best solutions available.