New seed sees Apple near wrap-up of Mac OS X 10.5.6

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A quickly released follow-up test build of Mac OS X 10.5.6 comes with no known problems and points to Apple getting much closer to a finished patch.

Build 9G38, whose seed notes were posted online late Saturday by HMBT, is said by Apple to have no known issues and comes just three days after build 9G35, which had only only a few problems to target of its own.

The removal of any known glitches from these lists isn't by itself an indication that 10.5.6 is ready but does show Apple in the very last stages of its development cycle, which usually only leave a small amount of testing for those areas of the software the company believes may still contain hidden bugs.

Apple's fixed item list is relatively small and touches on synching as a whole, problems with DVI output and the Superdrive, and downloading playlists.

As with the version released earlier in the week, 9G38 is said to focus on MobileMe and the automatic sync process, especially with those networks where lag and bandwidth are known concerns. It also asks testers to check transfer performance when they sync from Me.com rather than a computer or a mobile device.

An extra focus is on sending mail either partly or entirely in non-Latin languages, such as Chinese or Hangul. Apple's engineering team also reportedly wants to hear of any problems that hard-lock the system in a kernel panic or freeze.

The new test code continues to have a very broad scope and lists over 80 apps or system components one which Apple wants to focus; this is one of Apple's most ambitious yet for its roughly year-old operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    Tuesday. Mark my words.

• Reply 2 of 67
    so....

What are we gonna see at macworld in January?

I was gonna buy the new macbook the day it came out, but after seeing the prices/specs, soon came to the conclusion that the white macbook is getting scrapped, and the current models are being priced down in January.

but most importantly, i'm thinking there will be some new software upgrade in January.

i'm hoping
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Hopefully there are some nice graphics driver improvements in 10.5.6 as hinted at in the recent Torque Game Engine Advanced for Mac Beta system requirements:

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/985/15671

Quote:

OS X 10.5.5 (we highly recommend updating to 10.5.6 when it comes out...it fixes some serious driver bugs)

Hopefully these bug fixes translate into performance gains.

And I guess this means iPhone 2.2 is close too to tie in the MobileMe syncing stuff. Which probably means the obligatory update to iTunes as well.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iijuanii View Post

so....

I was gonna buy the new macbook the day it came out, but after seeing the prices/specs, soon came to the conclusion that the white macbook is getting scrapped, and the current models are being priced down in January.

but most importantly, i'm thinking there will be some new software upgrade in January.

i'm hoping

Refreshed iMacs, Mac Pros, and (hopefully) Mac Minis. Possibly definite, concrete news and demos of Snow Leopard. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new version of iLife and/or iWork, maybe Aperture or Final Cut (probably not, though), and please (PLEASE, Apple) iPhone push notification that was promised for September!!

As far as the white MacBook getting axed, I tend to agree with you, but I highly doubt they will drop the prices of the current aluminum models. They will probably replace the white MacBook with an aluminum model with the same specs (sans FireWire, of course \ ) and keep it at $999, or possibly bump it back up to $1099. Keeping the white MacBook had all the signs of an end-of-life inventory dump, and it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the Mac line (aluminum, glass, etc.)
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Hangul = Korean script
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Hopefully there are some nice graphics driver improvements in 10.5.6 as hinted at in the recent Torque Game Engine Advanced for Mac Beta system requirements:

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/985/15671

Hopefully these bug fixes translate into performance gains.

I guess that new graphics drivers are coming. I'd specially love the QuickTime hardware acceleration that 9400 have but on my 8600.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

so....

i'm hoping

Most likely a new Mac Mini and iMac.

The Mac Pro and xServe could use some polish and might see an upgrades at MacWorld.

Software-wise don't expect much. iLife and iWork will come out with new version with Snow Leopard in June. MobileMe might get some slight tweaks and additions.

MacWorld looks like it will be a ho-hum deal. No new iPhones or iPods are expected, but maybe a new release of the iPhone OS.

AppleTV might see its third remaking. Unless Apple buys El Gato and incorporates PVR that will be another so-so announcement. If Apple merges the AppleTV and Mac Mini foregoing the optical drive that would be something.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

AppleTV might see its third remaking. Unless Apple buys El Gato and incorporates PVR that will be another so-so announcement. If Apple merges the AppleTV and Mac Mini foregoing the optical drive that would be something.

As nice as that would be, it would compete directly with the iTS and piss off every single network. I do think we'll eventually see an El Gato USB solution but only through an XMBC/Boxee-type hack.

PS: Does anyone have any ideas how the Mac Pro could be altered?
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Refreshed iMacs, Mac Pros, and (hopefully) Mac Minis.

I had originally thought they'd refresh those in the weeks leading up to Christmas, but with Macworld being pretty early this year (starts the 5th) and Apple confirming their product line is "set", I guess they will be part of the show, albeit a pretty small part (unless they redesign the Mac mini, iMac, and/or Mac Pro).

Quote:

Possibly definite, concrete news and demos of Snow Leopard.

I'm guessing (and hoping) a Snow Leopard demo will be one of the major highlights of the show. I remember when they demoed Leopard at WWDC and then showed what it really looked like - translucent Menu Bar, 3D Dock, unified window borders, etc. - at Macworld the following January (if my chronology is correct). The chances of this happening again are high, but the differences in Leopard and Snow Leopard will be more subtle. I just want to hear Jobs say "oh and one more thing...NO MORE AQUA."

Quote:

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new version of iLife and/or iWork, maybe Aperture or Final Cut (probably not, though)

Very likely. I personally wonder if they'll finally stop dating their iLife and iWork suites with '07, '08, etc.

Quote:

and please (PLEASE, Apple) iPhone push notification that was promised for September!!

Yes! And don't forget about MobileMe's still absent iDisk link-to-attachment feature.

Quote:

As far as the white MacBook getting axed, I tend to agree with you, but I highly doubt they will drop the prices of the current aluminum models.

Or maybe we'll see a more revised Air instead, with a glass, black-bordered display, glass, buttonless trackpad, and perhaps the rumored partial carbon fiber body. The slightly revised ones released a few weeks ago are nice, but they feel like a stopgap measure. Plus, they're not nearly as compelling as they once were now that the MacBook is aluminum, less than an inch thick, and only a pound and a half heavier than the Air.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:

Refreshed iMacs, Mac Pros, and (hopefully) Mac Minis. Possibly definite, concrete news and demos of Snow Leopard. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new version of iLife and/or iWork, maybe Aperture or Final Cut (probably not, though), and please (PLEASE, Apple) iPhone push notification that was promised for September!!

As far as the white MacBook getting axed, I tend to agree with you, but I highly doubt they will drop the prices of the current aluminum models. They will probably replace the white MacBook with an aluminum model with the same specs (sans FireWire, of course \ ) and keep it at $999, or possibly bump it back up to $1099. Keeping the white MacBook had all the signs of an end-of-life inventory dump, and it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the Mac line (aluminum, glass, etc.)

Well. If they drop the white MacBook my best bet is that they scrap the white one. But do you think they can still keep the mid level MacBook at 2.0ghz? or shift down the models.to where you're now paying 1099 for the current midlevel MacBook etc?
  • Reply 11 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

But do you think they can still keep the mid level MacBook at 2.0ghz? or shift down the models.to where you're now paying 1099 for the current midlevel MacBook etc?

I think the cost is too high and will be too high come January to remove the White MB from the lineup. I think we have another year before Apple can consider its removal. I have a feeling that it's probably selling pretty well at its new price-point.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    I'm hoping (praying) for a MacBook Pro option of a non-reflective screen.

Until then, I cannot seriously consider buying one.

A.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asterion View Post

A.

I'm with you. Right now, for the first time in my 29 years of buying Apple computers, Apple doesn't make a machine I can use. Worst decision they've made in many years.

That said, I can't imagine they'll reverse that decision so quickly. I certainly hope that everyone that finds glossy unacceptable is making their case known to Apple so they can "fix" this terribly disappointing situation soon. There are a few polls out that show it's no tiny minority. Here's one:

http://www.macosxhints.com/polls/ind...8glossy&aid=-1

Note that this poll (with enough respondents to be believable) shows a roughly combined 44.5 % that dislike glossy, 39 % that like it, and 13.5 % that haven't decided. If you divide the "haven't decided" group proportionately, you get about 51.5% that prefer matte! Even if it's off by 10%, that's a huge chunk of disappointed users. And for what reason? Note that 30% (are at least stating that they) will not buy the machines because of it! What the hell is Apple thinking?!

Join me in changing your sig...
  • Reply 14 of 67
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

I don't believe it will ever happen with the new design, because the black border around the display would probably look terrible with a matte finish, and it would raise the uncomfortable question of why a matte finish isn't an option for the MacBook and iMac, too. (Maybe even for the iPhone!) IMO the black border will have to go--replaced by aluminum perhaps--before Apple will offer a matte option.

Perhaps the redesigned 17" will differ enough from the 15" that a matte finish can still be offered without impacting the aesthetics. I've read of video editing professionals needing a matte finish display more than most users. The 17" MBP, which can display full 1080p resolution, seems likely in its redesign to support the new Intel mobile quad-core processors, and this would benefit video editors as well.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    I LOVE my new Macbook Pro. I find the screen thing a complete non-issue... I thought it might be a problem but find I actually never even think about it when I'm using my computer.

Quote:

A.

• Reply 16 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

so....

i'm hoping

Wow, it doesn't look like you even tried to stay on topic. You've derailed the thread on the second post.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:

A.

I think the company that makes the matte screen protectors for iPhone should make them for the MacBook line. Then those who dislike the new screens can buy them.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

The white MB was clearly released in deference to the looming recession here, the one that's already present in Europe, and coming around the rest of the world.

I don't know why they would pull it, unless they were able to quickly put something else together. Jobs has said that the aluminum cases do cost more to produce, though they would come down in time. I'm pretty sure they tried to figure out a way to make one less expensive, but I can't see a way right now.

But as Jeff says, this is off topic.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wow, it doesn't look like you even tried to stay on topic. You've derailed the thread on the second post.

Heh! Honestly though Jeff, it IS a pretty boring topic by itself.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:

If they do discontinue the white MacBook and go all aluminum with the line that would be great! But please...no more combo drives on the low end model. That just doesn't make any sense nowadays when super drives are so cheap, and with your lowest priced white MacBook containing a superdrive. I'll miss firewire, though I'll get over it.