Archive and Install -> Previous System: Can I kill it?

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I installed Jag and did an Archive and Install. After seeing that everything was working well, I decided to free up a GB or so and got rid of the "Previous System" folder.

A few days later the user of the Mac says that its acting a bit loopy at times: Word not starting up, other apps quitting, ect.

I had made sure that all the apps they use are up to date and in most cases are identical to what I use.

I did a Clean Install (formatted my drives) so I had no previous files to worry about.

So, should there be any probs with killing the Previous System folder?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Murphy's Law would say that you won't need the old stuff until you delete it.

Can you at least burn it on an archive CD/DVD to free up all that disc space?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the Previous System folder is already tucked away and sleeping with the fish.

I looked through the apps it backed up and there was nothing really useful.

All the prefs and network settings, keychains, etc etc had been kept so, why bother.

I was just wondering if ANY resources were still shared between whats in NEW install and the old crap
  • Reply 3 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    There is nothing shared between the previous system and the new system. Basically what it did was move all the contents of your drive to that folder then move the users folder back out and into the new users directory. HTH.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    thats what I thought too, but you may never know seeing all this new stuff going on.

In anycase, I'll have to see whats up with the G4.

Why is it that Macs work perfectly when I use them and then others manage to fubar everything once I leave????

yeesh