New Iphone pro dimensions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
6.75" x 3.60" x .40"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    A phone that doesn't fit in your pants pocket? Brilliant.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    regular size iphone for regular pockets, maybe a nano phone for small pockets,

the iphone pro will have approx 5.25 inches of screen space, so yeah it is big....probably the biggest you would actually still want to use as a phone....I will buy one
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Quote:

I will buy one

No you won't.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

No you won't.

yep...i will...probably you too
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Nuh huh
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Quote:

Yeah, and I really want to hold something with a 5" screen up to my ear all the time. That won't look stupid at all...
  • Reply 7 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

This is an un-Apple product.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post

6.75" x 3.60" x .40"

Seriously if you want to confirm what would be an ideal sized larger iPhone simply grab you checkbook. Thinking about this the dimensions you have posted are fairly close anyway.

This is a size that still fits in a pocket well but isn't obtrusive. As you must already realize the screen real estate increase over the current iPhone. Hopefully Apple has something coming soon.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Yeah, and I really want to hold something with a 5" screen up to my ear all the time. That won't look stupid at all...

Actually in this day and age holding any phone up to your ear would look a bit out of place. Between hands free and ear bud / mic combos I don't see many people holding cell phones to their heads.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...I don't see many people holding cell phones to their heads.

This thread gets weirder by the second... which is pretty impressive given how few words have been used.

Wasn't anyone else chuckling at a the first post which contained only dimensions? I thought about replying with just a percentage, but decided that was too subtle.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Seriously if you want to confirm what would be an ideal sized larger iPhone simply grab you checkbook. ...

Really?! The numbers in the OP are larger than my checkbook (including cover) in every dimension.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    btw except for depth I just multiplied the current model by 1.5, the idea being 5 inches is still small enough to be used as a phone but would fill in as a tablet/pda for most people, any larger then you start to getting into competing with the macbooks and possibly macbook touches which are being discussed in another thread.

this form would also allow for more memory and a bigger battery. I am hopeful apple will release a phone this size.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    What's a checkbook ?
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Quote:

Actually in this day and age holding any phone up to your ear would look a bit out of place. Between hands free and ear bud / mic combos I don't see many people holding cell phones to their heads.

Dave

Are you kidding? Even the iPhone owners I know refuse to use bluetooth headsets.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:

This thread gets weirder by the second... which is pretty impressive given how few words have been used.

What's wierd, my comments or the people you meet while traveling about town. I see so many people now adays talking into thin air that I wonder at times if I missed the mall and ended up in a mental hospital. Even the talking to ghosts wouldn't be that bad buT these people are so detached that they run right into you or trip over a flower pot. Of course you quickly realize that no they aren't nuts they are just talking on their cell phones. The thought that these totally detached people will soon be on the road driving only make what would be funny into something scary.

Quote:

Wasn't anyone else chuckling at a the first post which contained only dimensions? I thought about replying with just a percentage, but decided that was too subtle.

Why laugh? Somebody is just trying to get a concept across.

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What's a checkbook ?

You know in the old days, when people where responsible and didn't get in over their heads with debt. This before the days when the bleeding hearts said that everybody should be able to get a mortgage even if they couldn't afford it or lived in the bad section of town.

Of course what is funny here is that we just went and elected a whole bunch of these idiots who think we can help people by giving them things they don't really need and can't afford. Responsibility doesn't suddenly come when riches are thrown at you, you have to have the character to take on the resposibility.

So why do people not know about check books? Probably because the don't want to take on the resposibility of balancing the accounts.

Now to try to jump back on the tracks, it is the size of a check book that makes for easy communications here. It can effectively represent the size and girth of a larger IPod Touch device.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 74
    you must already realize the screen real estate increase over the current iPhone. Hopefully Apple has something coming soon.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:

Dave

I was kidding. I've had a checkbook for 30 years. These days it sits comfortably in a desk drawer and never moves.

But what does that have to do with amassing debt?... I use a debt card, not a credit card.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    When I was sizing things, I thought that 3" x 5" is the largest possible planform a mobile device could have. This is the approximate size of Palm PDAs or PocketPC devices. This is still quite big, but it fits in my back pants pocket. One can put a 4.5" 3:2 screen on it and still have sizable bezels. This would represent a 65% larger screen than the current 3.5" iPhone. I'm not sure I'd propose Apple doing it as it won't be a high volume seller. It would be nice for them to do to have a more complete lineup, but we've been screaming about that for ages.

On the other hand, if Apple could design a phone strong enough so that it only has 0.1" bezels on the side (unibody aluminum design?), they could place a 4" screen on the currently iPhone planform, and I presume have the same ~0.5" thickness. Add in a 720x480 res screen, and voila, they have the next-gen iPhone.

Also, by reducing the bezel on the current iPhone, they could create a more phone friendly planform of 4.4 x 2.2 inches or so and still have a 3.5" screen. 2" wide is better, but going from 2.4 to 2.2 will feel like a whole lot. This would be the high volume seller, and it maintains the 3.5" 480x320 screen of today so that all apps continue to work with zero changes.

The key is the bezel width. If they can manage a 0.1 bezel for a "pro" phone, they can manage a 5" screen and still maintain a 3" x 5" planform.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    3x5 inches is too large for people to actually carry around in their pockets. (especially when it is a rigid object)

This design quandary is old-hat for the field of human factors. It is well understood already, both theoretically and from empirical data, the size and shape of objects that people are willing to tote around on a daily basis. New technology will not change the design constraints since they are human in origin, not a technological shortcoming.

The exact size is certainly up for debate, but 3x5 is definitely too big. Only a minuscule percentage of people are found carrying such objects around.

Another factor to consider is that at a certain size, one hand usage becomes less prevalent.

I suppose you could throw belt mounted or purse contained into the mix... but for pockets, 3x5 is too big.