Firewire 3200 on mobile hard drives

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For those of us who use external mobile hard drives with our MacBook Pros, and require high speed data transfer for video editing, I decided to ask LaCie if they have plans to introduce hard drives supporting Firewire 3200.

Here is the response I received from the LaCie sales team:

Quote:

I have spoken to my colleagues and so far we have not received any news of FireWire 3200. So far we haven?t heard about any of the upcoming drives supporting FW 3200. Stay tuned soon enough once it is readily available we will likely have supporting drives. But so far we don?t know any thing more than you do.

Currently eSata is the fastest way to connect an external hard drive to a MacBook Pro, but it requires an adapter using the ExpressCard slot. It looks like eSata will continue to be the best option, and we'll have to wait at least another year to see if Firewire 3200 or USB 3.0 can provide a better choice that will be included on a MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I think USB 3.0 is a given. It's a fairly inexpensive technology to add and it is the heir apparent to USB 2.0.

FW 3.2Gbps is somewhat of an enigma. Apple has failed to distinguish Firewirew as a connection that can do wonderful things. They've had the option to support it and have not taken advantage.

We'll see where thing go but FW 3.2Gbps isn't going to supplant USB 3.0 in areas where burst transfer rate is important. USB 3.0 is going to be cheaper and more ubiquitious. Where we need to see FW 3.2 spread it's wings is in device communication.

Yamaha had an opportunity with mLan. http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/mlan/ but they just didn't embrace it enough after they aquired the technology and their implementation was too expensive.

HANA http://www.hanaalliance.org/ has been trying to push FW as an interconnect for AV applications but trying to get these AV companies on the same page is like herding cats. Companies by default want to differentiate themselves from other companies. It doesn't lend to co-operation often.

We'll see what the future holds for USB and Firewire.