How to truly erase an application?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was trying to configure an Automator workflow with Virtual Input V2.

I assigned it to move the mouse to a coordinate, wait 10 second and repeat. I sampled to see if it worked.

Virtual Input or Automator grayed out the stop button and I had to shut both apps down by force.

Now every time I open Virtual Input it moves the mouse every 10 seconds regardless of Automator being closed. It is frozen, too. No coordinate tracking, spinning beach ball when I roll over it, have to force quit.

I tried erasing and reinstalling and it didn't help.

I tried moving to trash, ejecting the disk image, trashing the .DMG, securing empty trash, rebooting, re-downloading the disk image, booting the NEW disk image, installing a NEW copy of Virtual Input. It still moves the cursor on its own!

WTF do I need to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    It sounds like a preference file is still in the system. ... You can try and do a spotlight search for the name of application to see if any preference files show up. (sometimes they are named differently than the application or just don't show up)...An application called app Zapper will automatically find all the related files to an application once you drag and drop the application onto the icon. I think it's $12; but a handy litle tool to get all the parts of an app. That can be embedded all over the computer sometimes. ...let us know your luck.

Cheers.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    try appdelete. just drag app on it and it removes everything. if you have already deleted app it self then push command f and find all preferences manually and delete.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Use the Secure Empty Trash option. It will take a long time, but you won't have to worry about the application coming up again in any form.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    App Zapper Definitely the way to go i love it.......works great!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jixer197 View Post

App Zapper Definitely the way to go i love it.......works great!

I think that I have heard of it. "The Uninstaller that Apple forgot"! HAHA! I love it!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leviticus View Post

I think that I have heard of it. "The Uninstaller that Apple forgot"! HAHA! I love it!

Also AppCleaner - been using that one for about 2 years now, always does the trick for me (and AFAIK it's free)