Apple authorizes MMS on the iPhone, but not for US users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Swedish iPhone owners will soon have something they can hold over the heads of most other users of the touchscreen handset: an Apple-sanctioned way of sending and receiving picture and video messages.

According to a report published by Macworld Sweden, Apple has given the go-ahead to its regional wireless partner Telia to develop its own MMS application for the iPhone.

MMS (or Multimedia Messaging Service) functionality has stood out among a short list of glaring omissions from the otherwise cutting-edge handset. The cellular standard, which can be found on a wide variety of mobile phones, offers a simple means of sending multi-media messages that include images, audio, video and rich text.

Out of the box, iPhones only support SMS (or Short Message Service), which limits transmissions to short text-based message. This had lead some users to hack their iPhones in order to gain MMS capabilities, or attempt to emulate multimedia messaging through the use of special email address and the handset's built-in Mail application.

It's reported that Telia will be ready to push their MMS application into users' hands within the next couple of months. So far there's no word that Apple has approved similar applications for iPhone users in other regions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    5 will get you 10 that the holdup here in the US ain't Apple but rather ATT. MMS would use more bandwidth, especially since folks will jump on it over SMS and possibly even email at times. and we know the bandwidth issues ATT is having lately.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    The article Title says "not for US users" but the article itself ends with:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... So far there's no word that Apple has approved similar applications for iPhone users in other regions. ...

Which is it?

It can't be both.

Or is this just click bait?

I thought you guys were better than that.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

5 will get you 10 that the holdup here in the US ain't Apple but rather ATT. MMS would use more bandwidth, especially since folks will jump on it over SMS and possibly even email at times. and we know the bandwidth issues ATT is having lately.

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. Nearly every AT&T Wireless phone has MMS and has a plan that accounts for MMS. Why wouldn't AT&T want MMS on the iPhone? This makes ZERO sense. Honestly, look at the evidence here. The REAL hold-up is APPLE not AT&T.

I hate AT&T just like the next guy, but seriously place blame where blame is deserved.

w00master
  • Reply 4 of 110
    OMG, please come to the US already. Its only something we've been BEGGING for since june '07. ATT please forgo your usual bastard ways and DO NOT charge extra for MMS. It should have been there included from the begining!!
  • Reply 5 of 110
    Why can't the US have MMS? Is it Apple's or AT&T's fault?

What the heck is the big deal with MMS, why won't they let us use it?

This is getting annoying. Every other AT&T phone has MMS.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    I am sort of in awe out of what a big deal is being made over this.

Especially since AT$T would likely RAPE you for this "benefit" (see their 20 cent per a-la-carte SMS fee), this seems to be not a big deal.

I have never understood the fascination with "texting" on a phone. A phone call is MUCH MORE EFFICIENT, unless the message is "bring milk home".

And I am not THAT OLD-I just believe the whole market was created by cellular companies to pad their already huge rates of return.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GT500Shlby View Post

Why can't the US have MMS? Is it Apple's or AT&T's fault?

What the heck is the big deal with MMS, why won't they let us use it?

This is getting annoying. Every other AT&T phone has MMS.

It's Apple. MMS is a revenue stream for AT&T, and nearly EVERY phone on AT&T's lineup has MMS.

w00master
  • Reply 8 of 110
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. Nearly every AT&T Wireless phone has MMS and has a plan that accounts for MMS. Why wouldn't AT&T want MMS on the iPhone? This makes ZERO sense. Honestly, look at the evidence here. The REAL hold-up is APPLE not AT&T.

I hate AT&T just like the next guy, but seriously place blame where blame is deserved.

w00master

So why would they give the go ahead for Sweden but not for the US, or Apple has a grudge against US iphone users?
  • Reply 9 of 110
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

It's Apple. MMS is a revenue stream for AT&T, and nearly EVERY phone on AT&T's lineup has MMS.

w00master

Is that a joke or something, so why is it being allowed in Sweden, isn't SMS also a "revenue stream" but yet it's allowed?
  • Reply 10 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

So why would they give the go ahead for Sweden but not for the US, or Apple has a grudge against US iphone users?

I have no idea, but honestly placing blame on AT&T is the last reason on this. It's more money for AT&T so why wouldn't they want this? Therefore, it HAS to be Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Is that a joke or something, so why is it being allowed in Sweden, isn't SMS also a "revenue stream" but yet it's allowed?

This isn't a joke, it's the truth. Go ahead, check out AT&T's phone lineup. Nearly ALL of them have MMS.
  • Reply 12 of 110
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

I have never understood the fascination with "texting" on a phone. A phone call is MUCH MORE EFFICIENT, unless the message is "bring milk home".

I agree. However, texting long distance is much cheaper than calling (at least, here in Canada).

People will argue that you can just email instead of text, but until most people have push email on their phone, texting will still be a more immediate way to get ahold of someone (aside from calling of course).

As for MMS -- while it would be nice to be able to instantly send pictures instead of having to use email, unless the price is right, I'm not interested. The convenience isn't worth that much to me.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It depends, SMS can be much more efficient than a phone call, the way an email is more efficient that calling someone to relay info. Some examples would be to send visual copy of an address instead of having to remember it if you are on a phone call or find a writing tool. Another would be while in a room where making a call is possible so typing in a simple text message is prudent. I could give you examples where a quick message back and forth to relay info is faster than the how long it takes for a phone to ring. Even on my iPhone I can type out a text message or email while doing other tasks. A phone call requires more focus.

Quote:

I have no idea, but honestly placing blame on AT&T is the last reason on this. It's more money for AT&T so why wouldn't they want this? Therefore, it HAS to be Apple.

There is certainly logic in your post.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    I bet this is not "real" MMS, just an MMS-over-Ethernet transport. As a carrier they can do that. Just intercept the MMS to the number, and send it over a push service. They wouldn't even need permission by Apple for that. And it would be worthless for anybody who's not a customer of theirs.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    I don't understand the obsession with MMS, especially when the iphone is designed for internet and email. The point of the iphone is that you don't have to rely on sms/mms that archaic cell phones require. MMS is just a hack-job. Between email, social apps, and blogging apps, MMS is just obsolete.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity View Post

I don't understand the obsession with MMS, especially when the iphone is designed for internet and email. The point of the iphone is that you don't have to rely on sms/mms that archaic cell phones require. MMS is just a hack-job. Between email, social apps, and blogging apps, MMS is just obsolete.

The problem is that MOST phones do not have email. Also, I'm tired of telling some of my friends and family who happen to have a phone with email to remember not to MMS me, but email me instead.

How many times do they remember this?

ZERO.

w00master
  • Reply 17 of 110
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:

Because texting is quick, easy, efficient, cheap, works like push email even if your phone doesn't have email at all, and unlike a phone call doesn't require real-time engagement by the recipient. I can text someone rather than calling even when they're in a business meeting. Furthermore it's often possible to send a text successfully even when voice bandwidth is overwhelmed.

Quote:

And I am not THAT OLD-I just believe the whole market was created by cellular companies to pad their already huge rates of return.

Well of course texting was created by cellular companies to pad their rates of return. They're businesses, and that's what businesses are supposed to do. If you're working in a business that's trying to minimize its rate of return, then I hope you have some other long-term plan for putting food on the table.

Oh and by the way: I am that old.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity View Post

Maybe to interact with the 99% of phone owners that don't have an iPhone?
  • Reply 19 of 110
    Based on this feature alone, it's hard to imagine how the iPhone has managed to gain any traction at all in Japan, where people have been using MMS almost exclusively for at least 5 years now. Nobody uses SMS in Japan. Even if you're only sending text, SMS has a 160 character limit (which you would probably have to divide in half since Japanese characters are double-byte), whereas MMS lets you send pages and pages of text (if there is a limit, I've never reached it).

Honestly, why does SMS even exist? The implementation is so terrible in every possible way.
  • Reply 20 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Because texting is quick, easy, efficient, cheap, works like push email even if your phone doesn't have email at all, and unlike a phone call doesn't require real-time engagement by the recipient. I can text someone rather than calling even when they're in a business meeting. Furthermore it's often possible to send a text successfully even when voice bandwidth is overwhelmed.

Not so sure I agree that it is cheap-it is cheap for AT$T, costs them much less bandwidth than a phone call-so why do they charge 20 cents a-la-carte for it?

Several years ago-I was a T-Mobile customer. I had the T-Zones data plan (for $5 month), for unlimited data and unlimited text messages.

That same plan at T-Mobile now costs $6 month with NO text messages.

AT$T charges me $30 for unlimited data (granted I use more on the 3G than I did on my RAZR with Opera Mini installed) , and $20 more if I want unlimited text. This is a joke, it is a rip-off, and it should be investigated for price collusion, as ALL US carriers are doing it.