My 10.2 impressions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I finally made the leap to Mac OS X 10.2 today on my PowerBook G3/500. For reference, my machine has 256 MB RAM.

So far, I've noticed a very noticable speed improvement from Mac OS X 10.1. The new mail app seems to work nicely and iChat seems good but I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it.

Finder windows seem to be much more responsive and having spring loaded folders back is excellent, even if they do have an annoying tendancy to not put themselves in the center of the screen, but near the spot where you start them (like the HD on the upper right of the screen).

I also like the new repsonsiveness of items in the dock, especially my hard drive. I can see everything in my applications folder for the first time ever (it used to limit the amount of displayed items).

I'm sure there is more I will pick up on but this is a definite step in the right direction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Cool beans. Glad Jaguar is working well for you on that hardware. I have a G4/500 (with AGP and a 32MB Radeon card) so it gives me hope that I can squeeze another year of life out of this baby.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Cool beans. Glad Jaguar is working well for you on that hardware. I have a G4/500 (with AGP and a 32MB Radeon card) so it gives me hope that I can squeeze another year of life out of this baby.<hr></blockquote>

The way I see it, as long as I can keep installing OS updates, I'm sticking with my machine for another year or two. The Pismo is no shabby machine by any means, but there is a day that is approaching where I'll have to invest in a new machine.

But if Apple keeps making the OS faster, I see no reason to make the leap now.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    They'll start putting the debug code back in RSN...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    My reaction on Jaguar on my 400/640/Pismo:

Smoooooth :eek:

This cat gave life to a dying computer.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Glad to hear it, I'm quite pleased with the speed of 10.1.5 on my TiBook 667 (VGA out); but it could always be more "snappy".

Sounds like Jaguar will address this to some extent.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Fran,

What do you think of Ink? Have you tried it? I am slightly disappointed. I really believe that the Newton 21K is way better. You really have to separate all of your letters for it to work. The Newton version didn't require this. Also a lot of commands are missing. Can't figure out how to return to a new line, etc.

I am hoping Apple just rushed to get this in Jaguar and big improvements are on the way.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Heck, I'm sitting here with X.2 running on a 266mhtz G3 iMac.... I may get another year or two of life out of this baby now !!!

In any case ... hard to tell , but i think there IS a speed improvement from X.1, regardless, I'd never move backward... every revision has more cool stuff to play with ...

and .mac is worth the $50 .... free was nice, but I actually use it so much more now that I have 100GB.... iBackup and all.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    100 gigabytes? Damn, I'll have to sign up right away!