Moved: Perhaps Apple should allow clones (again)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If Apple were to licence OS X there would be cheaper Mac clones which would increase OS X usage, give Microsoft more competition and produce more software for the Mac platform due to the increased usage.

Perhaps it would even speed up development of faster processors.

Of course the clones would not have the asthetics of Apples own products.

Anyone agree?

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    no don't agree at all. why would it increase OS X usage? why would people switch to a mac clone? it would just eat Apple sales like it did 6 years ago
  • Reply 2 of 5
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    The problem with this is that the total Mac marketshare doesn't increase (much), but Apple's sales decrease and thus they make less money, leading to lesser profits or losses.

The only way I can forsee this working is if Apple had about 15% marketshare.

And only then really if the hardware was decent.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No

clones= leaches

They wouldn't be cheaper because Apple wouldn't be foolish and "give" away the OS like they did with the first round of clones(I hear they only charged like $50 for the OS..yet they had to do ALL the R&D).

Cloning only helps if your market is already large. And the clones were less reliable. Cloning is a lose/lose proposition.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 5 of 5
    TigerWoods99 said no more than two weeks ago, "<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=002372"; target="_blank">Screw Apple for killing the clones</a>". It was quickly shot down with the reasons why Apple ended the clones.

This thread belongs where the other is: in General Discussion, not Mac OS X. I'm tempted to just close it, but I'll get the Gen D. mods decide on that.