Where are you?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AppleInsider members seem to be worldwide; however, very few members show what country they're in. That's a huge disappointment. PLEASE, tell us in this thread what country, state, city, area, etc. you live in. Also let us know what country you are from if you live in a different country. Macs are sold all over the world, and I would like to believe that we are worldwide brethren. I'd really like to know where and how you're using Macs. What business are you in and to what extent Macs play in that business. Any other info about yourself would be gratefully received. I'd also like to know how you learned English if that isn't your native language. I am fascinated that we can all come together and help each other. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Palo Alto, CA, USA
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Burlington, Ontario, Canada, originally from Madras (now known as Chennai), India.

My G4 Mini has now become my wife's main computer for email, browsing and banking.

My Core Duo MacBook is my main computer for the same, plus iPhoto and iTunes.

My old 800 MHz PC with 512 megs of RAM and 40 gigs hard drive and CD-writer runs PC-BSD now, was running many Linux distros earlier, will run many more Linux distros in the future, just a machine for me to play with.

At work I use two laptops, a Dell and a Thinkpad, both running Windows XP.

English is so widely spoken in India, all education right from Kindergarten is in English, all subjects were taught in English, we were not permitted to speak in any language other than English right from Kindergarten (unless we were in a language class in which case we only spoke in that language); plus the language of business in India is English, so in any office everyone speaks in English, all correspondence is in English, so I do not consider English as a second language for me.

By the way, I do not know how many people know this, but India is the largest English-speaking country in the world. Our constitution is written in English.

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Kennedy Town, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Zurich-Oerlikon, Switzerland. For those who now the area, right next to the Hallenstadion.

I use my Macs (iMac 24", Mac mini G4, newest MacBook) at home for video editing (part time film maker), recodring/watching TV and other stuff. Unfortunately, on my primary job I'm stuck with Windows, but it isn't that bad with Fusion on the MacBook.

I speak Swiss German and therefore am used to foreign languages (German is a kind of foreign language for us). I learned English during School and spent half a year in San Franscisco. It's been a long time, so my grammar gets worse every day.

That's about it
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Palo Alto, California

I was born in Dublin, Ireland moved to the U.S. to go to USC(GO TROJANS) I then moved to P.A. to get a my masters in engineering at Stanford. I have a Mac Pro w/30" ACD, MBP 17"& 15"(early 08'), MB(late 08'), MBA all for the sake of having the latest and greatest. I work as a software engineer for a company in Cupertino. I was taught multiple languages as a child including English.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Jupiter, FL USA (weekdays)

Fort Lauderdale, FL USA (weekends)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Slidell, La, USA is my home, but I go to school in Starkville, MS, USA