HELP! 2.16 ghz w/ 4gb RAM or 2.4 ghz w. 2gb RAM?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys, I'm about to get my first macbook but i need help deciding which to get.

For practically the same price, I'm looking at getting either

1) Brand New BLACK Macbook MB404LL/A

-2.4GHz

-L2 cache/3MB shared

-2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

-250GB Serial ATA

or

2) Brand New WHITE Macbook

-2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

-120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

-Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

-4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB

I'm not really familiar with how much a difference the specs will effect performance in terms of my options so if anybody can fill me in on that too. Also, I'm looking to do some video editing with the iMovie for youtube, but other than that I'll basically use it for browsing, chatting, homework, etc. Thanks for the advice yall. I want to get this new computer in my hands as fast as possible!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I would get the Black MB with 2 gbs of RAM.

That's probably enough for your intended use. That's what I have in my MBP. I really only see performance suffer when I use Windows in VMWare. Then I page out to the HDD frequently and this slow down.

You can always add RAM later and it's supposed to be pretty easy to do for users on that model of MB.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Definitely the Black MacBook. Sorry I don't have time to elaborate, but definitely the Black MacBook. RAM is dirt cheap, you can upgrade it within a year when you feel you need more "juice".

Have you considered the new Aluminium MacBook 2ghz? Is there a big price difference between this and that Black MacBook?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I would get the Black MB with 2 gbs of RAM.

That's probably enough for your intended use. That's what I have in my MBP. I really only see performance suffer when I use Windows in VMWare. Then I page out to the HDD frequently and this slow down.

You can always add RAM later and it's supposed to be pretty easy to do for users on that model of MB.

You could take a Black MacBook, add 4GB RAM, add a 7200rpm hard disk (get Apple to add the hard disk, less risk of vibration issues, RAM you could add yourself)... And the Black MacBook can handle VMWare quite well.

Heck, the Santa Rosa + Penryn MacBooks can go up to 6GB RAM, so...

Black MacBook Santa Rosa Penryn, 7200rpm 320GB hard disk, 6GB RAM, that's a sexy machine. If you don't really need a big screen or mid-to-high-level graphics.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    get the 2.4 GHZ....It will "stay new" longer time, because its 12% faster.

You can always add ram, and you probably dont need more than 2gb now anyway, since you are only using it for homework etc.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    If I was you I would get the new aluminium MacBook. SO much better.