Finally learned why (RAID 1) mirrors suck

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just a little recommendation to those out there. I had my setup for my mac pro with 4 1 TB drives in a 2TB 0+1 configuration. This weekend I did a restart and got a sibling error in disk util. Basically this is why mirrors suck, the system completely would not start up, or repair in any disk utility.

This is for all for those who like little stories. I had to rebuild the directory to recover what files I could with Disk Warrior there was about 1 TB worth. Which took appr. 36 hours, just for those who may be interested. In which I lost about 15% of what I was currently working with.

The main thing though is that a CCC 3.1.2 system setup is so much better now that I have it running. Concurrency is something that is expensive as far as backups go I think. For instance here is a possible setup one could have with 4 1 TB drives; 1 TB Raid 1 Mirror (with 1 TB) and a 2TB Time Machine RAID 0 drive. That would offer mirror concurrency and backup in case of emergency. RIght now though I wouldn't run Time Machine for anything. With that configuration though you only get 1 TB for having 4 TB, that's not fun. So I opted for 2 x 2 TB RAID 0s and use CCC 3.1.2 to do a block level clone on occasion. It's pretty nice, the block level clone somehow does 90 GBs in 4.5 minutes, that speed is 333.333 MBytes/s. Don't ask me how but it does.

This is the second sibling error I have had in the past 3 months, Macbook then Mac Pro.

I loved the idea of having a 2 TB 0+1 RAID but no way is that ever going to happen. The only way I could see the use in a RAID 0+1 would be something like having a company doing something similar to .MAC or MobileMe with around 16-256 or so 1 TB drives, all raided and swapping bad drives out here and there but even still you would have to do some kind of cloning in my honest opinion...

Laters...