Another iPhone advert banned from British television

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Another iPhone advert has been banned from British television by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). The advert depicts the iPhone 3G loading web pages in under a second, and map data in Google Maps loading in a fraction of a second. The ASA have upheld that the speed shown gives customers a false impression of how fast the device is able to load web pages and content and have ordered that the advert not be shown again in its current format.

Even though Apple included the text 'Network performance may vary by location', it is probably unrealistic to show the device loading websites in less than a second, even with excellent signal coverage. I think it's fair enough for this to be removed from air.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7749435.stm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Another iPhone advert has been banned from British television by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). The advert depicts the iPhone 3G loading web pages in under a second, and map data in Google Maps loading in a fraction of a second. The ASA have upheld that the speed shown gives customers a false impression of how fast the device is able to load web pages and content and have ordered that the advert not be shown again in its current format.

Even though Apple included the text 'Network performance may vary by location', it is probably unrealistic to show the device loading websites in less than a second, even with excellent signal coverage. I think it's fair enough for this to be removed from air.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7749435.stm

Wrong place to say anything negative against Apple. You are asking to be flamed.

However, I do think the ASA was a bit quick. The easier thing to do would have been to call in Aple, have them fix the commercial and that would have been that. But Apple might have resisted and thus the ad ban.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    They are way too hard on Apple considering the amount of rubbish that other advertisers expect us to believe. Cillit-Bang - bang and the dirt is gone. Misleading because it's not gone in the time it takes to make that noise. Herbal Essences doesn't make you feel like how they portray. The cereal ads - a bowl of cereal does not turn dozey kids into lively learning machines. Shampoo ads where they show a preened celebrity as if the off-the-shelf product can make you look that way.

IMO, there is a distinct anti-Apple marketing agenda going on the UK. It wouldn't surprise me if the BBC or some media company were involved. I would actually agree to an extent about the speed of the device advertised but if they allow a whole load of misleading claims elsewhere then they are not judging fairly.