Black Friday: Wal-Mart Employee dies

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
A Wal-Mart employee was trampled to death by a mob of shoppers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/bu...c7c&ei=5087%0A

Two die at Toys-R-Us after their partners started a fight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081129/...blBURYhEqs0NUE

What is the meaning of Christmas?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    OMFG this sounds like it came right out of a South Park show.

Except it is true.

If you ask me, the meaning of "Christmas" was already "tampered" with when the Christians adopted the pagan Winter Solstice.

Now though Capitalism has almost taken over Christmas.

I don't know what else to say...

Has this incident happened in previous years? I mean, the USA is one big place with 300+ million people and growing.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    these early shopping hours have been around for years, the busineses know most people have a "Christmas budget" and want to monopolize these Christmas dollars this is marketing to excess. people need to held accountable including the business, just like bars are held accountable for giving drunks more booze. this is a perversion of Christmas "good will toward men" churches, civic groups local organizations should be discussing this excess, and for those early shoppers give them tickets for those items they will fight over. also no children should be allowed at that time to witness this mess, locally last year at a walmart a child broke their arm in the stampede.

i don't like govt intrusion and regulation, because their are already probably laws on the books against inciting riots, blah blah, but i don't won't or let my family participate in this perversion. we should be holding families accountable for this, a known potentially harmful and dangerous environment....we don't let people run red lights either i'm sure stores will be addressing their security and camera placement, and putting limits on this.

life is priceless.....no it's not, because that man was killed to save perhaps less than $100 dollars.

our society expects violence, its a game us adults pander to, remember cabbage patch dolls, beanie baby mayhem years ago. we are animals, when we allow ourselves to be.

Christmas should include compassion and even Jesus whiped the money changers out of the temple, we have made Christmas a celebration of excess.

for me and my family we won't
  • Reply 3 of 13
    If you've watched that movie "Idiocracy", it just feels so relevant now. Albeit in a dark way.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Nobody thought of helping the Walmart employee back to their feet?? Another example of our country's moral collapse...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Nobody thought of helping the Walmart employee back to their feet?? Another example of our country's moral collapse...

It was probably like a wave of people, the only time you noticed him was when you were on top of him, and then the crowd behind you pushed you past the point where you could help him.

On the up side, this means maybe the economy isn't as bad as people were saying - people are still shopping.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

great point....moral COLLAPSE
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

It was probably like a wave of people, the only time you noticed him was when you were on top of him, and then the crowd behind you pushed you past the point where you could help him.

I saw the video taken of them trying to revive him, he was probably over 6 feet tall and 275-300 pounds. You'd notice him. But I have been to a few concerts where anything's possible. I recall the mosh pit days when who ever knocked you on the floor, they came over and helped you up.

Quote:

On the up side, this means maybe the economy isn't as bad as people were saying - people are still shopping.

"Alright Jerome, open the doors!"
  • Reply 8 of 13
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

A Wal-Mart employee was trampled to death by a mob of shoppers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/bu...c7c&ei=5087%0A

Two die at Toys-R-Us after their partners started a fight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081129/...blBURYhEqs0NUE

What is the meaning of Christmas?

Thoughts?

Sorry, I know it is a tragedy, but I can't help but laugh at the stupidity of it all. One time I decided to do the black friday thing, but that is when I was a poor-ass student. Never again. The discounts aren't even that good to begin with and anything worth buying isn't on discount.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    absolutely nuts. i've never wanted something so bad that will make me want kill someone.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sared View Post

absolutely nuts. i've never wanted something so bad that will make me want kill someone.

I have, but she wasn't a fucking TV.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I have, but she wasn't a fucking TV.

HAH!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    I usually go black friday shopping every year. I think its fun. Of course, I don't live in Queens or wherever this happened. This year I walked into stapes at 6 am and walked out at 6:10am with a 250GB portable hard drive for $60.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I have, but she wasn't fucking a TV.

fixed!