[HELP!!!!] Macbook Upgrading Hard Drive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there,

i have a early 2006 macbook. I want to upgrade the hard drive on my laptop because 60GB of space is no longer suitable for me anymore.

I am looking at this model of the hard drive; Seagate Momentus G-FORCE 320GB 2.5IN SATA 7200RPM 16MB Notebook Hard Drive OEM 5YR MFR Warranty Model number: ST9320421ASG

What i wanted to know was if this hard drive is compatible with my late 2006 macbook. Thank you very much for your time.

P.S. i heard something about the older macbooks taking only SATA 150 due to their chipset. thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    also i wanted to know if its worth it spending for the G-force version. I've never dropped my laptop and it usually just sits on my table. I just need the extra RPMs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    If the non-G version of the drive is cheaper then you can go for that. The G is not really useful as your other parts of the MacBook would likely to get damaged than the disk itself!. Besides, backup with TM and your data is alway one-day behind at the least, do your precious data would be intact.

Good luck the 7K drives are fast but you might get some vibrations. Me: I went for the Momentus 5400.6 which is 500GB!. Its faster than the Hitachi 200G 7K drive even though my drive is just 5400 rpm. The Seagate 320 7K drive is about 15%-20% faster, but I needed the space.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It should work, mine is the first revision MacBook White Superdrive and I put a WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm 320GB in it.

Makes a big difference speedwise, IMO, since 2GB RAM is the max you can push this MacBook.

I can sensibly run my MacBook, external 17" display, Parallels Windows Vista. Adobe CS4, Safari, Firefox, iTunes at once. OK with Parallels it's pushing it...

I am facing vibration issues though.

I would suggest go for Seagate instead of WesternD, and the Seagate one, see if you can look at the specs for the most silent/etc. model. G-force or not.

As long as the Seagate is 2.5" SATA, the 320GB 7200rpm should work with your MacBook.

Good luck...!

If you do end up feeling some vibration, well, the speed may be worth a little "humming" feel. I would strongly recommend try the Seagate over the Western D, as mentioned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marloon View Post

also i wanted to know if its worth it spending for the G-force version. I've never dropped my laptop and it usually just sits on my table. I just need the extra RPMs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marloon View Post

Hi there,

i have a early 2006 macbook. I want to upgrade the hard drive on my laptop because 60GB of space is no longer suitable for me anymore.

I am looking at this model of the hard drive; Seagate Momentus G-FORCE 320GB 2.5IN SATA 7200RPM 16MB Notebook Hard Drive OEM 5YR MFR Warranty Model number: ST9320421ASG

What i wanted to know was if this hard drive is compatible with my late 2006 macbook. Thank you very much for your time.

P.S. i heard something about the older macbooks taking only SATA 150 due to their chipset. thanks!

• Reply 4 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Which is better: A ready built external HDD or an internal HDD using an enclosure?

Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Which is better: A ready built external HDD or an internal HDD using an enclosure?

Thanks

All external HDD you buy are internal drives with enclosures. They're not doing anything magical with external drives. It would make almost no difference. I say almost because you might get a better warranty on purchasing an external drive because it's all through one company.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

All external HDD you buy are internal drives with enclosures. They're not doing anything magical with external drives. It would make almost no difference. I say almost because you might get a better warranty on purchasing an external drive because it's all through one company.

Agreed. If you are getting an external HDD look for a Lacie or other quality brand with 2-year warranty. If you build your enclosure yourself usually the parts are only covered by a 1 year warranty.