High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's LED Cinema Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's first LED-backlit and DisplayPort-based desktop monitor has arrived at AppleInsider; we now have high-quality photos as well as some early impressions.

The new 24-inch screen will seem instantly familiar to anyone who's used a 24-inch aluminum iMac -- and it should, since it's eerily similar. Especially in person, it feels much like the all-in-one computer without the obvious chin that holds some of the computer component. That extends to the underside speakers, the webcam and the placement of the rear USB ports.

Having said this, the new display clearly shows Apple having learned a number of things since it released both the iMac and the very first aluminum Cinema Displays. The most conspicuous is the tapered aluminum back, which is actually part of a one-piece shell that covers all but the very front. It's thinner and more visually interesting than the old displays, and it won't collect dust like the iMac's black plastic might.

Also: there's no power brick. Or buttons, for that matter. The new model uses both the LED backlight and DisplayPort connector to its advantage to rid the screen of the external block and of the need to turn the display on or off. Leaving with your MacBook? Unplug the display and it powers down gracefully.

Image quality will need further testing but is definitely better than many low-cost displays with vivid colors and good viewing angles. It's not, however, the exact same display from the iMac: the new model definitely has a different white point.

About the only caution we have at this stage is that the lack of a chin makes the display harder to tilt without smudging the glass; users and friends who aren't especially careful will likely find fingerprints on the display's bottom lip before too long.

Expect a review within the next few days. Those eager for additional thoughts can also read Ars Technica's own impressions as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    It's a great looking unit. Unfortunately when I got mine today it came with a red line of pixels about 4" off the right margin. I called Apple and have to send it back to get a new one.

Has anyone else got an imperfect one they have to send back??
  • Reply 2 of 101
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    They look real nice, but unfortunately I will never purchase one... no firewire and the glossy screen absolutely kills it for most people doing graphics work.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

They look real nice, but unfortunately I will never purchase one... no firewire and the glossy screen absolutely kills it for most people doing graphics work.

Ditto. This will never be a monitor I could buy. For one, it's entirely marketed to MacBook/MacBook Pro users.

Glossy...built-in speakers...built-in iSight...no Firewire.

It would be interesting if Apple announced/released a Mac Pro, Mac mini version that had Front Row IR receiver, Firewire.

The current notebook-only monitor is a gimmick. It will be short-lived by its ultra-nicheness. Not many people buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro thinking that they'll be using it as a desktop computer.
  • Reply 4 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

The current notebook-only monitor is a gimmick. It will be short-lived by its ultra-nicheness. Not many people buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro thinking that they'll be using it as a desktop computer.

I'm not in the market nor am I disputing your statement. For me however, as a current iMac owner, the move to a MacBook/Pro would only come if I also had a satisfactory "home base" for it, including a larger monitor than on the machine. If I could afford to do all that, this new monitor seems a reasonable option (as I'm sure are countless 3rd party monitors that are available).
  • Reply 5 of 101
    Well to be honest I have a white MacBook and I don't understand why you would want an extra monitor for it, really. Ok if you lap's screen is dead THEN ok. I understand that you can use one screen for programs and the other for something else but still if your lap's screen works why bother. I just hope they will come out with NORMAL connections to be used on Mac Pro!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 101
    Does anyone know where that desktop image comes from? The one that comes with Leopard is quite similar, but not the same.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    One thing I don't get is why put an isight on the display if it's designed for Macbook users who already have an isight? You can't even stream in 3D as the lenses would have to be closer.

Glossiness aside, I really like how the 24-inch model looks. I've always disliked the iMac appearance on every model after the dome G4 one. If they made one like that display but instead of the Apple logo, wrote iMac at the bottom, that would be a big improvement.

There should be enough room behind that display to fit all the parts. They should design it so that you can take off the back though to get at the drives. Either that or just make it so that the base flips back out the way and a panel at the bottom opens to let you install Ram and the drive would slide out on a tray like from the Macbooks or the Mac Pro as it's a 3.5" drive.

Maybe 2 x 2.5" drives would be better. This way you could put in a new drive more easily and do a RAID setup or simply use one as a time machine backup without having an external plugged in or having a slow NAS drive.

SSD is all 2.5" and 2009 will be the year for it coming in so they may as well accommodate it.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What if you close the MacBook lid and use the monitor like a desktop?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

One thing I don't get is why put an isight on the display if it's designed for Macbook users who already have an isight?

• Reply 9 of 101
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Ditto. This will never be a monitor I could buy. For one, it's entirely marketed to MacBook/MacBook Pro users.

So having built-in speakers (which I don't believe the original Cinema Displays had) and a built-in iSight camera (which the original ADCs definitely lacked) are negatives?

Quote:

It would be interesting if Apple announced/released a Mac Pro, Mac mini version that had Front Row IR receiver, Firewire.

Firewire what? FW400 is dead (at least to Apple) and FW800 was never available on ADCs.

What would be the point of an IR receiver-equipped version? The only Mac lacking built-in IR is the Mac Pro.

Quote:

What do you mean by "notebook-only" monitor? Apple has already stated Mini DisplayPort will come standard on all new Macs going forward. Also, while people may not buy a Mac notebook with the assumption they'll use it as a desktop replacement, considering how good Apple's notebooks are in terms of performance, many may find little point in buying a second, desktop computer when they can just hookup their notebook to an external display.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Considering that notebooks are outselling desktops, that gap will only continue to grow. A monitor that allows a notebook to be used like a desktop isn't such a bad idea. To think that it is a bad idea is only a lack of imagination.

Their is advantage in using a larger monitor, a full size keyboard, and a mouse. This allows you the best of both without having to buy a notebook and a desktop.

Quote:

• Reply 11 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infobhan View Post

Does anyone know where that desktop image comes from? The one that comes with Leopard is quite similar, but not the same.

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...fter_rain.html

You will find the wallpaper on this page
  • Reply 12 of 101
    Quote:

Not many people buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro thinking that they'll be using it as a desktop computer.

Most people can't afford to buy a notebook *and* a desktop.... like myself. I use my laptop as my primary machine as I'm sure many other people do as well considering apple's success with their notebook line.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    I ordered mine through Amazon and it hasn't shipped yet =(
  • Reply 14 of 101
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Considering that notebooks are outselling desktops, that gap will only continue to grow. A monitor that allows a notebook to be used like a desktop isn't such a bad idea. To think that it is a bad idea is only a lack of imagination.

Their is advantage in using a larger monitor, a full size keyboard, and a mouse. This allows you the best of both without having to buy a notebook and a desktop.

Well said. The only thing kind of incorrect is that Apple's laptops already have full-size keyboards. But perhaps you were referencing Apple's full...full-size, wired aluminum keyboards w/ full number keypads.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Not true on so many levels. I replaced my Mac Pro with the newest Macbook Pro, allows me to take all that need everywhere. And when on the desk, I use an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. A great solution.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    What is the background on the computers? I like it a lot
  • Reply 17 of 101
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sisko View Post

Well to be honest I have a white MacBook and I don't understand why you would want an extra monitor for it, really. Ok if you lap's screen is dead THEN ok. I understand that you can use one screen for programs and the other for something else but still if your lap's screen works why bother. I just hope they will come out with NORMAL connections to be used on Mac Pro!!!!

Well, for work I have a docking station for my Dell Latitude and have two monitors (one 24" and the other 19"). With all the applications I use for development I need to screen space.

For the Mac I would imagine those using it for work would appreciate the same deal. I'm sure this isn't ideal for the MacBook folks like myself that primarily use it for the home. It would be interesting if you could close the MacBook lid and use it as the primary display without the MacBook going into sleep mode. It would be a dock-of-sorts then. Having a tiny screen and then a big 24" screen is just too much of a contrast for me.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    Wow, damn it looks sweet. I love the extra ports in the monitor. So anyone have a DVI - Mini Display Port conversion?
  • Reply 19 of 101
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think the problem with recent Apple product releases (the MacBook Air was the first), is that everyone expects each product to be all things to all men. But as someone has correctly pointed out before, these products are niche.

I'm bang-smack-in-the-middle of the LED Cinema Displays target market. I am a self-employed freelance graphic designer, and I work mainly from two locations. I currently have a Mac Pro and matching 23" Cinema HD Display at each location. Whilst I love the performance of the Mac Pros, keeping track of multiple instances of files and versions is an absolute nightmare and involves more work than the paying work itself.

I worked briefly with a MacBook Pro in the past, taking it from location to location and hooking it up to each of the Cinema Display heads. But the MBP didn't offer the level of processing power that I required and between the various power cables, bricks and interface cables my work area was always a spaghetti junction.

Between the new MacBook Pro, and the new LED Cinema Display, I think Apple have come up with the (almost) perfect work model for users like me. With these two products I can have all my shit with me wherever I go, and when I need a larger display area, I can simply hook it up to the LED Cinema Display, quickly and easily, and hey presto not only do I have the perfect work environment but my notebook is being charged as well. For me, a single MacBook Pro is simply replacing two Mac Pros, with the added benefit of singularity.

My only reservation, and the issue that has proven to be a deal breaker so far, is Apple's decision to go with glassy displays...
  • Reply 20 of 101
    I am one of those mac users that sold an iMac 3.06GHz just to replace it with a MBP 2.4/4 GB RAM and this 24" LED display. I have been looking for a desktop system that can, when needed go mobile with little hassle.

No, I am not a developer/photographer or anything like that. I am a healthcare IT consultant/Nurse. I use the space on the LED display to be able compare documents side by side and to create presentations along side any notes. A notebook screen is just not large enough.

I have had zero problems with the MBP or the Display.

I do not really even notice the difference between the iMac and the MBP...other than slower access time as a result of the slower HDD on the MBP.