2 iPhones, One Mac, Different User Accounts, Same iTunes... Possible?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
My girlfriend is finally getting an iPhone.

We only have one mac at home, my MBP. We only ever use the one user account, my one. But now that she will be using her own iPhone I assume we will have to create her own user account so that she can set up her own Mail account and Address Book. But will both accounts (mine and hers) be able to use the same iTunes library as we have all our music combined?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    1. Move your music to \\users\\shared. Then tell iTunes (iTunes>Preferences>advanced) to use that directory for music. Only one account can use this directory so Fast User Switching doesn't exactly work well (I think this last statement is true but not positive).

2. You could copy all your music to her account but then you have a duplicate of your library wasting space.

3. Just use the built-in sharing through iTunes. But you'd have to be logged in at all times for her to use the shared library. Not really a big deal. This is the method that I use with my 2 roommates

4. Just use the one account (the one you already use) and rename it something cute (like Brangalina, Bennifer, you get the idea) that she will really love so that you can show her how much you care. Really open up to her and have all the same contacts so she knows that you're willing to "let her in". There will also be less chance for "secrets" and you'll be able to tell if/when she's getting too close with her "friend".
  • Reply 2 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

My girlfriend is finally getting an iPhone.

We only have one mac at home, my MBP. We only ever use the one user account, my one. But now that she will be using her own iPhone I assume we will have to create her own user account so that she can set up her own Mail account and Address Book. But will both accounts (mine and hers) be able to use the same iTunes library as we have all our music combined?

Thanks.

You should be able to do it through your computer and iTunes.

But in order to do it best, set up an playlist with her music in it and a 'group' in the contacts app with her contacts. You could even set up a calender with her appointments and events. Then sync her stuff to her phone and your stuff to your phone.

If you and your gf break up then it could be a mess so you might want to consider that. But technically its easy to do.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You should be able to do it through your computer and iTunes.

But in order to do it best, set up an playlist with her music in it and a 'group' in the contacts app with her contacts. You could even set up a calender with her appointments and events. Then sync her stuff to her phone and your stuff to your phone.

If you and your gf break up then it could be a mess so you might want to consider that. But technically its easy to do.

Damn, all the suggestions sound like a hassel haha.

Thanks for them all though.