Any Treadmill users out there?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Do you use a treadmill? If so how does your routine go? Speed ? Incline? variable program which changes?

Do you walk, walk fast, jog, or run or all of the above?

Do you use a heart rate monitor to stay in a zone of training etc. ?

Do you use your own personal treadmill or one at a gym etc.?

How often do you use a treadmill?

You get the picture..

Now REPLY!

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    I've never used a treadmill for more than a few minutes: I just don't like them. But I have done serious running, which is mainly the same thing.

If you're trying to burn fat, you're better off with weight training. If you're trying to improve your cardio, then running is a pretty good way to do that, but you need to mix speeds. Using the incline feature is only good if you don't hold on to the support bars. Anyway, the best way to boost your cardio on a treadmill is to pick a program that has a mix of sprint and slow jog. You may, however, want to start off with simpler programs until you gain confidence.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I hate treadmills.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I gave up smoking on August 20th, so thats what 15 weeks, and my attempts at cycling to work every day were thwarted by ridiculous amounts of rain in the summer... and I have to say it, for the first time in my life, im a slightly fat bastard and have gone on a diet!

I would never have thought it possible. I was always underweight my entire life, and could eat whatever! However something obviously changes when you get to 30!

so I got myself an exercise bike last weekend, and a small set of weights, and as I have a spare room, i might suppliment this with a rower or even a small multigymn.

But its so boring! Fortunately I can stream in some comedy from iPlayer, or Project Free.

It seems to me to be a waste to convert all my energy into heat though, I have been looking around the net, for a way to convert this into 12v, as I just picked up a 120w inverter for my car to power my laptop for when I go on my expedition. This looks quite cool! Definately one to pick up.

http://www.ecotopia.co.uk/product/9/...s-gazelle.html

What suprises me is just how much exercise you need to do to remove the weight, for instance, it takes me about 5 minutes of vigorous cycling just to remove the calorie intake from a single chocolate digestive biscuit!. No more of those im afraid!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I think I gained 15 pounds the day I turned 30.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Glad to see some of you trying to stay in shape no matter how!

In my case once our son was born the gym was not a place we continued to carve time out for. It is just not as practical to drive to the gym and carve out an entire 45 to an hour for a work out when you have a little one around. It is doable but just not the least bit convenient. We now have a treadmill, a rebounder and free weights. We can do what we can and or need in 10 min increments at a time if needed. No need to drive anywhere or have to find child care etc.

I had let myself get a bit too sedentary for my taste and that has all changed and boy I can report improvement already with the program I am doing.

Diet is also key.

I hope to continue to hear the ways you all work out and eat right etc. If you don't YOU NEED TO!

Fellows said.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nordkapp View Post

What suprises me is just how much exercise you need to do to remove the weight, for instance, it takes me about 5 minutes of vigorous cycling just to remove the calorie intake from a single chocolate digestive biscuit!. No more of those im afraid!

That's very true. I watched a Nova episode where they trained a bunch of amateurs for the Boston Marathon. They actually did well, increased their VO2 performance and general health but ... didn't lose a lot of weight. You don't burn that many calories working out compared to what you can eat in a day. I lost 40 pounds since last January and it was focusing on ... not eating so much. I tuned my diet around, didn't concern (guilt) myself with working out and reduced my food intake a lot.

Now I just have to keep it up for the next 60 years
  • Reply 7 of 37
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

That's very true. I watched a Nova episode where they trained a bunch of amateurs for the Boston Marathon. They actually did well, increased their VO2 performance and general health but ... didn't lose a lot of weight. You don't burn that many calories working out compared to what you can eat in a day. I lost 40 pounds since last January and it was focusing on ... not eating so much. I tuned my diet around, didn't concern (guilt) myself with working out and reduced my food intake a lot.

Now I just have to keep it up for the next 60 years

It all depends on the person. For me it's just the opposite. If I'm not getting at least 45 minutes a day of exercise, it is impossible for me to loose weight because I'd have to decrease my food intake to the point that I had a headache all the time. Both are critical for me when I've lost weight.

Similarly, if I am getting 45 minutes to an hour of fairly strenuous exercise a day, I can each just about anything I want and not gain anything.

Getting the exercise, normal breakfast and lunch, and a very light dinner that has me going to bed pretty hungry is my formulae for success.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I tuned my diet around, didn't concern (guilt) myself with working out and reduced my food intake a lot.

Do what you want but I would suggest that your metabolism can be affected by working out despite calories burned during some confined "workout". In the long term your resting metabolism can help to keep you fit if you workout as opposed to being sedentary.

Fellows
  • Reply 9 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I try to hit the Y about 3-4 times a week. I favor the elliptical trainer for my cardio, because it just feels better to have my arms involved and because I have inherited my mother's dicey knees and they don't like to be pounded.

Then I have a weight training regimen to go with that, alternating upper and lower body.

Except now my goddamn elbows are starting to bother me, so they should probably just shoot me now.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I try to hit the Y about 3-4 times a week. I favor the elliptical trainer for my cardio, because it just feels better to have my arms involved and because I have inherited my mother's dicey knees and they don't like to be pounded.

Then I have a weight training regimen to go with that, alternating upper and lower body.

I think we are the same person.

Very curious.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Do you use a treadmill? If so how does your routine go? Speed ? Incline? variable program which changes?

Do you walk, walk fast, jog, or run or all of the above?

Do you use a heart rate monitor to stay in a zone of training etc. ?

Do you use your own personal treadmill or one at a gym etc.?

How often do you use a treadmill?

You get the picture..

Now REPLY!

Fellows

I am definitely in a minority with my love of treadmills. Treadmills provide a totally controlled running experience - that's what I love. I typically will only use treadmills in a gym - i find the home models to be flimsy.

I'll typically warm up at a light jog, 6 or 7 mph with 0.5 incline and then after about 15 minutes of that I either up the incline to 4 or 5 or I speed up to 8 or 8.5 or even 9 mph. I do that for another 10 or 15 minutes depending on how I'm feeling. Then I cool down with a slow 5 or 5.5mph jog.

So it's basically an intense routine sandwiched by a light routine. It provides a hell of a workout in less than 45 minutes.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I hate treadmills.

They can be fun, to watch.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    I've tried a treadmill a few times but don't enjoy in the least. I run most days (in any CA weather) and I enjoy running on mountain trails the most, with the scenery of the real world going by, the air in my face, the changing sights and sounds.... The last time I was on a treadmill was when I was staying a couple of days in a hotel in MN in January, with the temperature outside being around 0ºF with a fierce wind and blowing snow... I wasn't going outside for anything! So I set the machine to a 10% gradient and slogged "uphill" for an hour or so. No hazards (such as searing hot air to dehydate you, or getting frostbite on the fingers, or tree-roots to trip over, or rattlesnakes, bears or mountains lions..... but I find the treadmill experience ... boring.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

I've tried a treadmill a few times but don't enjoy in the least. I run most days (in any CA weather) and I enjoy running on mountain trails the most, with the scenery of the real world going by, the air in my face, the changing sights and sounds.... The last time I was on a treadmill was when I was staying a couple of days in a hotel in MN in January, with the temperature outside being around 0ºF with a fierce wind and blowing snow... I wasn't going outside for anything! So I set the machine to a 10% gradient and slogged "uphill" for an hour or so. No hazards (such as searing hot air to dehydate you, or getting frostbite on the fingers, or tree-roots to trip over, or rattlesnakes, bears or mountains lions..... but I find the treadmill experience ... boring.

The "real world" you live in may differ than the "real world" I live in from day to day. What I mean by that is that for me to travel to a lake in my area which has more than 20 miles of trails through the woods would take me about 30-35 mins to drive to and 30-35 mins to drive back from and while I would be there on the trails I would like to be there at least an hour. I used to mountain bike on these trails several years back before having a son and before being married etc.

Another problem with the trails is that they are not lit when the sun sets. Around here it starts to get dark before 6:00pm this time of year. I don't have any desire to be out in the dark on the trails. I do a lot of working out after the sun sets. Thanks to my controlled interior environment.

Today for me to carve out more than 2 hours to do this during the week 3 to 4 to 5 times a week along with the trails not being muddy from rain etc. and for the sun to actually be out is just not a reliable scenario for me to count on.

Sure the treadmill offers no entertainment, no breathtaking views etc. I grant you that and certainly would not argue against this fact.

But,

For day in and day out it is right here in my home and there is no reason I can't step on it to keep my fitness level where I would like to keep it.

Fellows
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

I am definitely in a minority with my love of treadmills. Treadmills provide a totally controlled running experience - that's what I love. I typically will only use treadmills in a gym - i find the home models to be flimsy.

I'll typically warm up at a light jog, 6 or 7 mph with 0.5 incline and then after about 15 minutes of that I either up the incline to 4 or 5 or I speed up to 8 or 8.5 or even 9 mph. I do that for another 10 or 15 minutes depending on how I'm feeling. Then I cool down with a slow 5 or 5.5mph jog.

So it's basically an intense routine sandwiched by a light routine. It provides a hell of a workout in less than 45 minutes.

Cool!

I used to use them at the gym about 5 days a week but no longer am a member at a gym. I found that I spent the most time at the gym using a treadmill. I also did some weight lifting and ab work but overall it was the treadmill that was used more than 70% of the time on average.

I have a treadmill at home now and it is not flimsy like so many are as you note. I have a very heavy machine that will not even fit through most interior door openings. Welded steel frame with 20 by 58 inch running area. It is really close to many of the precor and life fitness treadmills in terms of build and user experience. Not cheap and flimsy like so many of the models you normally see for home use.

Glad to see I am not the only treadmill user.

Keep up the good work!

Fellows
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Tfor me to travel to a lake in my area which has more than 20 miles of trails through the woods would take me about 30-35 mins to drive to

You should move.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

You should move.

Trouble is, the cultural implications of having too much nature in your back yard. Not s ure if its worth it. And that's coming from someone living in the middle of the mountains.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

Trouble is, the cultural implications of having too much nature in your back yard. Not s ure if its worth it. And that's coming from someone living in the middle of the mountains.

I live on a mountain. I don't mind the occasional moose stuck in my window-well.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Today, I did a terrible thing.

I just bought a whole bag of freshly prepared salad mix and ate it!

What have I become???
  • Reply 20 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I live on a mountain. I don't mind the occasional moose stuck in my window-well.

Is that what they're calling the Mormons, these days?