Hundreds of iFund developer applications compromised

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Nearly 600 applications from developers vying for a slice of Kleiner Perkins?s $100 million iFund to help fuel their iPhone startup efforts have accidently spilled onto the web.

Developers looking for financial support to launch an iPhone company or employ a small team dedicated to authoring a cutting-edge iPhone application can apply through the financial firm's website.

As part of the application process, individuals are asked to list their contact information, bios, demonstrative material, financial earnings, competitors, and to provide a detailed explanation of their iPhone application concept along with any proprietary technology they've developed.

Much of this data, which is collected into a database, found its way into the public domain recently when an employee of Kleiner Perkins? former hosting provider, Meteora Technologies Group, accidently published it to the web.

In total, 588 applications were compromised, according to TechCrunch, which notes that although the data was leaked in the form of a MySQL database dump, it's still easily readable in any text editor or a browser.

A quick peek at the time stamps on the applications reveals many of the submissions were made on March 6th, the same day Apple unveiled its iPhone SDK and announced Kleiner Perkins's $100 million iFund. The firm revealed a couple of months later that 1,700 startups had submitted apps seeking funding.

Update: Google has removed the cache of the leaked SQL file.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    What the heck was that all about?

You didn't "want" to post the info yet you did post it.

Now you rewrite the article and somehow it's okay to post the info because you are not writing you don't want to?

Still in pretty poor taste to let everyone know where it is let alone leave a link to it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What the heck was that all about?

You didn't "want" to post the info yet you did post it.

Now you rewrite the article and somehow it's okay to post the info because you are not writing you don't want to?

Still in pretty poor taste to let everyone know where it is let alone leave a link to it.

Chris,

There's a difference between AppleInsider publishing information and AppleInsider linking to a Google website where the information has been published since September. If it would make you happier, I can simply note the TechCrunch is linking to the Google website and remove our link to Google but I'm not sure what that would solve.

Thanks,

Kasper
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Chris,

There's a difference between AppleInsider publishing information and AppleInsider linking to a Google website where the information has been published since September. If it would make you happier, I can simply note the TechCrunch is linking to the Google website and remove our link to Google but I'm not sure what that would solve.

Thanks,

Kasper

The data is NOT on google anymore... I was wanting to see the information to see if there was any that I wanted to fund!

So if anyone has it, email it to my 'other' email, tenor_2008 at operamail dot.com.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netling View Post

The data is NOT on google anymore... I was wanting to see the information to see if there was any that I wanted to fund!

So if anyone has it, email it to my 'other' email, tenor_2008 at operamail dot.com.

Yup. Was removed a few minutes ago.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    (sorry, I got sidetracked) but much better.

Not front page newsworthy anymore?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netling View Post

ROFL this guy is pathetic