Psystar emboldens "OpeniMac" copycat clone maker

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With unsanctioned clone maker Psystar still pushing its knock-off Macs in the face of ongoing litigation, another company is testing Apple's legal resolve and treading on its trademarks in the process through sales of a pair of new "OpeniMac" systems.

It's not immediately clear who's behind the latest effort spotted by Engadget, but the Argentinean-based dealer has dubbed its systems the "OpeniMac" despite their lack of an all-in-one design. It's also constructed a snazzy website to promote them.

For $990, the dealer is offering a 2.53GHz "OpeniMac" with 3 MB of shared L2 cache, 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM, a 320 GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm drive, an 8X SuperDrive, and an ATI Radeon HD PRO with 256 MB of video memory GDDR3. Another $340 will get you a 19-inch LG LCD display to go along with it.

A high-end offering, conveniently called the "OpeniMac Pro," is priced at $1710 and comes with a 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6 MB of shared L2 cache, 4 GB of DDR2 SDRAM, a 500 GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm drive, an 8X SuperDrive, a NVIDIA GeForce GS with 1 GB of GDDR3 video memory, and "a brilliant" 20-inch LG widescreen display.

The OpeniMac website even takes a swipe at the performance of Apple's systems, displaying a series of benchmark graphs comparing the company's official offerings to their unauthorized alternatives.

Last month, a California judge threw out Psystar's countersuit against Apple, leaving the Mac maker free of opposition in pursuing charges against the clone maker that include trademark and copyright infringement.

This week, Apple added a new charge and contested in court documents that it believes Psystar is part of a larger plot with some bigger names pulling the strings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    A: Let's infringe on another trademark!

B: Brilliant! That couldn't possibly go wrong?

A: We is smart ain't we?
  • Reply 2 of 86
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    This is fascinating actually ... and for some reason I'm intrigued by the possibility of a real-life evil organisation pulling the strings from the shadows...

Though I think I know who's behind it all: http://tinyurl.com/evilmastermind

Jimzip
  • Reply 3 of 86
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A: Let's infringe on another trademark!

B: Brilliant! That couldn't possibly add to the damages!

I think the AI article headline is misleading. It implies that Psystar is involved with this latest "openiMac", but as far as I can tell, it isn't. AI just means that the existence of Psystar has encouraged other people to follow in its footsteps.

On to the openiMac: those are fairly rubbish specs for the price. Dell's $949 desktop has a quad-core 2.66 GHz Core i7, 3 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 16x DVD burner and 256 MB ATI Radeon 3450 HD.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I don't know if these people think they are protected because they're in Argentina, but this is amazingly blatant. I wonder if Apple has registered the iMac trademark in Argentina, or if it really matters?

To Apple Insider - what does Psystar have to do with this? Saying "Psystar spawns OpeniMac..." in the headline is not true, unless you know something you're not telling us. What's the connection?
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think the AI article is misleading. It implies that Psystar is involved with this latest "openiMac", but as far as I can tell, it isn't. AI just means that the existence of Psystar has encouraged other people to follow in its footsteps

I was about to say the same thing. Speculation remains one of the weakest parts of the stories (I won't call them "reporting") posted on AI.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I was about to say the same thing. Speculation remains one of the weakest parts of the stories (I won't call them "reporting") posted on AI.

I don't think it's speculation on the part of AI, rather than a poor choice of words/phrasing.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    The timing is very interesting for all of this but perhaps this is part of what Apple is referring to in its expanded suit. I'm not sure what sort of person legitimately believes that Apple has no trademark or patent ownership from which to defend its designs Setting up businesses that blatantly taunt Apple into going after them is a pathologically stupid way to make a living. Since the beginning, none of this has made sense to me, especially now that the courts have all but given the green light to destroy these players.

Taking Apple's claims at face value, vague as they are, the fact that there seem to be a number of these operators out in the wild working off the same shaky legal footing lends some credence to their paranoia. The larger question is who would do this and what could they possibly hope to gain from it?

[ Update ] I, too, don't buy that this has any true relation to Psystar other than referentially. There may be a group advising/pushing/paying for this sort of Quixotic lunacy but Psystar it ain't.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

I don't agree with you guys, or I'd happily change the title. And we're back to this nonsense again, Spam? Claiming we don't do our homework? Claiming speculation when there is none?

There's nothing in the article that's speculative. I value you as a member of the community, but please man... All the title implies is that the existence of Psystar has "spawned" ( essentially given birth to) another Mac copycat dealer.

I guess we could use "emboldens" but I still don't agree that there's something wrong with our title.

K
  • Reply 9 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

There's nothing in the article that's speculative. I value you as a member of the community, but please man... All the title implies is that the existence of Psystar has "spawned" ( essentially given birth to) another Mac copycat dealer.

To spawn does invoke a sense that Psystar is directly responsible for OpeniMac's existence. Engenders, triggers, inspires, prompts, foments and give rise to are the words and phrase that come to my mind to mean that Psystar may have been a catalyst for, but clearly isn't directly involved in the genesis of OpeniMac.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:

I don't agree with you guys, or I'd happily change the title. And we're back to this nonsense again, Spam? Claiming we don't do our homework? Claiming speculation when there is none?

I guess we could use "emboldens" but I still don't agree that there's something wrong with our title.

K

Perhaps the new company was inspired by the existence of Psystar, but in either case, it's speculation stated as fact. If it is so, name the source.

I'm encouraged by AI participation of readers in the storywriting process. It helps keep speculation in check and adds detail if it is missing.

If you want to call it reporting, follow the standards of reporting. If you want to call it opinion, label it as such.

Also, I've seen AppleInsider quoted on numerous web sites as an authority on all things Apple. I'd love for you to continue to grow this site and especially love it if more stringent requirements were enforced for story submission and editing for content.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Perhaps the new company was inspired by the existence of Psystar, but in either case, it's speculation unsupported by facts. I'm encouraged by AI participation of readers in the storywriting process. It helps keep speculation in check and adds detail if it is missing.

If you want to call it reporting, follow the standards of reporting. If you want to call it opinion, label it as such.

Well I've changed the title and I hope you guys find it more suitable.

Best,

K
  • Reply 12 of 86
    I would be ashamed to run OS X on something that looks like a piece if junk like these machines do.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Quote:

While that is a better choice, it's your site and your business, so feel free to ignore any dissenters, including me and this post.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Quote:

Best,

K

It's better, but it still implies a connection between the two companies. I don't know if this new company would have done this regardless of the actions of Psystar. Still reads as speculation on the part of AI.

Take care, K.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While that is a better choice, it's your site and your business, so feel free to ignore any dissenters, including me and this post.

Honest feedback is important, especially if you believe journalistic integrity is important. Do you view AI as a rumor mill or as a source for accurate stories that may be referred to by other sites, which could potentially result in millions of dollars of devaluation to AAPL stock?

I prefer harsh criticism of inaccuracies in reporting. It's my ass on the line too as an investor. If something is reported that adversely affects the stock and it's true, that's one thing.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't know if these people think they are protected because they're in Argentina, but this is amazingly blatant. I wonder if Apple has registered the iMac trademark in Argentina, or if it really matters?

To Apple Insider - what does Psystar have to do with this? Saying "Psystar spawns OpeniMac..." in the headline is not true, unless you know something you're not telling us. What's the connection?

Embolden/spawn sounds OK to me. Psystar's actions have obviously helped fuel the rise of other equally stupid companies, whether direct or indirect.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

This is fascinating actually ... and for some reason I'm intrigued by the possibility of a real-life evil organisation pulling the strings from the shadows...

Though I think I know who's behind it all: http://tinyurl.com/evilmastermind

Jimzip

Hey, leave Bill Clinton out of this.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Why doesn't Apple just sanction use of OSX on non-Mac computers, and charge $999/copy for it.

THEN, these rip-off artists will be forced to pay Apple $999 for every computer they ship, and Apple will make a TON of money, avoid the lawsuits, and everybody is happy. Done.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:

Do you view AI as a rumor mill or as a source for accurate stories that may be referred to by other sites, which could potentially result in millions of dollars of devaluation to AAPL stock?

As both, but except for the financial articles pretty much all the stories can be found at any number of other sites. I come here mainly for the forum posters which seem to have less children and more well informed adults?such as yourself?than other, similar Apple-centric sites. MacRumors posters are as bad as Digg, IMO.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    I trust Apple will jump on these guys much quicker than they did with Pisstar. They've already laid the legal foundation in Florida and done most of the rudimentary paperwork, so this suit should (I hope) proceed post haste!