Netflix Watch Now

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone else trying out the Netflix Watch Now functionality that is finally available for all Mac users?

I really enjoy having it available but am having performance problems. Playback bogs down my 2.16 GHz white 24" iMac. It drops frames like crazy and apparently both cores are pegged at 100% while in full-screen. So far I haven't noticed a difference between Safari and FireFox. This is with a wired gigabit connection to 10mb/sec FiOS. Bandwidth definitely isn't the issue.

What are other people seeing? Is this a typical experience?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Anyone else trying out the Netflix Watch Now functionality that is finally available for all Mac users?

I really enjoy having it available but am having performance problems. Playback bogs down my 2.16 GHz white 24" iMac. It drops frames like crazy and apparently both cores are pegged at 100% while in full-screen. So far I haven't noticed a difference between Safari and FireFox. This is with a wired gigabit connection to 10mb/sec FiOS. Bandwidth definitely isn't the issue.

What are other people seeing? Is this a typical experience?

I get a lot of dropped frames in complex moving scenes, with an Intel MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz

In general, the compression looks worse to much worse than the feature films on Hulu, and the transport controls are much slower (moving around brings up a multi-second rebuffering screen). I do like the thumbs on the timeline, though.

I also started getting a lot of "your connection has degraded, we are adjusting you image quality something something" when I know my connection was fine. Almost to the point that I started to wonder if Netflix wasn't throttling (I burned through a lot of movies when the beta first became available for Mac).

I'm surprised that what I'm getting with Silverlight and Netflix looks so much worse than than Hulu flash stuff, and is so much slower to load and buffer. Mac implementation? Netflix implementation? Silverlight not so great?