iTunes Puzzler: How would YOU do this?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My setup: mini running 10.4.11 and the latest iTunes + 1 external hard drive "OLD"

Issue: I have all my music files on the OLD external hard drive, but it's now full.

Remedy: Add another external hard drive "NEW" for new music files going forward. BOTH OLD and NEW drives will be connected to the mini at the same time.

Problem: iTunes Library

I want:

1)going forward, to have iTunes automatically copy any *new* music I might add in the future to the NEW drive - and of course, not copy the OLD drive music to the NEW drive (it won't fit)

2)iTunes library to still recognize music on the OLD drive, so that this database is integrated into one library. So when I pull up iTunes, it finds music on both OLD and NEW drive, yet only copy *new* music files to the NEW drive automatically.

I guess the idea here is that iTunes will manage all new files on the NEW drive, and reference the old files on the OLD drive at the same time in one database.

How would you do that? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    On the "Advanced" tab of preferences, change the default location for media files to the new drive, choose "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library," but de-select "keep iTunes music folder orgranised." This ought to do what you want supposing that iTunes can currently locate all of your music on the old drive.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

On the "Advanced" tab of preferences, change the default location for media files to the new drive, choose "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library," but de-select "keep iTunes music folder orgranised." This ought to do what you want supposing that iTunes can currently locate all of your music on the old drive.

Thank you, Denton. I'm going to try this, as soon as the new drive comes in!