Apple for PC users? (for Dummies)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I once was a die hard PC user. I am certified several times over in Windows based softwares and PC based architecture. But the times, they are a-changin'. More of my clients are coming to me with Mac questions. Even my father is considering defecting to your side. I toyed with the idea myself, but after all I've invested in PC, I'm not keen to throw it away...

However, I would like to add to my repertoire. The problem is I can't just be a user. I am compelled to know the innerworkings of the stuff I use. This would be hard enough if I had little or no frame of reference, I could just start from scratch. But I *do* have frame of reference... And so I ask, is there a book such as the above hypothetically suggested title?

I need information on a very basic level. Are motherboards swappable? Is RAM? Are harddrives? Do they use IDE? SATA? Can I replace a Super drive with a Newegg DVD burner special? What the heck is Truth? Where is the right click?

Of course, I don't expect answers to any of these questions here, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Yes... there is even a "Macs for Dummies" book (as well as "OS X for Dummies") from that popular brand of books.

Check out the bookshelf at your local Barnes and Noble and see what titles look good... then see if your local library has 'em

RAM, drives, etc are replaceable with off-the-shelf units... though in some models they are fairly difficult to access. Motherboards are generally "custom" made to fit Apple's enclosures and are therefore NOT available from other sources.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    you're not looking for the info but i'll give it to u anyway

mother boards are swappable but with the same models. all macs except for the mac pro (tower) has all the parts builting - cpu, vid card, sound card, everything. it's just one board.

memory is swappable on all units. very easily accessible for all models. ie, imacs - small panel on the bottom. macbooks - hidden compartment inside battery tray. apple even has step-by-step visual instructions in their website. ie - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1432

harddrive swappable - i don't see why not. i'm not sure how the older models are, but since the intel macs came out, they're all SATA. the macbook air has an optional SSD harddrive. all models only have space for one drive except for the mac pro (tower). i think they can have upto 4.

dvd burner - i'm not sure but i dont see why not.

right click - if you mouse doesn't have a right click (mighty mouse), hold the control key and click. if you do have the mighty mouse, changes the settings in preferences panel (mac's control panel)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    The book you seek is:

Switching to a Mac For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (Paperback)