External Hard drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need an external HD. preferably 1TB. I'm considering these:

1. LaCie Hard Disk 1 TB FireWire 400/USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive, Design by Neil Poulton 301315U **** I currently have the Porsche designed 500 GB drive works great, never had a problem with it

2. Iomega MiniMax Hard Drive, FireWire 400/USB 2.0, 1TB - 33957 **** I like the look of it, much cheaper than time capsule. nice that it's stackable, though doesn't have on/off switch

3. AcomData Minipal *** also like the look of it and is stackable though i hear it runs hot. no 1TB available

4. Seagate ST310005FDA2E1-RK FreeAgent Desk 1 TB USB 2.0 *** nice looking unit, not stackable

any experience with any of these drives? yes i want something that looks nice but is also reliable

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I've a 1TB and 500GB "My Book" external from WD. For me, they've been quiet, not hot, and trouble free.

The USB only ones are pretty cheap ($139 for 1TB). FW and eSATA is available for more $$.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I've a 1TB and 500GB "My Book" external from WD. For me, they've been quiet, not hot, and trouble free.

The USB only ones are pretty cheap ($139 for 1TB). FW and eSATA is available for more $$.

yeah i'm considering WD as well. thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have bought a WD MyBook Studio 1TB and am very well satisfied. The Firewire 800 is a good option for daisy chaining two of them later when space is not enough. It comes with all necessary cables for firewire 400, 800 and USB. It's not the cheapest, but I think it is well worth the difference to the USB only version. (partly because I have USB 1.1 only on my 12" Powerbook - yes, I still use it for work)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    I have a 1TB AcomData external drive. It's been fine since last spring.

Heres the one I have...

http://www.acomdata.com/hdp/fs.html
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burningwheel View Post

I need an external HD. preferably 1TB. I'm considering these:

1. LaCie Hard Disk 1 TB FireWire 400/USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive, Design by Neil Poulton 301315U **** I currently have the Porsche designed 500 GB drive works great, never had a problem with it

2. Iomega MiniMax Hard Drive, FireWire 400/USB 2.0, 1TB - 33957 **** I like the look of it, much cheaper than time capsule. nice that it's stackable, though doesn't have on/off switch

3. AcomData Minipal *** also like the look of it and is stackable though i hear it runs hot. no 1TB available

4. Seagate ST310005FDA2E1-RK FreeAgent Desk 1 TB USB 2.0 *** nice looking unit, not stackable

any experience with any of these drives? yes i want something that looks nice but is also reliable

You don't say which model Mac you are using, and that dictates some of the capabilities you need for an external HD, like the interface. I'd go with eSATA, if I had that capability, my next choice would be Firewire 800, followed by FW 400, and the last choice would be USB 2.

I use Icy Dock enclosures, and they are very nice! You can hot swap drives in seconds, they run cool, and dead silent. The particular models, by interface, are chosen by the menu on the lower left of this website. They have an on/off switch, and can be used horizontally or vertically.

http://www.icydock.com/product_pagein.html

I have a FW 400/USB 2 model, and a FW 800/USB 2, and they're both great. You just attach the drive to a tray, and it slides in and out of the enclosure at will. You can also buy extra trays so that you can hot swap as many drivers drives as you like.

They have enclosures that support 3.5" SATA drives, and enclosures that support 2.5" drives, plus enclosures that take multiple drives.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    i have a MacPro tower. 1st ed. with intel
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I would stick with Lacie.