why my mac mini is randomly beeping every 5-10 minutes.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Theres no alert of any kind on the screen. super drive when i put a cd it sounds noisey and grinding and clicking. to be honest with you i tap the mini on top of it and goes away but not the beeping. but it should't be like that. i think this is not related to beeping noise due to no disc in drive it still beeps. Details: I am using boot camp too. beeps with both os systems. i am also running alot of extras connected to usb. when i remove them except for mouse and keyboard it still beeps. every thing still works smoothly though. any thoughts? its like the alarm clock going off every 5 minutes its driving me crazy. No answers when i google.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't KNOW this .... it's just a guess...

Perhaps the internal battery is about dead and this is the Mini's way of providing a warning??

If you're up to the task of opening the case, it's a <$10 battery ... just MAYBE that's the problem. If it were mine, I'd spend the $10 and check that out before I bothered to pack the thing to an Apple Store or repair shop.

Now... in the meantime, feel free to take a writing class. Learn where to place capital letters. Learn how to write actual sentences as opposed to a bunch of words crammed together that are missing key elements of proper grammatical structure. Learning the difference between "its" and "it's" might be a good place to start! (I'll give you a bit of a break though, since you used "to" and "too" correctly )
  • Reply 2 of 3
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Is there some way to find out what software is sending beep commands out? My Mac Pro has twice gotten into some state where beeps are coming out at regular intervals (1 second? Like a heartbeat) - I killed every application and it still happened, only stopping when I did a restart.

I don't think it was the battery.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Is the beeping like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77dXHgrl7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44_BdwI9jM

If so, check your hard drive. If you open Disk Utility and check the S.M.A.R.T status, it may show a warning about drive failure coming. You should back it up ASAP and prepare to replace it.

Get an external drive and use Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal system to it.