Can I back up the movies I have bought from iTunes?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am running out of space on my MBP hard drive and would like to move the few movies I have bought from iTunes to another hard drive.

I already have the movies backed up thru Time Machine to an external drive. If in the event of a hard drive crash am I able to pull them back? I ask because I went to the movies location in finder and tried playing the file using quicklook and all I get is a grey screen. But if I try playing them thru iTunes then they play fine.

And once I have moved them to another hard drive, can I then back them up again using the Backup app?

Thanks.

I don't want to move them and delete the originals if they will only work on my MBP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    You can back them up wherever you like... No matter where or how you back them up though, they will only play in iTunes. It's called DRM. It's how the studios protect themselves from having their product distributed illegally. (By inconveniencing their legitimate customers.)

You can play it on more than one computer... just have your AppleID and password entered on other computers you want to play it on (from within iTunes.)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Can they not be burned to DVD?

Failing that, Time Machine
  • Reply 3 of 7
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Can they not be burned to DVD?

Failing that, Time Machine

Thanks for all the advice, I have decided to just use Time Machine. I let them back up to my external TM drive, and then I move them to another external drive.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Once time machine gets full, won't it delete older backups which may include the movie?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Once time machine gets full, won't it delete older backups which may include the movie?

Yeh, but will worry about that later, I have a TD drive I am backing up to, and it is only a quart full.

I have been copying the bought files to another drive and then once the TM drive is full will just start backing up the bought mov folder. It's convoluted, but it makes sense to me.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winhaha View Post

There is a step by step guide remove the DRM protection and to burn DRM protected iTunes videos/movies/TV shows to DVD playable on home DVD player and enjoy on the widescreen TV. What you need to do are just two steps: 1. Remove DRM protect from purchased iTunes video/movie/TV show to unprotected video.2. Burn the non-protected video to DVD.

You've missed the point and you are spamming.

Could a moderator please ban this user .
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Can I delete a movie from inside itunes once it is backed up with time machine in order for me to free up some space on my laptop?

When I delete it can i still access the movie through time capsule without having to retransfer it to my laptop?

In apple Tv will all the library I have previously backed up on time capsule appear?