Browser Spoofing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My preferred browser is Camino. I use QuickBooks online to do my accounting work. I have to use Internet Explorer to access QuickBooks Online. I don't like having to go to a PC, or using Parallel, or Bootcamp. I would like to see if there is a way to spoof a mac browser so that I can make it immulate Internet explorer.

Can anyone help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    The User Agent prefpane (http://pimpmycamino.com/parts/user-agent) will allow you to change Camino's User-Agent string into Internet Explorer's. This might make QuickBooks online to believe that you're using IE, not Camino.

If you do use Safari 3 or above, you can enable the Developer menu from the Advanced pane inside the Preferences. It will allow you to change Safari's User-Agent to IE's too.

However, if the site you want to use have some IE specific codes (e.g. ActiveX Control), that site will still not run in Camino / Firefox / Safari, even if you change the User-Agent of your browser. Wish you good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afx5i View Post

The User Agent prefpane (http://pimpmycamino.com/parts/user-agent) will allow you to change Camino's User-Agent string into Internet Explorer's. This might make QuickBooks online to believe that you're using IE, not Camino.

If you do use Safari 3 or above, you can enable the Developer menu from the Advanced pane inside the Preferences. It will allow you to change Safari's User-Agent to IE's too.

However, if the site you want to use have some IE specific codes (e.g. ActiveX Control), that site will still not run in Camino / Firefox / Safari, even if you change the User-Agent of your browser. Wish you good luck.

Also, Firefox has the User Agent Switcher extension.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlm226 View Post

I would like to see if there is a way to spoof a mac browser so that I can make it immulate Internet explorer.

There are many in these parts who would love to learn how to immolate IE.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I am against browser spoofing because it gives businesses the wrong impression about what browsers are being used to access their sites. The more people that set their browser to fool sites into thinking they are being accessed by IE, the less likely the sites are going to be coded to open standards.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlm226 View Post

My preferred browser is Camino. I use QuickBooks online to do my accounting work. I have to use Internet Explorer to access QuickBooks Online. I don't like having to go to a PC, or using Parallel, or Bootcamp. I would like to see if there is a way to spoof a mac browser so that I can make it immulate Internet explorer.

Can anyone help.

You could try Safari (enable Develop menu) or Firefox with User-agent switching extension..

Or you can use Wine and install Internet Explorer 6 without having to install Windows.