Desktop Icons move on startup

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have this ONE icon that keeps moving @ every startup...

is there any way to prevent this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    This probably won't help, but I've had some success with this. From the Finder go to View>Clean Up. All your icons will shift a little (some maybe more then a little). Then put the icon where you want it. Restart and see if it stays put. Like I said, I've had a little success with this.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    thanks michael, i tried that already, unfortunately, it still moves

dammit! only that ONE icon!

that's one out of the 7 I have on the desktop
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]I have this ONE icon that keeps moving @ every startup...

is there any way to prevent this?

<hr></blockquote>

don't ever re-start your computer...problem solved ....sorry had to be a smart ass....have no solution for you....my hard drive icon moves a couple of centimeters with every restart for some reason or another....g
  • Reply 4 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Try clicking on the desktop and pressing cmd+j. This will bring up the view options. Select "keep arranged". That oughta do it unless you like to arrange your icons in a special (ie, non-linear) way.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    or

1) put the app/file/folder in the dock

or

2) you could try and boot into OS 9 and delete the .DS_Store file in the OS X desktop folder (if there is one). Otherwise, delete it through a Terminal session. That will kill the folder prefs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Just move the icon off the desktop. Or try to create a new shortcut and see if that does anything.