Which Setup Do You Think Would Be Best?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi. I was thinking of getting a new MBP with all the upgrades, and than someone gave me a suggestion. The idea was that instead of an MBP, get a MacBook and an iMac. This way, I have a nice desktop to use, and a laptop for portability. I would create a VPN to the iMac, and also use ACTS, since it is faster than VNC (my internet is 12/2, so its a pretty solid connection).

I will be going to college in one and a half years, so that is an important factor. I currently have a PowerBook (specs in my profile info, look at bottom of post), which runs Dreamweaver. Fireworks, and Flash pretty decently for the system. I would need those, plus Photoshop and Illustrator, and the other not so intensive apps, like iWork. I'm not big on video editing, but I do want to learn Cocoa and work in Xcode. The portable system I get now will probably be the system I take to college. Anything I absolutely need that won't run on my MB, I will use through ACTS to my iMac, but that selection should be limited, if it even exists.

As for gaming, I do once in a while (I'm not a huge gamer), and the games I would put on the MB aren't that graphics intensive. I would use the iMac for most of my games anyways.

This setup is only a few hundred dollars more, which seems like a lot, but I am getting 2 systems, one (MB) a little under the MBP and the iMac, which would be equal to or better (spec-wise). I need a system to carry around, but I also like a system I can always have on, but it's not neccesary. Any, and all, systems I get will have a copy of Windows 2008 Server Enterprise Edition installed, only because that is what I have for Windows. Not actually using for a server. I plan on having 4GB of RAM on both systems if I go with that setup, and a VM may be used once in a while for testing (also use Parallels to boot from BootCamp partition when just need Windows for something quick.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I think the main question here is, can you survive with the 13-inch display in a MacBook? I had had the same debate with myself before, but I ended up getting myself a MacBook because I don't need that 2"+ of screen space and the discrete graphics inside the MacBook Pros. The money I saved on getting a MacBook instead let me purchased a full copy of Adobe Creative Suite using my student ID. I'm happy with my decision.

One thing I would like to point out here is, you've mentioned you have been using Macromedia(now Adobe)'s software on a PowerBook. You'll need to get the new versions if you want the speed on your new machines. If I were you, I will save the money on an iMac for the software upgrades. Wish you good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I have the CS4 Master Collection.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Great! I shouldn't have assumed that you're not using the Universal-binary version of CS Suite. How stupid I am. :P
  • Reply 4 of 13
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I guess I would get the Macbook Pro and a Cinema Display and save on the double licenses for software to run on two computers
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I guess I would get the Macbook Pro and a Cinema Display and save on the double licenses for software to run on two computers

Agree with you on software licenses. Definitely cause you money when you have two machines and want to use the same softwares on both machines.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macwiz1220 View Post

Hi. I was thinking of getting a new MBP with all the upgrades, and than someone gave me a suggestion. The idea was that instead of an MBP, get a MacBook and an iMac. This way, I have a nice desktop to use, and a laptop for portability. I would create a VPN to the iMac, and also use ACTS, since it is faster than VNC (my internet is 12/2, so its a pretty solid connection).

I will be going to college in one and a half years, so that is an important factor. I currently have a PowerBook (specs in my profile info, look at bottom of post), which runs Dreamweaver. Fireworks, and Flash pretty decently for the system. I would need those, plus Photoshop and Illustrator, and the other not so intensive apps, like iWork. I'm not big on video editing, but I do want to learn Cocoa and work in Xcode. The portable system I get now will probably be the system I take to college. Anything I absolutely need that won't run on my MB, I will use through ACTS to my iMac, but that selection should be limited, if it even exists.

As for gaming, I do once in a while (I'm not a huge gamer), and the games I would put on the MB aren't that graphics intensive. I would use the iMac for most of my games anyways.

This setup is only a few hundred dollars more, which seems like a lot, but I am getting 2 systems, one (MB) a little under the MBP and the iMac, which would be equal to or better (spec-wise). I need a system to carry around, but I also like a system I can always have on, but it's not neccesary. Any, and all, systems I get will have a copy of Windows 2008 Server Enterprise Edition installed, only because that is what I have for Windows. Not actually using for a server. I plan on having 4GB of RAM on both systems if I go with that setup, and a VM may be used once in a while for testing (also use Parallels to boot from BootCamp partition when just need Windows for something quick.)

You are just a college kid and you are thinking of spending $2000 on computers? LOL.

Don't be a spoiled brat and buy an acer craptop for $550 then pirate all your software.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afx5i View Post

Agree with you on software licenses. Definitely cause you money when you have two machines and want to use the same softwares on both machines.

It should run as long as the machines aren't on the same network while running the apps.

Anyway, for this level of work, the Macbook alone should be good enough, just get a 24-Inch external display and a fast internal drive (7200 rpm drive or SSD). SSD is good if you need to rely on not losing your college papers to a drive crash.

No need to have an iMac and a Macbook, it will just cause extra problems keeping the data synced up. The Macbook Pro will be added bulk to carry around.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I don't know if it's still this way since Adobe likes to give its customers nice big "F#$% You!"s, but I think you're allowed to have the same license on one desktop and one laptop as long as they both belong to you. I know my Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS3s are like that. I can even have them both open on the same network at the same time.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I don't know if it's still this way since Adobe likes to give its customers nice big "F#$% You!"s, but I think you're allowed to have the same license on one desktop and one laptop as long as they both belong to you. I know my Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS3s are like that. I can even have them both open on the same network at the same time.

Yep!!!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    what the over/under on your price limit?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I wasn't referring only to Adobe software
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afx5i View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

You are just a college kid and you are thinking of spending $2000 on computers? LOL.

Don't be a spoiled brat and buy an acer craptop for $550 then pirate all your software.

1. most SW allows an install on a laptop and a desktop

2. student pricing is pretty good

I would still recommend the MBP, though, or possibly a macbook + 2nd monitor. It's a lot easier to deal with one computer. Is there a reason to have two? Do you render animations that take all night (or longer)? Just get one computer. You can get an external drive or even a time-capsule (or whatever they call it) if you're nutsy about backup.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Get a MacBook 2.4ghz ... then connect to a 20" or bigger external monitor. Once you have one main Mac, you'll want it everywhere you go.

The MacBook 2.4ghz should have enough in it to last you one and a half years, by the time you start college you may want to have a different computer, you can trade in/ eBay your MacBook.

MacBook 2.4ghz with 4GB of RAM. Load it up with your software etc. Get an Apple 24" LED display, or 20" monitor of your choosing.

I think in one and a half years time you'd probably trade up to a MacBook Pro 15" and use that as your main Mac.

My 2 cents.