Jaguar Classic startup up slow and no fonts

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
has anyone else experienced the pitiful slow startup of classic under jaguar,

i still am taking awhile to get all my programs over to OS X so i still need classic from time to time,

trouble is i can go and make coffee, drink and go for a leak and it's still booting, AAARRRGGHHH

then . . . suitcase 10 takes forever to open fonts, hallo - time is of the essence.

but the fonts don't work, suitcase opens them and they work for native apps but the classic ones theres nothing.

can you all tell me whats going on, i heard that there will be a classic update soon, so maybe will get fixed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    I'm truly sorry that you have some kind of problem with Classic in OS X 10.2. My experience has been incredible. Classic loads in less than 30 seconds and all my apps work perfectly. In fact, I was having such good success, I decided to reinstall Rune and give it a try. It wouldn't work in 10.0 or 10.1 Classic. To my utter amazement, it now works better than it ever did in OS 9!

When you figure out what is causing the problem(s), you're going to love the new and much-improved Classic!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    On my dual 1 Ghz tower and Jaguar, Classic goes from not running to up and running in 4 seconds. That's spelled "four". Methinks you need to do some serious extension editing. If you go into the Classic preference panel in System Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and pull down the menu and select Extensions Manager. Then start Classic and Extensions Manager will come up. Turn off every extension that you don't need, which will be a lot of them considing you're running OS 9 in emulation, essentially.

Pare down those extensions and your Classic boot time will decrease considerably.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    After installing 10.2, my Classic doesn't work.. something about not being able to alter some necessary files.. any idea's what's up with this?

Resource Update Error

"An error was encountered while attempting to update your system folder with Classic-specific resources."
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I had a similar problem and found, that a corrupted font caused these. So check your fonts (there used to be a utility for doing this) and remove all duplicates!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You might try selecting the 9.2.2 folder in the Startup Disk pane, then launching Classic.

I've had those errors before as well, and that has fixed them. I don't think it is 10.2 specific, though the problem may have manifested itself in a new way.