Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released Mac OS X 10.5.6, a recommended update for all Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard users that includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of Macs. Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server was also released in addition to Security Updates for client and server Macs still running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update (client)

The Mac OS X 10.5.6 client software is available as a 373MB download for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.5 and a 668MB download for Macs running earlier versions of the Leopard operating system. A list of specific enhancements included in the release follows:

Address Book

Improves reliability of Address Book syncing with iPhone and other devices and applications.

AirPort

Improves the reliability of AirPort connections, including improvements when roaming in large wireless networks with an Intel-based Mac.

Client management

Improves reliability of synchronizing files on a portable home directory.

Fixes an issue in Mac OS X 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 in which managed users may not see printers that use the Generic PPD.

Client computers that use UUID-based ByHost preferences now respect managed Screen Saver settings.

iChat

Addresses an issue that could cause an encryption alert to appear in the chat window.

Setting your iChat status to "invisible" via AppleScript no longer logs you out of iChat.

Resolves an issue in which pasting text from a Microsoft Office document could insert an image rather than text.

Graphics

Includes general improvements to gaming performance.

Includes graphics improvements for iChat, Cover Flow, Aperture, and iTunes.

Includes fixes for possible graphics distortion issues with certain ATI graphics cards.

Mail

Includes overall performance and reliability fixes.

Improves Connection Doctor accuracy.

Fixes an issue that could cause messages identified as junk to remain in the inbox.

Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to append a character to the file extension of an attachment.

Addresses an issue that could prevent Mail from quitting.

Improves reliability when printing PDF attachments.

MobileMe

Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.

Networking

Improves Apple File Service performance, especially when using a home directory hosted on an AFP server. Important: If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.6 (client) to connect to a Mac OS X Server 10.4-based server, it is strongly recommended that you update the server to Mac OS X Server version 10.4.11.

Improves the performance and reliability of TCP connections.

Improves reliability and performance for AT&T 3G cards.

Updates the ssh Terminal command for compatibility with more ssh servers.

Printing

Improves printing for the Adobe CS3 application suite.

Improves printing for USB-based Brother and Canon printers.

Parental Controls

Addresses an issue in which a parentally-controlled account could be unable to access the iTunes Store.

Includes general fixes for time limits.

Resolves an issue that prevented adding allowed websites from Safari via drag and drop.

Time Machine

Fixes issues that could cause Time Machine to state the backup volume could not be found.

Improves Time Machine reliability with Time Capsule.

Safari

Improves compatibility with web proxy servers.

General

Includes Mac OS X security improvements. See this website for more information.

Addresses inaccuracies with Calculator when the Mac OS X language is set to German or Swiss German.

Improves the performance and reliability of Chess.

Improves DVD Player performance and reliability.

Performance improvements for iCal are included.

Fixes an issue when running the New iCal Events Automator action as an applet.

Adds a Trackpad System Preference pane for portable Macs.

Improves compatibility with smart cards such as the U.S. Department of Defense Common Access Card.

Updates time zone data and Daylight Saving Time rules for several countries.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server is available as a 469MB download for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.5 Server and as a 883MB download for Macs running earlier versions of Leopard Server. Enhancements in the new version include:

File Services

Improves performance and reliability of Apple File Service.

Spotlight provides more reliable results when remote users search a server volume with Spotlight searching enabled. Important: This change takes effect when you enable Spotlight searching on a sharepoint. In order to take advantage of this improvement on a sharepoint where you have already enabled Spotlight searching, disable Spotlight searching, save, re-enable Spotlight searching, and save again. The sharepoint will remain online during this process, but Spotlight searching will be unavailable for a short time while the index is rebuilt.

Fixes an issue that could make NFS exports unavailable at server startup.
Podcast Producer

Podcast Producer now supports Digest-MD5 authentication, for improved compatibility with Active Directory users, and Kerberos authentication for single sign-on. 
Note: In order to use Single-Sign On in Podcast Capture, you must explicitly select that Authentication Type option in Preferences. For more information about enabling Single-Sign On for the Podcast service in an Open Directory environment, click here. For more information about enabling and disabling authentication methods on the server, see this article.

Improves reliability of camera connections.
Password Server

Improves performance of Password Server replication.
System Imaging

When deploying a system image created from a volume, the target computers will no longer have identical local KDC files. For more information, see this article.

Added NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for recent MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air computers.
Server Admin

Fixes an issue that could cause Server Admin to stop responding when propagating permissions on a folder which is on a volume other than the boot volume.
System Performance and Reliability

Improves overall system reliability.

Improves performance and reliability of TCP connections.

Fixes an issue that could occur when ejecting a volume on a Promise VTrak RAID.

Improves reliability of RAID Utility.

Addtional improvements

Improves Mac OS X Server Security. For more information about the security content of Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 see this article.

Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 also includes all other improvements delivered in the Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update (client) mentioned above.

Security Updates for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Client and Server

Apple also released Security Update 2008-008 for Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.11 . The patch is available as a 71.6MB download for PowerPC Macs running 10.4.11, or as a 163.2MB download for Intel Macs running 10.4.11.

The same update is available as a 133MB download for PowerPC Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server and a 133MB download for Intel Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    I have it installed.

I can't tell any difference.

My computer hasn't blown up.

I might go for a run.
  • Reply 2 of 134
    I hope this fixes my Screen Sharing and/or my Time Machine issues.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MobileMe

Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.

I'm surpised this tidbit isn't getting more attention. This was A MAJOR ITCH for a lot of people when the MobileMe "Push" was unveiled. 10.5.6, and it's what everyone wants.

yay.
  • Reply 4 of 134
    I think it is just weird, that the update for older OS versions is so much smaller (71 MB) than the update for the newest version (372 MB).

And on the Apple website it says you can use the 71 MB update also for 10.5.5.

This is just totally weird.

Almost looks like, they replaced something in 10.5.5 which they are now again replacing with something that was already there since the beginning.

But still does not explain why the 71 MB update is also supposed to work with 10.5.5 while the 372 MB update is only for 10.5.5

Seriously is this just wrong? I am totally lost!!!
  • Reply 5 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

I think it is just weird, that the update for older OS versions is so much smaller (71 MB) than the update for the newest version (372 MB).

Almost looks like, they replaced something in 10.5.5 which they are now again replacing with something that was already there since the beginning.

But still does not explain why the 71 MB update is also supposed to work with 10.5.5 while the 372 MB update is only for 10.5.5

Seriously is this just wrong? I am totally lost!!!

Yeah, i'm really confused on that as well.

Is it because earlier leopard verions have to get other updates that cant be packaged together with 10.5.6?
  • Reply 6 of 134
    190 MB download in Software Update for my PowerBook on 10.5.5 ? I wouldn't read too much into the delta v combo sizes. They've been all over the place with Leopard. I fully expect my Intel desktop to wind up with something quite different.
  • Reply 7 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

Yeah, i'm really confused on that as well.

Is it because earlier leopard verions have to get other updates that cant be packaged together with 10.5.6?

The Combo Update is 668MB and not 71MB.
  • Reply 8 of 134
    Strange indeed...here are the download options:

PowerPC Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update through Software Update is 190 MB

Mac OS X Combo Update 668 MB, The page indicates 71 MB, but the download is 668 MB

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update (for Mac OS X 10.5.5) is 372 MB. That download is 372 MB.

Very strange. Downloading the big combo update for installation on 3 Macs.
  • Reply 9 of 134
    Quote:

Improves the performance and reliability of Chess.

Oh thank God!

Jimzip
  • Reply 10 of 134
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Has this fixed the two most annoying Leopard bugs ever?

1) the dock appears after a few minutes while watching movies full screen in QuickTime

2) When clicking a link in Mail while Safari is in another Space, the websites is opened in a window behind all other windows!

Guess I will find out in a few minutes, but I am not holding my breath
  • Reply 11 of 134
    Did they thin out the molasses that they use to run iCal?
  • Reply 12 of 134
    I've tried updating 4 Macs. 2 PPC and 2 Intel.

The update install has hung on 3 of them. Only 1 of the Intels has successfully updated.
  • Reply 13 of 134
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Did they thin out the molasses that they use to run iCal?

Let's sure hope so

• Reply 14 of 134
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

Has this fixed the two most annoying Leopard bugs ever?

1) the dock appears after a few minutes while watching movies full screen in QuickTime

2) When clicking a link in Mail while Safari is in another Space, the websites is opened in a window behind all other windows!

Guess I will find out in a few minutes, but I am not holding my breath

What's the status on the bug report you presumably filed with Apple?
  • Reply 15 of 134
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Is it snappier? I hope they have fixed all the imaginary problems as well. But if not, let the whining begin.
  • Reply 16 of 134
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Addresses inaccuracies with Calculator when the Mac OS X language is set to German or Swiss German.

That cracked me up
  • Reply 17 of 134
    I started downloading the update at 11:50 CST. The update interface said it was 190 MB. About 39 MB into it my computer, a 2007 MacBook Pro restarted itself. That was about 20 minutes ago. All that displays on the notebook's screen is the installing 1 update/configuring installation indicator. What do I do now?
  • Reply 18 of 134
    All smooth going here on an Intel imac.
  • Reply 19 of 134
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    My DL is 190MB to update a 2,2 MBP from 10.5.5
  • Reply 20 of 134
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Fixes issues that could cause Time Machine to state the backup volume could not be found.

That's the one that bit me when I got a brand new system board installed. Good to see it most likely won't happen again.