iPhone dev team to unlock iPhone 3G for New Years

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though its been a long time coming, a group of hackers known as the iPhone Dev Team have successfully created a software unlock for the iPhone 3G that should free owners to use the handset on carriers other than those sanctioned by Apple.

The hack, code-named "yellowsn0w," is currently being packaged into a user-friendly application with the simplicity provided by similar tools such as the PwnageTool jailbreaking assistant and BootNeuter baseband unlocker.

An public release is slated for December 31st, New Year's Eve.

The unlock will require a jailbroken iPhone 3G that's running baseband version 2.11.07 or earlier. To ensure that an iPhone preserves an unlockable version of the baseband, the Dev Team recommends that users refrain from using the QuickPwn tool or applying any of Apple's iPhone software updates that aren't already supported by the PwnageTool jailbreaking app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So I can't post stories about my baseband, but IA then writes articles dedicated to the same thing!? Give me a break.

Thanks guys

• Reply 2 of 42
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The hack, code-named "yellowsn0w," is currently being packaged into a user-friendly application...

hahaha looks like there's piss on the leopard's snow. lovely name.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So I can't post stories about my baseband, but IA then writes articles dedicated to the same thing!? Give me a break.

Thanks guys

Who says you can't post about your baseband?

Best,

K
  • Reply 4 of 42
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    For those of us in the U.S., isn't T-Mobile the only other alternative with an unlocked 3G? Are they really any better than AT&T?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

For those of us in the U.S., isn't T-Mobile the only other alternative with an unlocked 3G? Are they really any better than AT&T?

It is only useful for those who travel overseas and those who want to sell their iPhones on ebay

Don't tell me you still didn't buy an iPhone yet
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Can this be coupled with the 'Enable Data Roaming' option? I might want to use a local SIM when travelling but I don't want to use this SIM for data charges (I'd rely on Wifi only, exactly what is achieved by disabling data roaming).
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is only useful for those who travel overseas and those who want to sell their iPhones on ebay

From an American point of view, yes (if you call Canada overseas). In most other countries, multiple GSM-based providers are available, so you don't even have to leave your country to make use of the opportunity to use a different provider (and except for island nations, no 'overseas' trip is necessary to go abroad).
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Yes, Am on T Mobile with a 1st Gen all is good everything works except Visual Voicemail.

Did not want to sign with ATT and already had Tmo.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:

For those of us in the U.S., isn't T-Mobile the only other alternative with an unlocked 3G?

Yes but isn't T-M's 3G data service in the USA incompatible with AT&T's for some reason I don't presently recall?

Quote:

Are they really any better than AT&T?

No, since T-M has very little 3G coverage at this point in any case.

I agree that the utility of an unlocked iPhone is mainly for international travelers, who could benefit from using a local SIM.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Best,

K

I locked his thread about iphone unlocking and links to a site offering a method for doing so as I figured it wasn't something the forum should promote.

I've read articles about Apple limiting iphone numbers to countries with high unlocking rates and no doubt the more people taking business away from legitimate carriers, I can see a point where some of them could make things more difficult for legitimate users.

They already started enforcing in-store activations because of it.

I think discussing the issue is ok but perhaps it's better to avoid promoting it because it voids people's warranties among other things.

We do talk about Mac clones and post links to those sites too though so I guess this isn't much different but I don't want AI to become one of those sites where people post unlocking guides and things and have people who don't know what they're doing breaking their phones.

It's a fine line but this article is only mentioning what the dev team will be doing, Ireland's thread was a review of him using an unlocking sim and where to get it. I thought that was just on the wrong side of this type of discussion.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I locked his thread about iphone unlocking and links to a site offering a method for doing so as I figured it wasn't something the forum should promote.

I've read articles about Apple limiting iphone numbers to countries with high unlocking rates and no doubt the more people taking business away from legitimate carriers, I can see a point where some of them could make things more difficult for legitimate users.

I think discussing the issue is ok but perhaps it's better to avoid promoting it because it voids people's warranties among other things.

We do talk about Mac clones and post links to those sites too though so I guess this isn't much different but I don't want AI to become one of those sites where people post unlocking guides and things and have people who don't know what they're doing breaking their phones.

It's a fine line but this article is only mentioning what the dev team will be doing, Ireland's thread was a review of him using an unlocking sim and where to get it. I thought that was just on the wrong side of this type of discussion.

This is excellent!!!!

Right below the original post there is a Google ad for unlocking the iPhone.

HAHAHAHA
  • Reply 12 of 42
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, I understand. Going forward, lets not prevent members for discussing topics unless they are illegal or offensive to other members. I think it may be good service to occasionally post a disclaimer about the risks of such methods within the threads.

Best,

K
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Hopefully, AT&T will treat the iPhone as any other phone and offer unlocking soon.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Best,

K

You locked my thread about what this thread is about, unlocking the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Yeah, I understand. Going forward, lets not prevent members for discussing topics unless they are illegal or offensive to other members. I think it may be good service to occasionally post a disclaimer about the risks of such methods within the threads.

Best,

K

Thank you! Finally some logic to all this. For now, my signature says it all
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Good point.

There really aren't any GREAT cell companies. And in this country, it's AT&T or T-Mobile. So the only real benefit I see (unless you are locked in with T-Mobile) is using the phone overseas.

I mean, is this whole unlocking business really anything to get excited about? What's the benefit?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

The plans are cheaper and there is no extra fee to tether your phone to your laptop.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

The plans are cheaper and there is no extra fee to tether your phone to your laptop.

Tethering is limited by the lack of such official software on the iPhone not because you need to pay extra on AT&T to get it. The only way to tether your iPhone to your laptop is to jailbreak and use unofficial third party software.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Tethering is limited by the lack of such official software on the iPhone not because you need to pay extra on AT&T to get it. The only way to tether your iPhone to your laptop is to jailbreak and use unofficial third party software.

Not correct. I've had several friends with Blackberries switch from ATT for this very reason.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Not correct. I've had several friends with Blackberries switch from ATT for this very reason.

Did you read my post? Please go back and read my post again. Even if you are welling to pay the $60/month tethering you cannot tether your iPhone to your laptop because the iPhone officially cannot support tethering.