Downloading & SLEEPING ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If I was downloading a very big file over night, will the download keep going if the computer goes to sleep?

[will it keep DL'ing, if I don't check the "put hd to sleep?]

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    if the computer goes to sleep. your download will stop.

the HD can't go to sleep when you're writing something on her.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    but if i set the hd to not go to sleep, shouldn't the HD continue to receive data?

cna i put the settings to "never" for sleep, and the display to "15 minutes" and have the HD continue to work w/the monitor off?

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: badtz ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Yes the PC can have the display off while the rest (CPU, HD) is on while you are downloading.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My Beige G3 will play mp3's or a stream over the internet while in sleep. I used MacAmp PR 0.3.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    is there anyway for the computer to use less power and still be able to allow network/download activity?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

<strong>is there anyway for the computer to use less power and still be able to allow network/download activity?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tell the monitor to go to sleep but leave the everyhing else on. Both OS 9.x and 10.x can do this (maybe not 10.0.x; I don't remember the Energy Saver control panel from that version well enough to say).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ebby:

<strong>My Beige G3 will play mp3's or a stream over the internet while in sleep. I used MacAmp PR 0.3. </strong><hr></blockquote>

No, it won't. Most likely the monitor has gone to sleep, which you mistook for the computer being asleep.

sleeping = hard drive off, CPU inactive, and just a little bit of power to the RAM to keep data from disappearing.

-robo