New iMacs and Mac minis confirmed to use NVIDIA chipsets

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation iMacs and Mac minis will adopt the same NVIDIA chipset platform found at the heart of the company's most recent notebook overhaul, new findings confirm once over.

A member of the InsanelyMac forums was recently rifling through the extension files that ship with the latest MacBooks and MacBooks Pros and discovered references to a "Macmini3,1" and "iMac9,1."

Running System Profiler on Apple's most current iMacs and Mac minis reveal the model number of those systems to be "Macmini2,1" and "iMac8,1," meaning the configuration files included with the company's latest notebooks are for still unannounced models.

Specifically, the extension file of interest pertains to a Mac's System Management Controller and Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext). It includes a variety of information, including strings that identify the supporting chipset of each Mac.

The entries for the unannounced iMac and Mac minis list their chipset as the "CFG_MCP79," which is the same exact NVIDIA MCP79 platform employed by unibody MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and MacBook Airs, which are similarly identified in the same file as the MacBook5,1, MacBookPro5,1, and MacBookAir2,1.

Also of interest is that the entries for the new iMac and Mac mini are dated 2008, which may provide evidence to support claims that these systems were originally targeted for a release in the November time frame but were pushed into the first quarter of the year due to unexpected delays.

While announcing its new notebook offerings in October, Apple had indicated that it would be using more of NVIDIA's technology in its Mac computer line going forward.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 180
    About time we had some decent hardware rumours!
  • Reply 2 of 180
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    OK, great- now just add a new casing on the iMac , please.
  • Reply 3 of 180
    Makes you wonder if they wouldn't have announced them in time for the holiday season if it weren't for MacWorld?
  • Reply 4 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OK, great- now just add a new casing on the iMac , please.

I think the current iMac is a superbly designed from an aesthetic point of view.

It's only major fault is that it is not user serviceable unlike previous iMacs.

If the hard drive dies, don't try to repair it yourself.

You will screw up the machine.

The only thing you can upgrade/replace is the RAM.
  • Reply 5 of 180
    Good news all round. What about the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 6 of 180
    I recently placed my mac mini in my son's room for gaming, but the graphics were not fast enough. I am thinking that this will be a good option for them to play crossover games.
  • Reply 7 of 180
    Quote:

OK, great- now just add a new casing on the Mac mini, please.

fix'd
  • Reply 8 of 180
    For iMac design, I mostly just want to see the power cord changed to black. It sure looks funny having that white power cord coming out of the black backside of the iMac.

The new mini should show some significant performance increase. That will be great.
  • Reply 9 of 180
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would have hoped the iMac would have better graphics than the MB Pro. Maybe there will be options.
  • Reply 10 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stukdog View Post

For iMac design, I mostly just want to see the power cord changed to black. It sure looks funny having that white power cord coming out of the black backside of the iMac.

The new mini should show some significant performance increase. That will be great.

It will be interesting what they offer. I've been looking at my VERY old desktop system and I am tired of waiting for Apple to offer a computer for under $2700 where I can add a 2nd (or 3rd) internal hard drive.

Again: iMac, minus display with space for two hard drives = golden.
  • Reply 11 of 180
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would have hoped the iMac would have better graphics than the MB Pro. Maybe there will be options.

The MBP has two graphics chips but based on this report, the "CFG_MCP79" designation does not distinguish it from the MB or MBA. So even though the iMac gets the same designation (per this report), it doesn't mean that the iMac will not have a second chip equal to or better than what is in the MBP.
  • Reply 12 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I recently placed my mac mini in my son's room for gaming, but the graphics were not fast enough. I am thinking that this will be a good option for them to play crossover games.

By crossover, do you mean the games EA has wrapped up in Mac sauce? You'd be a lot better off either just getting games actually ported to Mac by Aspyr, or just installing XP and playing windows games. Cider creates such a performance problem that it's not even funny.
  • Reply 13 of 180
    Quote:

I think the current iMac is a superbly designed from an aesthetic point of view.

I beg to differ. The white one - yes. Gorgeous.

This one is simply a revamped environmentally repackaged version- from it's glossy screen to its cheapo enviro black back plastic. The shiny white mouse doesn't even match nor the white keyed keyboard. And don't even mention the racoon eyeliner around the screen. Hopefully the new one omits the Jay Leno chin.

But whatever - let's move to a new design or get the color scheme/ texture at least right.
  • Reply 14 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stukdog View Post

Wow, that is a silly oversight.

Quote:

I beg to differ. The white one - yes. Gorgeous.

This one is simply a revamped environmentally repackaged version- from it's glossy screen to its cheapo enviro black back plastic. The shiny white mouse doesn't even match nor the white keyed keyboard. And don't even mention the racoon eyeliner around the screen. Hopefully the new one omits the Jay Leno chin.

But whatever - let's move to a new design or get the color scheme/ texture at least right.

It's probably going to be a while, Apple doesn't change their computer aesthetic designs very often.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

fix'd

Given the length of time that aesthetic design has been on the market, a face lift is overdue, but I don't have a problem with the aesthetics of the mini. In fact, the rest of the Mac line has been brought towards the mini's look, not away from it.
  • Reply 15 of 180
    I don't have any real info, but the best guess on available info is that the Mac Mini has been completely redesigned, whereas the iMacs will likely look much the same but with the new graphics update.

Also, when you think about it, it makes no sense to upgrade the entire line to this faster graphics system yet leave out the one device that deals exclusively with graphics and multimedia, so we can also hope for an Apple TV redesign as well even though nothing has really been mentioned on that front.

When you add those product intros to the financials segment, and possibly a segment about Snow Leopard, there isn't much time left in the keynote for anything else. Unless it's unusually long, I would speculate that the tablet won't be revealed at this one.

Possibly this will be shown at the new "Steve Jobs LIVE!" TV show later in the year?
  • Reply 16 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wow, that is a silly oversight.

Well it does match the mouse.
  • Reply 17 of 180
    Cool, so now we know the new iMac and Mac mini will use the 9400M NVIDIA chipset-on-a-chip and Mini DisplayPort. I'm guessing FW400 ports are dead to Apple, so the iMac will just have FW800 while the Mac mini...well, it only has FW400, so I wonder if they'd give a distinctly "non-pro" Mac a port it's never had, FW800; doubt it. iMac will also get LED backlighting, the NVIDIA 9600M discrete GPU (at the very least), and (hopefully) a black-keyed aluminum keyboard.

Maybe the Mac mini will get a redesign to make it easily user-serviceable and to adopt the black-on-aluminum look of the rest of Apple's computers. Could totally see them switch out the white plastic for black and perhaps offer a 128GB SSD build-to-order option.

Obviously the lingering question is, what about the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 18 of 180
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Well it does match the mouse.

I'd love a new mouse. The white Apple mouse does not match the current design and besides, it has the lowest life expectancy of any mouse ever. All mine have bitten the dust. Maybe my fingertips are just filthy greasy, but that tiny ball should be removable and cleanable. I know it is cleanable but not PROPERLY.
  • Reply 19 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Unless it's unusually long, I would speculate that the tablet won't be revealed at this one.

Definitely not happening. A Mac tablet would be a major announcement, which would be handled by Jobs, not Phil.
  • Reply 20 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I'd love a new mouse. The white Apple mouse does not match the current design and besides, it has the lowest life expectancy of any mouse ever. All mine have bitten the dust. Maybe my fingertips are just filthy greasy, but that tiny ball should be removable and cleanable. I know it is cleanable but not PROPERLY.

Same thoughts here... Mighty Mouse would be an easy product to improve upon, and they should think about offering two quality levels of mice. Mighty Mouse and MousePro.