Macbook Unibody Display or Hinge disassembly?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello All

I am trying to anodize my alluminum Macbook unibody that I just got and I have begun disassembling it. In order to anodize or electroplate the aluminum, it must be stripped down to pure metal. No cable, wires, boards, nothing. THe bottom half of the computer with the motherboard and keyboard I have succesfully gutted. The top half, however, I am having no such luck with. I need to remove the hinge/lcd/display assembly from the aluminum back cover. I have searched everrrrrywhere online and can find nothing. Ifixit does not go that far. The youtube video by this other company shows the Macbook Pro display and hinge magically come off, but they do not share how (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WwhhjUgbtM). Anyone know of a link or other info I could use? Thanks for your help and I look forward to showing the results of this electroplating job.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    There's a comment on that video saying that the Apple technicians aren't allowed to open up the displays... interesting!

The only other Apple product with the glass panel is the iMac, and to remove the iMacs glass panel you need to apply suction cups (like glass fitters use) to the face of the glass and pull the glass off. I believe that on the iMac the glass panel is simply held in place by magnets.

Perhaps the new MacBooks are the same?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks for your reply Messiah,

I am hoping that since i do now want to seperate glass from the actual LCD, that I am not trying to "get into the display" according to apples definition. I am hoping that the entire LCD/Glass assembly can be seperated from the aluminum back case as a single piece. There are some wire and things digging back there from the hinge so I would imagine there has to be a way to service back there. What if the stupid little Apple logo light burns out or something, that would have to be serviceable as well. But I will investigate this suction cup idea now as well so thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Hey,

Anyone suceeded yet?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arashd View Post

Thanks for your reply Messiah,

I am hoping that since i do now want to seperate glass from the actual LCD, that I am not trying to "get into the display" according to apples definition. I am hoping that the entire LCD/Glass assembly can be seperated from the aluminum back case as a single piece. There are some wire and things digging back there from the hinge so I would imagine there has to be a way to service back there. What if the stupid little Apple logo light burns out or something, that would have to be serviceable as well. But I will investigate this suction cup idea now as well so thanks!

The Apple logo is not illuminated by a separate light, rather the backlighting for the display itself, and the logo is made of a different material allowing the light to be seen from the back.

As far as removing the glass from the new displays, have a professional do the work! Do not attempt to disassemble the display yourself. An Apple Certified Repair Technician needs to handle this step to prevent your warranty from becoming voided, and if YOU do it, you will most likely break the assembly and have to spend $600-$800 for a new one.

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    x_cretex_crete Posts: 1member
    I found this link while searching for a way to "get into the display", haven't figured out how yet though. Have you tried the suction cup since? Was hoping to change the colour of the apple logo, bling it up a bit!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chasenewell View Post

The Apple logo is not illuminated by a separate light, rather the backlighting for the display itself, and the logo is made of a different material allowing the light to be seen from the back.

As far as removing the glass from the new displays, have a professional do the work! Do not attempt to disassemble the display yourself. An Apple Certified Repair Technician needs to handle this step to prevent your warranty from becoming voided, and if YOU do it, you will most likely break the assembly and have to spend $600-$800 for a new one.

I hope this helps.

He's ANODIZING his macbook, and you're telling him to have a tech do it to protect his warranty. . .