Macbook Keyboard Backlight Worth The Extra Money?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quick question? How many current generation Macbook owners opted for the more expensive keyboard backlight version? Was it worth the extra money over the standard Macbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Can't say for the MacBook, but I've had lighted keyboards on two machines now and love them. If you do much work in low light conditions they are sweet.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think the backlit keyboards are very good, especially in low-light conditions as mentioned. If you don't mind head-gear, save the money and buy one of these:

http://www.bargainstock.co.uk/Product.asp?pid=316

I think they should have included the light on all the machines. They clearly knew that the spec wasn't enough to sell the higher model. In the previous model, the special feature was the black casing, this time I think it's the keyboard backlight.

If you work in average light, don't bother with the higher up model as the display will cast some light onto the keyboard anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I would say yes, it is worth the extra money.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Until buying a MPB 3 weeks ago, I'd never used a backlit keyboard but now I'm a convert. They really make a difference. One of those things you never knew you missed until you tried it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yeah, I think I'll go with the backlit keyboard then. Thanks!

The only other problem I'm having is the choice between the 13.3 MacBook or the 15 inch MacBook Pro. I actually might be the only person in America that doesn't and hasn't ever owned a computer. I run the iPhone as my main computer and use my local Library's free one's to update it and do anything larger. Ohio has an excellent Library system!

I'm torn since I like the small footprint of the 13. It might be a boon to be able to have such a small full featured machine that's very portable and light. The tradeoff is everywhere I read complains that the screen is terrible.

The Air is out. I dearly love the design but without the optical drive I can't justify the price.

I also recognize that the 15 Pro has more features and a larger screen but the trade off is size, portability and weight. In my mind? When you start talking a 15/17 inch screen? Why not just drop the laptop and spring for an iMac.

Any advice?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Sorry if this is mildly incoherent... I just woke up. I own a MacBook Air, a 15" MacBook Pro and a MacBook.

What are you going to use the machine for, mainly? All three are great machines, with pluses and minuses.

The MacBook is much more portable than the MacBook Pro. Once you can actually lug each one around you find the difference pretty quickly. I prefer the Air to the MacBook for portability; the Air does what I need, but it is one of several computers I have so it is not a stand alone and may not suit some people's needs. Yes, the design is awesome and a head turner.

Any of the three computers can attach to Apple's new external LED monitor. So, again, the MacBook is the cheaper way to get into the game. Save your money, get iWork and maybe a few other good apps and you still come out cheaper than the MBP.

Welcome to Mac.

Added later after some coffee:

The 15" screen is nice; the real estate is useful for some apps. Personally, I can carry the weight, but I prefer not to. If you go for this, grab a good rucksack and you'll be fine with it on your back.

The MacBook has almost the same power but comes with a smaller footprint and less weight. Don't forget the power brick is also much lighter. The smaller screen will work well for most tasks and is functional with more complex stuff (I often have several apps up at once... Spaces can now help with that).

The Air is great-looking (I get comments on it every day) and super portable. The power brick is small, again leading to a much more portable package overall. No drive (there is an external one available) and only a couple of ports will keep some people away from the Air even if they can afford it. Be careful not to listen to the Air Bashers, though; it is a very capable machine for certain purposes.

The LED display Apple sells for these machines turn them in to nice home units. If I were going for portability and well-roundedness, I'd go MacBook. Fuller-featured, MacBook Pro. Lightweight, portable and cool as heck: MacBook Air.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I have the new MB Pro and have used the MB Air, as well as the previous gen macbook. I find the 15" screen ideal for daily use, and the weight doesn't bother me at all. I do find that I have never turned on the second graphics card and instead keep the machine at the energy save setting. Some good deals are to be found right now on the Mb Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Many, many thanks for this bit and, more importantly, the additional comments. Thanks!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Sorry if this is mildly incoherent... I just woke up. I own a MacBook Air, a 15" MacBook Pro and a MacBook.

What are you going to use the machine for, mainly? All three are great machines, with pluses and minuses.

The MacBook is much more portable than the MacBook Pro. Once you can actually lug each one around you find the difference pretty quickly. I prefer the Air to the MacBook for portability; the Air does what I need, but it is one of several computers I have so it is not a stand alone and may not suit some people's needs. Yes, the design is awesome and a head turner.

Any of the three computers can attach to Apple's new external LED monitor. So, again, the MacBook is the cheaper way to get into the game. Save your money, get iWork and maybe a few other good apps and you still come out cheaper than the MBP.

Welcome to Mac.

Added later after some coffee:

The 15" screen is nice; the real estate is useful for some apps. Personally, I can carry the weight, but I prefer not to. If you go for this, grab a good rucksack and you'll be fine with it on your back.

The MacBook has almost the same power but comes with a smaller footprint and less weight. Don't forget the power brick is also much lighter. The smaller screen will work well for most tasks and is functional with more complex stuff (I often have several apps up at once... Spaces can now help with that).

The Air is great-looking (I get comments on it every day) and super portable. The power brick is small, again leading to a much more portable package overall. No drive (there is an external one available) and only a couple of ports will keep some people away from the Air even if they can afford it. Be careful not to listen to the Air Bashers, though; it is a very capable machine for certain purposes.

The LED display Apple sells for these machines turn them in to nice home units. If I were going for portability and well-roundedness, I'd go MacBook. Fuller-featured, MacBook Pro. Lightweight, portable and cool as heck: MacBook Air.