Backing up photos in iPhoto (iLife '08)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm doing a fresh install of OSX, and wanted to make sure that to back up my photos in iPhoto '08, all I have to do is copy the iPhoto Library icon in the ~/Pictures folder. I only have to copy that icon right? All the photos are part of that one icon? including Events/Comments etc.?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Hi all,

I'm doing a fresh install of OSX, and wanted to make sure that to back up my photos in iPhoto '08, all I have to do is copy the iPhoto Library icon in the ~/Pictures folder. I only have to copy that icon right? All the photos are part of that one icon? including Events/Comments etc.?

Thanks

That should be all you need to do. But you should clone your drive before doing the fresh install just in case something goes wrong. Also, if you have the drive space, you might want to choose the Archive and Install option rather than just the Clean Install.

Claire
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ya, like clairejr said, backup ur whole drive with timemachine. if something goes wrong, timemachine backup will return EVERYTHING back to normal.

and about your iphoto, that's the correct "file". if you want to see the actual files, right click on it and choose "show package contents". if you're going to take anything from inside this, make sure to go to the "originals" folder. these are the hires images.