Any possibility of upped iPod GB's?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I am considering buying an iPod touch soon but was wondering what the likelihood may be that the storage capacities will get bumped next month (ideally 16GB will become the base model).

Thoughts? I realize no one really knows for sure except Apple.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    isn't the price shrinkage of space to cost in line with moores law?

so about 18 months.

if there is a bump in space, i'll be surprised. I think they will hold it back till the iPod event in sept/oct or maybe with the death of mac world, bring that forward to the iPhone even in june? or shuffle the whole lot together into one event...

either way, thats when I'd expect it, bump the whole line of i products at once.

plenty of reasons
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think we may see a "2.5G" iPod touch in 16 GB (low cost), 32 GB (standard cost) and 64 GB (high cost) models, especially now that Toshiba (and soon Samsung) will offer even higher-density flash memory chips.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danny_6285 View Post

Hello,

Hi there;

Quote:

I am considering buying an iPod touch soon but was wondering what the likelihood may be that the storage capacities will get bumped next month (ideally 16GB will become the base model).

It may be a bit of a stretch in the first week of January. The thing is this, the flash companies have higher density chips coming on line real soon, but they need to ramp to meet Apples volumes. So an update is possible in the first couple of months but putting a finger on the right date is not.

Quote:

Thoughts? I realize no one really knows for sure except Apple.

Well the comment about Apple is certain and the screwed up economy doesn't help. But as has been noted the chip makers are closer to a solution than some might think. Apple also has the high cost choice to deliver an iPod with multiple flash chips.

Now you may ask why would they do that? Well it is simple really and that would be to reserve the highest capacity chips for unreleased devices. That might even mean no upgrade for the Touch any time soon.

What would these devices be, how about:

A netbook machine of the common clam shell design.

More likely is a larger tablet developed around the iPhone family. The focus of this device would be media services, that is it would be more an iPod than a Mac.

A true Mac tablet. This has a very low possibility of becoming a reality simply because large tablets just aren't workable in my opinion.

A slightly larger iPod Touch that is smaller than the device in item 2 above and still pocketable. The idea here is to deliver a device with a much bigger screen in a package not too much bigger than todays Touch. That would be a device maybe 50-75 pixels higher and slightly wider than required to deliver a true HD screen ratio. I like to call this Newton 2.

Obviously we don't know about any of the above, only that Apple has been rumored to be working on such and that it's current highering practices indicate focus on this area. The thing is that any of these devices, if done right by Apple, will require a great deal of solid state storage. Especially the larger iPods as they would be expected to have more of a video focus.

Quote:

Thanks guys.

No problem! Just realize that this is for the most part speculation. This year I don't know what to make of MWSF. They may have a number of products and updates to release for the show or they may not. Not being privy to what caused Apple to drop out, any opinions expressed here are gut feelings not truths. At the very least I expect something like last year where something new (or updated) came out just every week for the first two months of the year.

What this all means is keep an eye on the rumor sites. Oh and don't jump the gun to quickly. The lack of interesting rumors indicates that the new stuff might not be ready yet.

Dave

PS

Another flyer here is that Micron has announced increased durability in both a SLC and a MLC device. Something that Apple might be interested in if the wanted to upgrade iPod durability.

D
  • Reply 4 of 4
    September 07 - iPod touch intro. 8GB, 16GB capacities.

Feburary 08 - iPod touch bump. 32GB capacity added.

September 08 - iPod touch refresh. No new sizes.

If history repeats itself, A 64GB version is coming early next year.