Best approach to converting .mkv files for iTunes/aTV/iPhone Compatibility?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2015
Yes I know all about Visual Hub, Handbrake, ffmpegX, etc, etc...My question isn't about what tool should be used, but more along the lines of how to use that specific tool as effectively as possible, given that which is most important to me (which I've listed below)...

Without complicating the issue, consider this...

If you had 10 .mkv files (Matroska Multimedia Container files) ranging from 4GB - 7GB in size, and you wanted to convert these files so that they could be viewed in iTunes, on your Apple TV, and/or on your iPhone, how would you do it?

Additional criteria that matters to me:
  • I don't really care if the movies show up in ultra mega super-duper hi-def in iTunes or on my aTV, just so long as it looks pretty darn good

• I would really like to avoid having each of these files show up as 4GB m4p files on my iPhone, so that I can avoid having 3 or 4 measly movies taking up all the space on my device...My ideal size range would be anywhere between 500MB (on the very low end of the scale) and 2.5GB (on the very high end of the scale)...somewhere right in the middle would probably be best...

• I would like to have a single file that was compatible with all of my devices, as opposed to having an aTV version of a movie, and an iPhone version of the same movie

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer with this issue (which is completely subjective I realize...but for this reason, the more input the merrier)...and please be as specific as you can regarding the precise settings you would choose for your chosen app, and why you would use them?

I know how to do this about 10 ten ways, and that's the problem...I'd like to know "THE" way (that works best for me of course, and with your input, hopefully I can figure that out!)...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I've had good luck using Perian to open the MKV files in Quicktime pro and then exporting them to whichever file format I want. It has presets for iPhone, iPod and AppleTV. I am not sure about how much space is actually saved by converting from MKV in this process. If you already have Quicktime Pro, it would be an easy experiment to try, as Perian is free.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    HandBreak is the way to go. It has AppleTV and iPod/iPhone presets as well as the ability to convert a file to a user defined target size.
  • Reply 3 of 6

Bros MKV to iPhone Converter for Mac makes it easy to convert mkv to iPhone, iPhone 4S with perfect video quality and easy steps no matter professionals or freshman you are, just free download to convert mkv to iPhone mac.

Except converting mkv files to iPhone on Mac, this MKV to iPhone Mac program also allows you to change the parameters of the video/audio like the bitrate, frame rate, resolution and other parameters.

• Reply 4 of 6

Here is the step-by-step instruction for  you: Best Way to Adding MKV files into iTunes on Mac

• Reply 5 of 6
    dwaanletdwaanlet Posts: 1member

Yeah, HandBreak is great, but it can't ensure the quality. After conversion, the quality of the file is worse than the source one. I feel disappoint. Then I had to turn to some paid third party MKV to iTunes software and found a guide about how to convert MKV to iTunes supported MP4/MOV. I think this software is worth after i tried it.

Better still, this software is free for playing MKV files. Now i'm considering to buy it or just use it to play MKV freely.

• Reply 6 of 6

You may also try iDealshare VideoGo which can convert MKV to iTunes and make MKV capable to sync across iTunes, iphone, ipad, ipod, Apple TV, etc. In addition, iDealshare VideoGo can batch convert AVI, WMV, MKV, MPG, FLV, 3GP, MPG to iTunes compatible formats easily.