How to speed up the iPhone 3G

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi all,

I've come from a Nokia E71 which is a very quick device and in comparison, the iPhone can seem quite sluggish. I want to check if there is anything I can do to the iPhone to speed it up, or if I'm doing anything wrong. One place where it is pretty slow is opening the 'settings' menu which takes a good 2 seconds for the list to appear everytime I open it. Is this normal? In addition, typing in Safari is very sluggish and the keyboard doesn't seem to be able to keep up with how fast I'm moving my fingers. I've already updated to 2.2, so this should have been fixed, but it doesn't appear to be. Is anyone else still having this problem? It also takes a good 2 seconds to load up my contacts etc, which are all features I'm used to accessing in a split second.

What I'm getting at is, is this the way it just is, or is there something wrong with my phone?

Thanks,

Michael.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Stop talking bs please. Sluggish?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Stop talking bs please. Sluggish?

WOW that's a super helpful post. Have you actually got anything useful to add?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Yes. Stop being an s60 fan boy.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Yes. Stop being an s60 fan boy.

I guess you're never too old to be stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    You would know.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

You would know.

What a delightfully helpful community this is...

Anyone who actually has something useful to suggest or say, please chime in. I want to know if there is something wrong with my iPhone, or if it just the way it is.

Many thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Your phone is probably buggered. I have never had any sluggish experiences except for when loading contacts but that was sorted with 2.1.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Your phone is probably buggered. I have never had any sluggish experiences except for when loading contacts but that was sorted with 2.1.

If it's broken then I shall exchange it for a new one
  • Reply 9 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'm on 2.1 and I find some things to be a bit slow. Typing on AI is very slow but I think this is to do with the animated smilies. Perhaps they should be turned off for iPhone users.

Version 2.x firmware is slower than 1.x when loading contacts and lots of messages. Hopefully, it will be improved in future.

I'll do a 2.2 update soon and see how it works. Some things you describe shouldn't be that slow. Try rebooting your iPhone if you haven't and if that doesn't help, do a backup/restore.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I also run into sluggishness using Address Book and Settings
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Right so it seems more and more likely that this is just the way it is, completely unhelped by the first person who responded on here. I posted on the Apple discussion board too where it was suggested I try a restore. I did this but the sluggishness is just the same so I think it's a problem with the phones software. It's a pity as it really tarnishes the impression the iphone e gives . I hope Apple fix this as a matter of urgency
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Right so it seems more and more likely that this is just the way it is, completely unhelped by the first person who responded on here. I posted on the Apple discussion board too where it was suggested I try a restore. I did this but the sluggishness is just the same so I think it's a problem with the phones software. It's a pity as it really tarnishes the impression the iphone e gives . I hope Apple fix this as a matter of urgency

Mrochester, we all know you work for a competitor.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sared View Post

Mrochester, we all know you work for a competitor.

Huh? What's that supposed to mean?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Hi there, sorry to hear you have been having a disappointing experience with your iPhone. I think it may just be the software that feels sluggish to you. It is sluggish at times. Especially when comparing it to older phones that are running simplified operating systems. Compared to other, newer phones, the iPhone is very responsive. I have played with the G1, the Instinct, and the Eternity. All these phones have a more modern OS like the iPhone, and none of them can keep up with the iPhone in responsiveness or elegance.

I suggest patience. Apple will continue to refine the iPhone OS and it will get faster as they issue updates. Another thing you could try is a clean install of the OS. Restore it, and then set it up as a new phone, don't restore from your backup. Note that you should save all notes and pictures and everything that's not on your computer since it will not be restored. Once restored, avoid installing any 3rd party Apps until you can use the phone for a while to see if the sluggishness remains. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Umm... Why haven't some of you upgraded to 2.2 ? iPhone 3G with 2.2 software and iPhone apps is overall quite responsive. If you still feel it is sluggish, then perhaps one might prefer a different brand of phone that responds differently.

That said, I hardly use Safari by itself, except to access this wonderful iPhone web app:

http://flame-research.110mb.com [shameless plug]

I use email, weather, stocks, evernote, tethering, etc. and I am running a custom Winterboard theme. Given my iPhone 3G is a jailbroken 2.2 with the latest baseband, etc. and also a custom theme, response is alright. Minimal contact list lag.

Let me just say I have never used any other mobile phone that has come close to my current level of satisfaction.

• Reply 16 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Ignore the unhelpful people.

Now, all said and done, you need to do a total fresh restore to iPhone3G Software Version 2.2

I would be surprised if it was still considered distinctly sluggish compared to Nokia, etc. models.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ignore the unhelpful people.

Now, all said and done, you need to do a total fresh restore to iPhone3G Software Version 2.2

I would be surprised if it was still considered distinctly sluggish compared to Nokia, etc. models.

Done that, twice now, and yes, it is still slower than Nokia phones at typing in a browser window, loading up contacts, settings etc. I guess waiting for a firmware update to fix it is all I can do (that or return it, but I feel as if I can put up with it for now, in the knowledge that Apple *will* fix it!).
  • Reply 18 of 25
    saredsared Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Done that, twice now, and yes, it is still slower than Nokia phones at typing in a browser window, loading up contacts, settings etc. I guess waiting for a firmware update to fix it is all I can do (that or return it, but I feel as if I can put up with it for now, in the knowledge that Apple *will* fix it!).

maybe you should go back to your nokia
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sared View Post

maybe you should go back to your nokia

I'm keeping the iPhone for the free data I get for 12 months. It's just a pity that little things like this tarnish an otherwise decent phone. I have faith that Apple will fix it. I can always put the sim card in another phone if it becomes unbearable, although I understand O2 aren't very keen on you doing that !
  • Reply 20 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I can always put the sim card in another phone if it becomes unbearable, although I understand O2 aren't very keen on you doing that !

They will actually suspend your data access if they detect the sim being used in anything other than an iphone but they'll warn you first.

What is the firmware version you have on the iphone btw?

Go to settings > general > about > version

and the code in the brackets. Mine is 5G77.

Is your phone going this slowly?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nLoAWRU0mHE