Newb Questions - Transition from Windows to OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, i still use windows on my PC but i would like to set up my OSX to operate in the same ways for some things.

1. Home / End keys on keyboard how can i change those to operate how they would on windows where when focusing on text clicking those keys takes you to the end of the line or the beginning. I tried changing my preferences like a couple sites said but it doesnt seem to work in anything but firefox.

2. When clicking on a ICON from the DOCK i would like it to open a new instance of the APP. For example i already have firefox open and i click on the firefox icon on the dock, i want it to open a new instance of the app, not bring the current instance of the app to focus.

3. I cant for the life of me figure out how to configure button 4 & 5 on my mouse. Mainly i want to use them for going forward/backwards like when browsing or evening using Finder.

4. When you have multiple versions of an app open you can visually see this in the Windows Task bar, is it possible to set up the DOCK or some 3rd party app to support that? I have 4 ICONS on my DOCK and thats all ill ever have so im not worried about space.

5a. When using spaces and i have lets say in section #1 firefox open and i move to section #2 and trying to open firefox it will just go back to section #1 and bring firefox to focus. So i would instead like it to open a new instance of the APP i click in that space.

5b. Is it at all possible with spaces to take a current instance of a program and somehow move it to a different space?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I'll give some of these a shot but most of what you request are unique GUI settings to Windows

1. Don't know

2. Can't do

3. You need OS X specific drivers for your mouse... if they make them

4. Can't do. OS X uses Expose and Spaces as a work around for this

5a. Does this happen when you open a new window and drag that new window into the second space?

5b Yes, simply open an application in a space or drag a window from one space to another in the bird?s-eye view.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post

Hi, i still use windows on my PC but i would like to set up my OSX to operate in the same ways for some things.

1. Home / End keys on keyboard how can i change those to operate how they would on windows where when focusing on text clicking those keys takes you to the end of the line or the beginning. I tried changing my preferences like a couple sites said but it doesnt seem to work in anything but firefox.

2. When clicking on a ICON from the DOCK i would like it to open a new instance of the APP. For example i already have firefox open and i click on the firefox icon on the dock, i want it to open a new instance of the app, not bring the current instance of the app to focus.

3. I cant for the life of me figure out how to configure button 4 & 5 on my mouse. Mainly i want to use them for going forward/backwards like when browsing or evening using Finder.

4. When you have multiple versions of an app open you can visually see this in the Windows Task bar, is it possible to set up the DOCK or some 3rd party app to support that? I have 4 ICONS on my DOCK and thats all ill ever have so im not worried about space.

5a. When using spaces and i have lets say in section #1 firefox open and i move to section #2 and trying to open firefox it will just go back to section #1 and bring firefox to focus. So i would instead like it to open a new instance of the APP i click in that space.

5b. Is it at all possible with spaces to take a current instance of a program and somehow move it to a different space?

2. Apple Key + N will open up a new window

3. What mouse are you using? If it is third party, you have to install the software for it and you can program the buttons in System Preferences.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

A word to the wise: MacOS X is not a version of Windows. You would make much better use of your time if you devoted it to learning your new OS than trying to turn it into your old OS.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

A word to the wise: MacOS X is not a version of Windows. You would make much better use of your time if you devoted it to learning your new OS than trying to turn it into your old OS.

I agree completely.

-----

Regarding configuring a mouse, try SteerMouse:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...teermouse.html
  • Reply 5 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I don't think he was suggesting that he didn't want to learn OS X, simply, he wanted ways to make the transition easier. Showing him work arounds and offering up new ideas to accomplish the same tasks that would be equal to or even offer greater convenience is the answers he's needs, not lectures.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I don't think he was suggesting that he didn't want to learn OS X, ...

That would be all good and fine if the OP were asking about performing a specific task or groups of tasks. That is something that even veteran Mac users like me can understand. The OP wants to make the Mac behave in a general way like Windows. In a real sense, the transition that he is trying to make is to transition his Mac into a Windows-like GUI.

The OP is in a new land. He should learn new ways.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

1. I presume you want the Home/End keys to move by lines of text rather than the beginning/end of a text block? If so, I've no idea.

2. Command+N brings up a new window in Firefox; alternatively, you can achieve the same effect with File>New Window (redundant with the shortcut on hand).

3. As aforementioned, try looking for software to configure your mouse, or if the manufacturer's site offers Mac drivers for said mouse, you could try to obtain them.

4. If you mean to see an overview of opened apps, press F9 (Expose).

5a/b. I've not fiddled with Spaces quite yet, I can't offer any advice on it.

So far as adjusting, take it easy for a bit; learn the feel of the OS, look through shortcuts to make your life with it much easier. OSX is simplistic yet versatile, and in my opinion, is superior to Windows in form and function.

You might also check video repositories for tutorials for various aspects of the OS as well.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    1. Just use Apple + Left/Right Arrow key. That'll move from to the left or right-most of the line ur cursor is on.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't want to pile on but as the others have mentioned, OSX isn't windows and you shouldn't try to use it the same way you would windows.

The dock is not the task bar. IMO, you need to use it as a launcher, not just to see what apps are opened. Put any and all programs that you use in the dock. Have a file folder you you use a lot? Then stick it in the dock as well. Oh, and use spotlight as a program and file launcher as well. This will reduce the use of the finder. If you find yourself launching finder a lot, then your missing what makes OSX different and arguably better than windows.

And yeah, expose is your friend. Learn to use it because you'll find yourself opening and using lots of apps. Keep them open. Switch between them with expose. I cringe when I see windows users open an app, work with document, close it and then reopen it to work with another document. You will be surprised how much more efficient you'll be by leaving apps open, most apps don't 'quit', when you click the red button in OSX.

Eventually, you'll configure your machine to open your favorite apps when it boots up. Every time I start my MBP, Stickies and iCal open up for me.

Hang out here or other Mac forums and you'll be surprised what you will learn.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Hi uhohhotdog. I noticed 3 of your questions deal with multiple instances of the same app. I'm not trying to get off topic - but what is it you're trying to do? Maybe someone can explain a "Mac way" to do it if we know what it is you're trying to accomplish.