New shuffle, cheaper iPhone and MacBooks seen in 2009

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
FBR Capital Markets said Wednesday that it believes that Apple is gearing up to release several new products during the first half of 2009, including a new version of the iPod shuffle and cheaper versions of its flagship iPhone and MacBook offerings.

"Our contacts see a lower-cost version of the iPhone, possibly in mid [second quarter]," analyst Craig Berger wrote in a research report to clients. "Apparently, Qualcomm is replacing Infineon as the baseband supplier in this device. Some call this device the 'iPhone Nano'; whatever one calls it, we believe this device is on its way."

The analyst also anticipates the release of two other low-cost products from the Cupertino-based company by the time summer rolls around. The first, he said, is a "new and smaller version" of the iPod Shuffle that may appear some time during the first quarter. The other devices is a "cheaper MacBook," though the analyst does not believe the new model will qualify as a netbook.

Berger, who sports a questionable track record with his Apple-related predictions, added in his report that his contacts indicate that fourth quarter iPhone production fell 53 percent sequentially, which is "worse than last month's check of down 48 percent sequentially."

"Note that we do not believe our quarterly production build volume comparisons are highly correlated with actual sales of these devices by Apple," he said. "Instead, we like to track this data for a directional/momentum read into chip suppliers [...] and to ascertain whether supply chain restocking needs to occur."

Therefore, the analyst said its possible that consumers could have purchased a theoretical maximum of 10 million iPhones during the soon-to-end fourth quarter of 2008, assuming Apple sold through its inventory of more than 2 million devices that remained in its channel at the end of the third quarter.

Separately, AppleInsider has picked up on some chatter of a new iPod shuffle that would be incredibly flat and shaped similar to a credit card with just enough thickness for a headphone jack at one end. However, AppleInsider has been unable to confirm these reports with any degree of certainty. As such, readers should treat this information as nothing more than a rumor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    This is sweet!! I would like to see an update to the iphone 3G though
  • Reply 2 of 67
    A smaller shuffle? Yikes! But I could see a shuffle with a display on one side and the buttons on the back, which you'd press while looking at the display.

Or how about this, the iPod Shuffle Touch. All screen on the front, five transparent touch sensitive spots and they show the wheel on screen and you use it as usual, but now you can circle around the ring, it can show names and playlists, and the album cover while its playing a song! That's my prediction! And for my detailed prediction for the Apple NetPad, see my blog http://myallo.com/blog
  • Reply 3 of 67
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I just bought a Shuffle and don't see any benefit of making it smaller. The clip has to remain and if the buttons get moved or get any smaller then my fat fingers won't keep up.

It would be nice to have a small display on it though that would tell you simple things like the current song info and the next song in line. The display isn't necessary though.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

A smaller shuffle? Yikes!

Exactly. My Shuffle was so small I forgot about it my pants pocket where it got throughly washed and done for.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    What we need is not a cheaper iPhone, but a cheaper iPhone PLAN! AT&T's rates are too high. If the iPhone were available through more than one vendor, and they had to compete against each other with the cost of their plans, then we might see something that would actually benefit the consumer.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    New shuffle in 2009? Wow this guy is amazing,
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Wow, I am amped to see the price drops in the Macbook Series! =D

I think Apple is getting their head's outa their asses by lowering the prices a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    What we need is a Verizon based iPhone 3G. You want to see iPhone sales skyrocket...there ya go! I don't mind AT&T, but its service is nothing compared to what Verizon offers, especially its 3G network.

I know it won't happen...but one could only hope!

I agree that Apple needs to lower its prices across the board. Enough with this make 40% profit (or whatever it is) off every product sold crap. These are hard times and I think it would be nice if Apple gave its customers a break. Its not like Apple is struggling for money these days, nor will it be in 2009 or 2010.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

What we need is not a cheaper iPhone, but a cheaper iPhone PLAN! AT&T's rates are too high. If the iPhone were available through more than one vendor, and they had to compete against each other with the cost of their plans, then we might see something that would actually benefit the consumer.

You must not shop around for other wireless data plans because all of the US carriers are charging $30 for smartphone data plans. Verizon is now requiring a data plan for all smartphones where AT&T only require it with the iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevzaz View Post

Wow, I am amped to see the price drops in the Macbook Series! =D

I think Apple is getting their head's outa their asses by lowering the prices a bit.

It is nice to see but expect some major hobbling of some sort to differentiate it from the regularly priced Macbooks.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Sorry, but I doubt it, if it goes down any it might be $100 less.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajneuman View Post

You must not shop around for other wireless data plans because all of the US carriers are charging $30 for smartphone data plans.

T-Mobile data&messaging is $15.

Add that to their lowest voice plan of $30 comes out to $45.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What we need is a Verizon based iPhone 3G. You want to see iPhone sales skyrocket...there ya go! I don't mind AT&T, but its service is nothing compared to what Verizon offers, especially its 3G network.

I know it won't happen...but one could only hope!

Your absolutely right! A Version iPhone would be the ticket. AT&T needs to dry up and wither away. The oldest Monopoly in existence and they are only staying alive by buying up everything they can to stay in business because they have treated their customers so bad in the past via land lines. Now since the move to cell phones AT&T sees that they are missing out on the phone business because people want good phone service without the high prices associated with them, i.e. US long distance with out long distance prices. AT&T buys up cell phone carriers in attempts to maintain this monopoly they have and and still offering poor service and increasing their cell phone prices in order to compensate for the massive loss of land line customers.

I am not saying that there should only be one, two or three carriers but what I am saying is that there needs to be more than there are now so that there will be competition amongst them in order that the customer has a good choice and fair prices.

I think one of the biggest problems that AT&T has made is over saturation of their own 3G network without having the proper infrastructure in place. Of course this is only an opinion but it seems to be plausible.

There are my two cents for the day. You do not have to agree because it is only one persons opinion...

Good Day...
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Still, 100 off is better than nothing. It would make me happier, and one step closer to getting a Macbook. And yes, The iPhone REALLY needs to come to verizon....
  • Reply 15 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Macintosh View Post

Your absolutely right! A Version iPhone would be the ticket. AT&T needs to dry up and wither away. The oldest Monopoly in existence and they are only staying alive by buying up everything they can to stay in business because they have treated their customers so bad in the past via land lines. Now since the move to cell phones AT&T sees that they are missing out on the phone business because people want good phone service without the high prices associated with them, i.e. US long distance with out long distance prices. AT&T buys up cell phone carriers in attempts to maintain this monopoly they have and and still offering poor service and increasing their cell phone prices in order to compensate for the massive loss of land line customers.

Many people make the mistake of assuming that the current AT&T company is the old 'Ma Bell' when in fact it is just a name. if you look into the actual history of acquisitions you will discover that it is SBC (Southwestern Bell) which has acquired the original 'Baby Bells' and the old AT&T (which was only a long distance company at the time) and then assumed the AT&T name and (T) ticker symbol.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

New shuffle in 2009? Wow this guy is amazing,

Only thing I'd like to see them do to the shuffle is waterproof it so I can take it underwater or into the rain. I still love the clip on aspect of it.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Never saw myself as a laptop user, but if Apple release something cheaper, I might spring for my 3rd Mac, the Quadcore iMac would make 4
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Only thing I'd like to see them do to the shuffle is waterproof it so I can take it underwater or into the rain.

Or accidentally into the wash like I did.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    RE: "As such, readers should treat this information as nothing more than a rumor."

Imagine that...what am I reading now, "Apple Rumors" or "AppleInsider?"
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What we need is a Verizon based iPhone 3G. You want to see iPhone sales skyrocket... there ya go! I don't mind AT&T, but its service is nothing compared to what Verizon offers, especially its 3G network.

I totally, absolutely, completely agree with every word. Besides, I need to replace my beaten and battered LG clam phone... been holding out for something great.

Also, I work for a telco infrastructure provider, and from the figures I've seen, I can say for sure Verizon Wireless (Verizon is actually a separate company) has been spending boat loads more on beefing up/extending their 3G network (and preping its next-gen network!) than AT&T has been. Verizon Wireless = win/win for Apple all the way around.