Macworld site rife with concealed banners (photos)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite lessened expectations for next week's Macworld Expo, the Moscone Center venue for the trade show already sports roughly a dozen sprawling, cloth-concealed banners that hint at several product announcements.

Five banners shrouded by white cloth, approximately 60 feet in length, can be seen immediately upon entering the Moscone South Hall. Three hang just above eye level on the ground level while the other two sit just above the entrance to the south hall exhibits.

Inside, contractors have recently begun to piece together Apple's booth, where another half dozen or so banners can be seen concealed by black cloth. At least one narrow banner spans the width of the booth while a few others run the height of the hall, from the ceiling to the floor. (The banner setup looks similar to last year's).

Meanwhile, a Mira Mobile production crew was in full swing outside the Moscone West, apparently partaking in a dry run of next Tuesday's inaugural keynote address, to be hosted by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller.

We snapped a photo of the rehearsal live feed through the open door of Mira's mobile unit. The individual on stage wasn't Schiller, and actually looked more like Al Gore or Intel chief Paul Otellini. Probably just a random tech guy...

A bird's eye view of the Moscone South.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    oooh.. ooh.. I know.. I know! The banners will read "There's something else in the Air" and Schiller will introduce the all new MacBook Air!
  • Reply 2 of 78
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Dear Phil

May the force be with you. \
  • Reply 3 of 78
    I stand by my feeling that, due to it's being their last appearance at MWSF and the absence of The Steve, Apple needs to put to a good show and thus we can expect quite a few goodies.

Many of the picts, though, show one wide banner, suggesting to me that lots of things are linked: the expanding cloud (iLife, iWork) comes to mind.

iLife and iWork will become '09's, and some hardware goodies (iMac, mini) and even a slight touch on Snow Leopard.

Don't forget the new iPods and iPhone.

Dunno.

Temporary Insanity!
  • Reply 4 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I stand by my feeling that, due to it's being their last appearance at MWSF and the absence of The Steve, Apple needs to put to a good show and thus we can expect quite a few goodies.

Many of the picts, though, show one wide banner, suggesting to me that lots of things are linked: the expanding cloud (iLife, iWork) comes to mind.

iLife and iWork will become '09's, and some hardware goodies (iMac, mini) and even a slight touch on Snow Leopard.

Don't forget the new iPods and iPhone.

Dunno.

Temporary Insanity!

We already got new iPods so you can count that one out..... I don't plan to see anything overwhelming but hey, that's just me. What do I know.

As for the picture labeled as "who is this?" dunno, probably just the guy that sets up the stage, tests the audio/video....why does it seem so significant anyway?
  • Reply 5 of 78
    It does if it's Paul from Intel as it would signal something large; Al Gore, well, he is big.

"Random Tech Guy" is great.

"Hi, nice to meet you. I'm an RTG."
  • Reply 6 of 78
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

As for the picture labeled as "who is this?" dunno, probably just the guy that sets up the stage, tests the audio/video....why does it seem so significant anyway?

Haha, AppleInsider was being playful (for lack of a better word). Read the text at the top.

Agreed AppleInsider, your first guess was right: Al Gore!!
  • Reply 7 of 78
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Who is this?

This is the reason I come to AI for news - you guys ask the only questions that matter!
  • Reply 8 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    hey AI, was there a reason why you had someone spend time telling us NOTHING

I mean really. talk about a non article. we could guess that IDG is getting the Center ready, we could guess that they would do tech setup and rehearsal for the Apple Keynote.

but wasting time posting a bunch of photos of nothing.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Because it feeds our insatiable anticipation!
  • Reply 10 of 78
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the only thing worse than an article about insignificant news is bothering to post just to complain about it. i'm hoping "one more thing" on tuesday involves steve getting on stage as a surprise...

with a tablet computing device, and lots of home media integration hardware.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I disagree. Your statement implies that leaving MacWorld is some indication that Apple is going on so this is their chance to go out with a bang.

It is not. It is just them changing how they announce items to the world. And it's about time. Trade shows are old school and came about when there wasn't the Web, streaming video, etc to handle such things. Companies needed Trade Shows to gather the press for them to allow for big flashy announcements.

These days, Trade Shows need Companies more than the other way around. Apple, Adobe and a handful of others have figured this out and are moving to saving time and money by not attending, not to mention that they can release and announce on their own schedule and won't have to save the big stuff for the next X show.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Quote:

I mean really. talk about a non article. we could guess that IDG is getting the Center ready, we could guess that they would do tech setup and rehearsal for the Apple Keynote.

but wasting time posting a bunch of photos of nothing.

Have a bad day or something?
  • Reply 13 of 78
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    Quote:

...Trade shows are old school and came about when there wasn't the Web, streaming video, etc to handle such things. Companies needed Trade Shows to gather the press for them to allow for big flashy announcements.

These days, Trade Shows need Companies more than the other way around. Apple, Adobe and a handful of others have figured this out and are moving to saving time and money by not attending, not to mention that they can release and announce on their own schedule and won't have to save the big stuff for the next X show.

But if trade shows go the way of the dinosaur, how will employees justify vaca... ahem, I mean business trips to Las Vegas, or Orlando, or a number of other popular "business" destinations???
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:

I disagree. Your statement implies that leaving MacWorld is some indication that Apple is going on so this is their chance to go out with a bang.

It is not. It is just them changing how they announce items to the world. And it's about time. Trade shows are old school and came about when there wasn't the Web, streaming video, etc to handle such things. Companies needed Trade Shows to gather the press for them to allow for big flashy announcements.

In the case of Adobe they have plenty of Adobe-focused shows to choose from. Also, while still one of the larger Mac developers, they don't need to waste marketing dollars when they already have a virtual monopoly in their primary markets.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post

But if trade shows go the way of the dinosaur, how will employees justify vaca... ahem, I mean business trips to Las Vegas, or Orlando, or a number of other popular "business" destinations???

I think MacWorld should focus on smaller regional shows and smaller developers and companies.

Keep it cost effective for vendors/exhibitors and attendees.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Why don't you guys try to photograph or film these banner with some kind of X-Ray or Infra-red filter? That would be interesting!
  • Reply 17 of 78
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    "Who is this?"

Hey AppleInsider...those are called ROADIES! Get out and go to a concert once in awhile!

The banners read, "Thanks for spending money on Macworld. All we have is a boring update to the Mac Mini and we are still working on Snow Leopard."

Or, the banners are from other vendors that say, "Thank God we finally get attention now."

Macworld is more for the independent vendors, not Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I already know what we will read here on Jan 5th afternoon. No matter what Apple does the same people will post the following every time after every Apple event.

-"That's it?!"

-"This is the worst Apple event ever!"

-"Disappointing!"

-"You don't need an event for that?!"

-etc..

I think they already started typing their posts
  • Reply 19 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wow, concealed posters, it's "rife" with them. Thank God I have an actual life. All these posters could be for the iDildo. Means nothing. It's like looking into the drum that contains the lottery balls and saying; "imagine, the winning combination is in that drum". I hate the week leading up to Apple events, so many stories about "nothing".

Quote:

Who is this?

Wow, moving on.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Some people will always try to spoil it for everyone.