Sources: 17-inch MacBook Pro, NVIDIA Mac mini due shortly

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple as early as Tuesday will introduce a 17-inch MacBook Pro with a fixed internal battery and a new version of the Mac mini, both of which will feature chipsets from NVIDIA, AppleInsider has been able to independently confirm.

People familiar with the matter say both products are due to begin shipping this month but stopped short corroborating a Macworld introduction. That said, this week's trade show would seem the most likely forum for Apple to announce the new offerings.

In what's sure to be a controversial move on the part of the Mac maker, those familiar with the new unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro confirm that it will not share the same panel-covered battery layout as its 13- and 15-inch cousins. Instead, the notebook's battery will be fixed in place and not easily removable by users, similar to the MacBook Air's.

Additionally, AppleInsider can also confirm that a similarly-timed makeover to the Mac mini will see the diminutive desktop adopt chipsets from NVIDIA's MCP79 platform, as was previously implied by discoveries within the resource files of a Mac OS X build train that shipped on the latest MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

In addition to sporting both a Mini DisplayPort and a Mini DVI connector, it's now also rumored that the new Mac mini will see the addition of a FireWire 800 port and a fifth USB port, with the legacy FireWire 400 port going away. The Mini DVI connector will allow the mini to continue to cater to users who already own a display, while the Mini DisplayPort will offer support for customers of Apple's latest LED-backlit Cinema Display.

AppleInsider reported in October that the 17-inch unibody MacBook Pro was delayed by several months as Apple focused on working out some design kinks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to sporting both a Mini DisplayPort and a Mini DVI connector, it's now also rumored that the new Mac mini will see the addition of a FireWire 800 port

That'll sure please the unibody MacBook owners
  • Reply 2 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Why's that?
  • Reply 3 of 118
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Just put a DVR in the mac mini and all the frustration already.
  • Reply 4 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noriyori View Post

Why's that?

No Firewire options unless you go for a MacBook Pro
  • Reply 5 of 118
    I'd say it doesn't make sense for the 15" mbp to have a removable battery, but not the 17". It probably has something to do with structural rigidity for the larger macbook, but maybe there's an additional benefit.
  • Reply 6 of 118
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    If the Mini has 2.2GHz + CPUs, it's going to be a great update.

2.2GHz

128GB SSD

4GB Ram

Nvidia graphics faster than the X1600

That is an ideal home computer for people who just need that bit extra performance.

The lower CPU doesn't matter much because with OpenCL, there's 16 cores in the graphics chip to play with.

I hope they make it easier to open too though. I want to upgrade my own hard drive and Ram.

The addition of firewire 800 is icing on the cake. It's a shame that it didn't go on the Macbook because it'll be Apple's only machine without firewire and probably one of the most popular.

It couldn't fit though and the cost is already high. I still maintain they should have dropped ethernet for firewire and have people use a USB -> ethernet adaptor but no point complaining now because the choice was made and you just have to live with it.

I'm actually genuinely interested in an Apple event for the first time in years. I'm just sad that I have to listen to Phil Schiller because I think he's one of the worst presenters at Apple. Not as bad as Bertrand Serlet and not as boring as Tim Cook but not that much fun to listen to.
  • Reply 7 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

By an Elgato USB DVR receiver and you're set.
  • Reply 8 of 118
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

The Mini DVI connector will allow the mini to continue to cater to users who already own a display.

Except that no display with a Mini DVI connector exists (but at least one with a Mini Displayport). Sure, Mini DVI to DVI adaptors are cheaper and actually available (compared to Mini DP to DVI adaptors). But why apart from a few saved square millimetres one would choose a Mini-DVI over a DVI port is beyond me (on a 13" laptop on argue about this but not on a desktop not even a compact one like the Mac mini, make it 1 millimetre higher and wider, nobody will notice and include a standard DVI port).
  • Reply 9 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

2.2GHz

128GB SSD

4GB Ram

That is an ideal home computer for people who just need that bit extra performance.

The lower CPU doesn't matter much because with OpenCL, there's 16 cores in the graphics chip to play with.

I hope they make it easier to open too though. I want to upgrade my own hard drive and Ram.

The addition of firewire 800 is icing on the cake. It's a shame that it didn't go on the Macbook because it'll be Apple's only machine without firewire and probably one of the most popular.

It couldn't fit though and the cost is already high. I still maintain they should have dropped ethernet for firewire and have people use a USB -> ethernet adaptor but no point complaining now because the choice was made and you just have to live with it.

I'm actually genuinely interested in an Apple event for the first time in years. I'm just sad that I have to listen to Phil Schiller because I think he's one of the worst presenters at Apple. Not as bad as Bertrand Serlet and not as boring as Tim Cook but not that much fun to listen to.

Hey, I like Phil Schiller lol.
  • Reply 10 of 118
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    What doesn't make sense is why Apple continues to use aging Firewire ports instead of the much faster eSATA ports.
  • Reply 11 of 118
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

By an Elgato USB DVR receiver and you're set.

Got one, it works okay, but having to transcode everything into iTunes to be able to watch on my AppleTvs spread through the house is a pain. I am sure some people like it, but it's just not for me.
  • Reply 12 of 118
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Well, the real killer will be if they announce a huge price drop on Mac Mini. Like bring them back to that $500 margin. Lately it's been nothing but price increases among the whole Mac line...
  • Reply 13 of 118
    Quote:

Got one, it works okay, but having to transcode everything into iTunes to be able to watch on my AppleTvs spread through the house is a pain. I am sure some people like it, but it's just not for me.

Elgato won't record in H.264?
  • Reply 14 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What doesn't make sense is why Apple continues to use aging Firewire ports instead of the much faster eSATA ports.

1) FireWire is more popular that eSATA.

2) eSATA doesn't supply power.

3) Other benefits to FW that have been discussed ad nauseam when the new MB was released.
  • Reply 15 of 118
    Quote:

Oh noes, best take that one over to the No Firewire! thread

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=92061&page=40
  • Reply 16 of 118
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

2.2GHz

128GB SSD

4GB Ram

The mini never used that graphics chip so I'm not sure what the point is. The only good thing is that the 9400M is a lot faster than the Minis current GPU.

Quote:

If the machine is only dual core it won't be good enough in my mind. At least not considering the prices Apple products sell at.

Quote:

This is the part I disagree with the most and prompted this response. OpenCL will only be of an advantage on machines written to take advantage of it and then only if those resources are free. It does take much to tie up those 16 GPU cores for example.

This means one can not expect any existing software to leverage OpenCL unless it does so through upgraded Apple libraries. Even in the future a lot of software will never bother with OpenCL, either because it is not worth while or bevause the GPU is not the place to do the computation.

The need for good CPU performance doesn't go away with OpenCL it really depends on the problem domain and it's suitability to GPU acceleration.

Quote:

Actually I agree with this one. I do hope this gets noted at Apple but to be honest I think the do the cases the way they do on purpose. It probably makes for a more reliable machine with far less warranty work than others.

Quote:

If FireWire 800 is there I will take it as a very good sign.

As to the MacBook that is an interesting situation but I don't think they had as much choice with that machine. I still think UniBody costs them a relative fortune and deleting FireWire was simple cost control.

Quote:

As to Ethernet that would have been an even bigger mistake. The problem being the huge number of people that use wired only networks.

In any event this idea that there is nothing you can do about it is defeatist and just plain wrong. You can voice your opinion at Apple and not buy the MacBook. Contrary to popular opinion Apple does listen.

Quote:

Well this is an issue as Steve had his way. Hopefully he had a hand in one or more of the devices to debut. The hope is that would mean more emotional involvement and this exciting delivery.

On the otherhand I have to give the guy a little applause as it isn't easy. Of all the stuff I had to do in college communications class was the worst. For some it is natural but for many of us it is the worst experience of college life. They say practice makes perfect so maybe Phol has improved.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 118
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Elgato won't record in H.264?

On digital transmissions, the Elgato Hybrid does bitstream recording, which is up to 20Mbps, and done in MPEG-2. The software can convert to H.264 afterwards, but it's a very slow conversion. I don't know about their other products. I have an old Elgato Firewire box that saves directly to some version of MPEG-4, but it sounds like maybe it won't work with future minis.
  • Reply 18 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On digital transmissions, the Elgato Hybrid does bitstream recording, which is up to 20Mbps, and done in MPEG-2. The software can convert to H.264 afterwards, but it's a very slow conversion. I don't know about their other products. I have an old Elgato Firewire box that saves directly to some version of MPEG-4, but it sounds like maybe it won't work with future minis.

Starting with MPEG-2 and then having you convert from only lossy codec to another! That seems like a very bad choice, especially for a Mac-focused company.
  • Reply 19 of 118
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

• If you are not a unibody MacBook owner but are nevertheless bitching about the lack of FireWire ports then you are offering what's known as a "baseless critique."

• If you are unibody MacBook owner but still need of FireWire ports, then it was pretty much a foolish purchase.

At the end of the day, if you are a unibody MacBook owner but are not satisfied with it, you are in a tiny minority of MacBook owners.
  • Reply 20 of 118
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

If they made the decision to purchase it knowing there was no Firewire, why would this upset them? The MB obviously met their needs well enough that they didn't get a MBP. Besides, if they wanted a desktop, they could have bought the current mini instead of the MB.

Quote:

And just what tuner would they use? A very small percentage of US households get TV over the air. And trying to integrate a recording device with your cable or satellite provider is painful at best (just ask TiVo how that's going for them). This is much better left as an add-on component, not something built in. That way it can be easily upgraded as tuning standards change (ie, CableCard, Tru2Way, or whatever they call it these days).

Quote:

2.2GHz

128GB SSD

4GB Ram

Hm, that 128 GB SSD just doubled the price of the mini...brilliant!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Except that no display with a Mini DVI connector exists (but at least one with a Mini Displayport). Sure, Mini DVI to DVI adaptors are cheaper and actually available (compared to Mini DP to DVI adaptors). But why apart from a few saved square millimetres one would choose a Mini-DVI over a DVI port is beyond me (on a 13" laptop on argue about this but not on a desktop not even a compact one like the Mac mini, make it 1 millimetre higher and wider, nobody will notice and include a standard DVI port).

An extra millimeter? Have you ever compared the two? A standard DVI connector is roughly 2-3x wider than mini-DVI! Apple can probably get both the mDP and the mini-DVI connector in less space than the current full-size DVI on the mini.

Quote:

Because eSATA is a one-trick pony and is even less common than the more versatile Firewire on hard drives. Are there even any eSATA drives that don't also have Firewire?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Well, the real killer will be if they announce a huge price drop on Mac Mini. Like bring them back to that $500 margin. Lately it's been nothing but price increases among the whole Mac line...

Getting back to the original $499 price tag for the base model would sweet!!